It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

Heylucy HB User
Diabetes Type 2

Hello to everyone, I'm new at this. My first post to this site. I'm looking for help.

I suspect my husband is heading toward diabetes II. He is about 350 pounds, age 40, heavy around the middle, seditary lifestyle. He basically sits at a computer all day long and is a carb junkie. He loves food, snacks, drinks. He has a history of heart problems in his family, his grandfather on his mother's side, died of a heart attack at age 46.

Recently he has not been feeling well. About a year ago, he had a slip and fall and received a concusion. Then about the same time, he got pneumonia. I have read that a viral infection (like pneumonia) can trigger diabetes. Since the pneumonia, he has not been the same since. He has ongoing headaches (migraines) now for the last year. He thinks its from the fall, but I'm starting to think it is from highs and lows on blood sugar. I've been trying to keep a diary and I have noticed that when he eats alot of carbs, about 2-3 hours later he is popping pain pills for a migraine. He has frothy urine (maybe due to the drugs pain pills), his hair is thinning, his complexion is pale (under the suntan) something only a wife would notice, he's irritable all the time (at the least little thing), his eyes seem like they are bulging, his ankles are swollen (I think from kidney problems), even his legs look swollen to me. For those of you into iridology, he has (light brown) spots in the kidney and pancreas areas. (I'm not an iridology expert, just looking for signs of trouble).

I tried to suggest to him that I thought he might be headed for diabetes, and he tells me, "What makes you the expert?" He won't even check it out. I think he's in denial, refuses to change and continues to eat what he wants, pizza, rolls, mashed potatoes, rice, bread, bread and bread. I've seen him wake up in the middle of the night and shovel a handful of crackers into his mouth trying to get a carb fix.

For those of you who have diabetes, can you please help me know what to look for (more than what I'm noticing). I don't think he has the extreme thirst yet, or the frequent urinating. Does this or can this come on suddenly with type 2 diabetes. Four months ago he had his blood work done, for the headaches from the fall - and his blood glucose was 91.

It seems to me that he has all the symptoms of diabetes EXCEPT the extreme thirst and urination. What does everyone think. He won't go get tested, because he doesn't have this. According to him. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

catherine2282 HB User
Re: Diabetes Type 2

With type 2, the thirst and frequent urination usually comes after having the disease for a while. Type 2 is such that you can have it for a long time, not treat it and still not be "sick". With type 1 you get sick really quickly.

However, with a sugar level of 92, your husband isn't even in pre diabetes, I don't think. If it hit 100 or more (forgive me, I"m working with canadian numbers here so my conversions are a bit rough) then he'd be pre diabetic.

Unfortunately, only your husband can change his ways. It's great that you are so caring (your husband is very lucky!!!), but unless he WANTS to change or feels a need to, there's not a lot you will be able to do.

Do you do the food shopping? Because if you do, you could stop bringing the bad stuff into your home, which would make him "work" for his bad foods -- to go to the store and get it himself. A lot of people who overeat do it because it's there. When it's not there they won't make an effort to go get it. As well, why not encourage him to go out with you -- take up dancing or some other form of physical activity to get him up and moving?

I hope everything works out for both of you! Good luck!

Old 12-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
(female)

Heylucy HB User

Catherine: Thank you for the words of encouragement. I would be giving the same advice and it is good advice. I do - do the shopping and I am very selective about what we buy. I try to make a fresh salad with every meal (he doesn't always eat it, but I fix it). The kids and I have a two slice bread (or equivilent) per day rule on carbs.

My husband does leave the house and eats away from home alot, because he knows he can't get it here. This habit actually started years ago. He didn't want my veggie egg omlettes for breakfast, so started taking off for the Starbucks and roll.

I'll keep an eye on him, something is going on. Just tonight he came home and popped a couple of Tylenol (from the headaches). He has too many symptoms going on - for this to not be something. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
(female)

TerriD HB User

"Normal" blood glucose levels are 79-109, so your husband is within normal range.

Terri

Closed Thread