It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
(male)

doglover HB User
Blood Sugar Is Borderline at 116. What Do I Do Now?

I went to teh doctor and they were checking my iron levels. In addition to that, they went ahead and checked my blood sugar as well. Since they get the results after you leave, I did not get a chance to speak to the doctor about this.

The report said, "Blood Sugar Is Borderline at 116". I do not know what that means except that I may be close to diabetes.

besides going back to the doctor and reading this board, I am not sure what to do.

Do I change eating habits, excercise, lose weight or what.

If anyone can lead me in the right direction, I woudl truly appreciate it.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User
Re: Blood Sugar Is Borderline at 116. What Do I Do Now?

The doctor will probably call you in for a second test. A fasting blood sugar between 110 and 126 suggests that you have what is called Impaired Fasting Glucose, but it needs to be confirmed by a second test. It would mean that, while you are not a Diabetic yet, your body is clearly having difficulty metabolising glucose. All those things you mentioned would help - changing diet, getting more exercise, and losing weight.

Try to cut back on those foods that contain "empty calories". Sodas, which are loaded with sugar, are the worst culprit. But need to go easy on anything made with sugar and/or flour. Also limit your consumption of all the white foods - rice, potatoes, pasta, bread etc. Getting exercise and losing weight will also make a big difference. Good luck.

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread