It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

robin 29 HB User
trying to get it under control again

i'm 47 and i use to be under great control of my type 2 diabetes. but that was when i was trying to get pregnant so i was doing it for an important reason now it is only for me and what will happen to me. i'm not as excited about the challenge i need to change my additude. my fasting is 238 and i'm on 500mg metformine aday i don't want to increase that. i'm about 40lbs over weight and i think that if i lost the weight the diabeties will go away like it did before. how do i turn the light on and get out of this darkness of what i have to give up and be disiplined. i'm so jelous of other people that can eat anything they want they don't even get it. my husband thinks he is helping by getting me low sugar or sugar free food but it is high in fat. he has never had to give up anything.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

tb68 HB User
Re: trying to get it under control again

Robin,

I haven't any glory words for you here.
I know that is not what you want to read.

No one can do it for you.
You have to WANT to change.
It has to come from within.

Think of the alcoholic who never touches
a bottle. If you need the moment of
clarity, I can assure you it won't come
from a forum. You have to come to that
place all by yourself.

Hopefully you will come to that clarity.
You are the most important person to
you - over a child, significant other, dreams, etc.

It all starts and ends with you.

Most regards in your journey,
~ Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin 29 View Post
i'm 47 and i use to be under great control of my type 2 diabetes. but that was when i was trying to get pregnant so i was doing it for an important reason now it is only for me and what will happen to me. i'm not as excited about the challenge i need to change my additude. my fasting is 238 and i'm on 500mg metformine aday i don't want to increase that. i'm about 40lbs over weight and i think that if i lost the weight the diabeties will go away like it did before. how do i turn the light on and get out of this darkness of what i have to give up and be disiplined. i'm so jelous of other people that can eat anything they want they don't even get it. my husband thinks he is helping by getting me low sugar or sugar free food but it is high in fat. he has never had to give up anything.
Robin,
It is very common for women who had gestational diabetes to then develop Type 2 later on. Being overweight doesn't help, but you may have developed it anyway.

The important thing here is to get your numbers under control by whatever means possible...that includes diet and exercise, if you're going to do it, but if not you MUST get those numbers down with more medication and possibly even insulin. Your fasting numbers are way too high, and I can only imagine how high your numbers go after eating. This is going to do a lot of damage to your body if you don't get it under control, and you don't have any time to waste.

I'll tell you what my doctor told me when I was having trouble losing weight (I am also a compulsive overeater who has only recently managed to get that under control)...my doctor said "we have to deal with what IS, not what we WISH would be. If you can't get your eating under control, then we'll just have to get you better control with an insulin pump (I was already on shots.) He put me on a pump and my numbers came down significantly. He didn't berate me, belittle me, or throw his hands up and leave me to suffer the consequences.

Now, YOU need to be as kind to YOURSELF as my doctor was to me...you deserve to live a long, healthy life, and you won't do it if you don't get this under control. So instead of bemoaning your fate, being jealous of your husband (hey, there's even a commercial about the differences between men and women re weight loss) or insisting you don't want to take more medication, start from the other end....what do you need to do to control your blood sugars? Work with your doctor and do whatever it takes. And if he/she just keeps saying "lose weight and you'll be fine...find another doctor!

Yes, losing weight will help, but Type 2 is a progressive illness, and you could lose 50 pounds and still need medication...so don't let that be an excuse.

Also, ask for a referreal to a registered dietician and start learning how to count carbs. Never mind the fat...most of that sugar free stuff has just as many carbs as the regular, and it's carbs that make your blood sugar go up.

Ruth

Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

tb68 HB User

Um, yep, wow....

Ok, really just read Ruth's message below. She rules here.

Hugs,
~ Mark

Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
(female)

robin 29 HB User

thankyou for your advice i know what you are saying i will talk to my doctor about my numbers and get them under control first that is the most important thing. then i will feel better and not worry about the damage i am doing to my self. your right the weight is the second thing. mabey it will help and mabey losing weight won't.
thanks again
robin

Old 01-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

tb68 HB User

Yeah, numbers lower, feel better - then look into lifestyle changes.

One step at a time will work. Trust me here. Many of us have walked the path you are on. You can do it. And when you arrive, you'll be so happy you did.

Hugs!
~ Mark

Closed Thread