It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

jamieileana303 HB User
does what i eat today affect glucose tomorrow?

i was wondering if what i eat today can affect my fasting glucose the next morning.?
also if i eat whole grain stuff does it matter how many i eat of them? i tend to eat alot of carbs although whole grains, rarely junk food carbs. i love sandwiches but i do use whole grain breads.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: does what i eat today affect glucose tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieileana303 View Post
i was wondering if what i eat today can affect my fasting glucose the next morning.?
also if i eat whole grain stuff does it matter how many i eat of them? i tend to eat alot of carbs although whole grains, rarely junk food carbs. i love sandwiches but i do use whole grain breads.
Yes, what you eat today can affect your blood sugar the next day.

As far as grains go...a carb is a carb is a carb! Sure, whole grains are healthier in that they contain many more nutrients than refined grains, but they will still cause a rise in blood sugar. If you're fighting diabetes, and especially if you're not on insulin, you need to limit the amount of carbs you eat. Doesn't mean you can't have a sandwich, but if you're using the type of bread that's not pre-sliced, beware...you may be getting way more carbs than you think you are.

I try to stick to breads with under 20g per slice, and there are a couple on the market with only 15g per slice (I'm talking whole grain breads here). And, if you're having a sandwich, you probably shouldn't have fruit at the same meal but rather fill up on veggies, which have fewer carbs than fruit.

At other meals you may want to cut back on the bread (one slice or none) and add a piece of fruit. My feeling is that we need ALL the food groups to stay healthy, but with diabetes we must be much more careful about balancing our intake at each meal.

Ruth

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

jamieileana303 HB User

hi ruth and thanks so much for the reply! it says you've been on here since oct 2001, that is a lonnnng time!

ok...about the carbs then. i do have the pre sliced bread and it has only 18 carbs for two slices and it is whole grain and it is only 90 calories for two slices. i do not have diabetes just yet but i am heading towards that i guess with the pre-diabetes levels around 103, 108 but again now they have fallen back into the upper 90's, one day it went down to 85 and i was estatic but now again back up to 103 yesterday and 98 today. so i fluctuate alot so that is why i wondered if what i eat say before bedtime affects my level the next day. two hours after eating it is usually around 105 again sometimes higher but still in range. so thanks for the help! greatly appreciated!

so it is the carbs to watch out for then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Yes, what you eat today can affect your blood sugar the next day.

As far as grains go...a carb is a carb is a carb! Sure, whole grains are healthier in that they contain many more nutrients than refined grains, but they will still cause a rise in blood sugar. If you're fighting diabetes, and especially if you're not on insulin, you need to limit the amount of carbs you eat. Doesn't mean you can't have a sandwich, but if you're using the type of bread that's not pre-sliced, beware...you may be getting way more carbs than you think you are.

I try to stick to breads with under 20g per slice, and there are a couple on the market with only 15g per slice (I'm talking whole grain breads here). And, if you're having a sandwich, you probably shouldn't have fruit at the same meal but rather fill up on veggies, which have fewer carbs than fruit.

At other meals you may want to cut back on the bread (one slice or none) and add a piece of fruit. My feeling is that we need ALL the food groups to stay healthy, but with diabetes we must be much more careful about balancing our intake at each meal.

Ruth

Ruth

Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

tb68 HB User

Your bread numbers must be off - I think that is for ONE slice.

Your testing should be in these times

Fasting is 8 hours following last meal
Test before a meal
Test 1 hour after a meal
Test 2 hours after a meal

Those reading will give you all the insight you need to know.

If you eat a heavy carb meal, it will affect your morning blood readings.

Yes, carbs are your enemy. If you are real serious about living healthy.
Limit your daily carb intake to lower than 120. Cutting out all processed sugars, breads, flour, wheat and rice is what most diabetics do who actually recover from type II diabetes.

And stop eating ANY processed foods. That will help a great deal.

Exercise daily is vital for good insulation productivity and losing weight.

And drink a LOT of water every day. I am 220 lbs, and I consume no less than 110 oz daily.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

Citycotton HB User

Toy2.. The bread count could be correct. I eat a store brand light wheat that has 20 carbs for 2 slices with 7 fibers so that is actually 13 carbs. I also eat a high fiber bread which has 13 per 1 slice with 5 fiber for a total of 8 per slice..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Jamie,
Sorry I haven't responded before now...I must have overlooked this thread.

If your numbers at night are good and then they go higher in the morning, it could be something called "dawn phenomenon" which is the body's way of preparing itself to face the day. In most people, blood sugar rises slightly around 4-5 AM (it can vary somewhat depending on your regular schedule of awakening). For non-diabetics, it never goes above normal, but in people with diabetes or pre-diabetes, it can result in slightly (or even greatly) elevated blood sugars in the morning.

It sounds as if you're doing a good job overall of keeping your numbers down, especially if you're back to 105 or thereabouts within two hours of eating. Just keep doing what you're doing, watching the carb intake, adding exercise into your daily routine and losing some weight if you need to. That's the best way to slow the progression of T2.

Ruth

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

tb68 HB User

Ok City, I just haven't seen bread that low for two slices.

I do have a tip for you though. I don't know about you, but when I was eating bread, I always loved a good wrap (tortilla type) sandwich. When I changed my eating lifestyle, I cut breads entirely - but HAD to find a replacement for it.

I found the wraps to be my savior. Then I got good at finding very low carb ones, right down to 2 net carbs per 10 inch wrap! Those were vegetable/fiber wraps, and they tasted ok (not great, but not bad). Through time, I graduated to whole fiber wraps and their net carb per wrap is only 6 grams.

The tip is that you may want to make your sandwich with a wrap and save some carbs. Even if you do so every once in a while - in a week or month the reduction really adds up and helps you overall to keep the carbs in control.

Have a great day!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
(female)

Citycotton HB User

Toy.. If you like wraps look for the low carb wrap from tofuan(not sure of the spelling). I get it my local grocery (Publix). They are sooo good, my family actually likes them better than the regular flour wraps. They are the large wraps with 8 net carbs.. BTW they are not made of tofu like the name would suggest...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

tb68 HB User

Thank you City, I always enjoy new tips!

~ Mark

Old 01-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
(female)

Devon girl HB User

I make my own Almond bread, and it works out at 2.2 net carbs a slice. It does not raise my BG's, and I could not live without it now. It took me a while to tweak the original recipe that I found on another site. And now it is a really nice "loaf" of bread.

Can't eat normal breads as the carbs are too high and so would the BG if I did.

Last edited by Devon girl; 01-14-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

tb68 HB User

Cool, I'd love to try that bread!

Closed Thread