It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

Flibbertigibbet HB User
Can a thyroid problem lead to Diabetes?

Hey, I was just curious if a thyroid problem can be the cause of Diabetes. I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem and then a couple of years later (if not only a year-can't remember) I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Can a thyroid problem lead to Diabetes?

Yes it can. It's also possible to have a thyroid problem and diabetes at the same time with no connection other than the fact that they can mess with each other and make things a little more difficult. There's a very definite tie-in between autoimmune thyroid disease and type 1 and a tie-in with untreated hyperthyroidism and secondary type 2.

What type of thyroid problem do you have and what type of diabetes? I might have more info for you if I knew what you're dealing with.

I'm new to the diabetes thing. I'm an old hand at thyroids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

Canada eh HB User

I don't want to say yes, because I know people with thyroid problems that don't have diabetes, but I would say it is common. I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition, and was put on Synthroid immediately. 2 months later I started having symptoms of diabetes (extreme thirst, blurred vision). I was diagnosed with type 2 and was put on medication for that as well. I started researching my diseases and found out alot about our auto immune systems and how things are connected. I also have GERD (acid reflux), and guess what, that's part of it too.
One thing I found out that really frustrated me was that the thyroid medication will make your blood sugar go up. But then my dietician told me that even the natural thyroid hormones your body would produce will do the same thing.
I am not a doctor, and don't want to lead you to think that is all related, but for me, it was.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
(female)

Flibbertigibbet HB User

Well, I have type one diabetes and my thyroid doesn't produce eltroxin (so, I'm on the pills). But ya, I guess it's related for some people and not for others.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

From what you're saying, I gather you most likely have hashimotos thryoiditis and type 1 diabetes. Both are autoimmune disorders and are often related so in your particular case, I'd say the answer to your original question is no. The thyroid problem did not lead to your diabetes. The fact that you are prone to autoimmune disorders led to both your diabetes and your thyroid problem. Related, yes, caused by, no.

Last edited by accessn12; 03-01-2008 at 04:14 AM.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
(female)

nymi06 HB User

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease in 2006. Soon after i started having symptoms of diabetes and my morning glucose readings were way over 126 (ex: 156, 179 190). I was diagnosed with Type 2 last summer. I take meds for both.

Someone (on another diabetes forum) said the 2 are linked, however since type 2 isnt autoimmune (or at least i don't think it is) and Hashimoto's is, i'm confused and wonder if it can turn into type1.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's theoretically possible to turn into type one but it's very, very unlikely. You're correct, type 2 is not autoimmune.

The thing with the thyroid is it can mess with the sugar metabolism. Being hypo can also lead to two of the greater risk factors for type 2, obesity and sedentary lifestyle. There's lots of diabetics out there and there's lots of people with hashis so that also makes the odds favorable for lots of people with hashis to also have diabetes. More of a coincidence than a cause and effect.

The better you keep your thyroid under control and avoid being under or overmedicated, the better your diabetes will stay under control. I'd stop worrying about the itsy, bitsy remote possibilty of it ever turning into type 1 and just live as healthy a lifestyle as you can.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
(female)

Abadoo HB User

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was very young the doctor found a goiter.I had gestational diabetes with all my pregnancies and then four yrs later was diagnosed with Type 1.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have secondary hyperthyroidism due to a genetic mutation. I have absolutely no family history or other risk factors for diabetes. However, it appears to have led directly to my type 2 diabetes because of the way it's been messing with my sugar metabolism over the years. I'm not receiving treatment for the diabetes cause the doc is hoping that by finally properly treating my thyroid disorder, the sugar will stop bouncing as bad. Mostly my sugar stays high but some weeks I become hypoglycemic for what appears to be no reason at all. It's a bear.

I've got my fingers crossed. I started meds for the thyroid two weeks ago. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

In response to Access... Type 2 diabetes CANNOT turn into type 1. It is unfortunate that these diseases both have the word diabetes in them, because they are DISTINCT diseases. Type 1 is completely autoimmune, Type 2 is not. It IS possible to stop producing insulin as a type 2, but you are an INSULIN DEPENDENT TYPE 2, not Type 1. It is also possible to become insulin resistant as a type 1, but it would be for the same exact reasons as someone who did not have type 1. A small portion of T2s are actually T1s and are considered misdiagnosed because their disease has progressed slowly rather than their pancreas quickly failing, but this is a small percentage of T2s. These people ALWAYS become insulin dependent within a few years because they are type 1, not type 2 in reality. These are the only relationships between types 1 and 2. Let's get some education out into the community about how these diseases are (or aren't, rather,) related. I think its a big misconception even within the diabetic community.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis, I agree with you totally. You bring up some very valid points. I didn't say type 2 could convert into type 1. I said it is theoretically possible for a person with type 2 to also become a type 1. It has happened. Type 1 being an autoimmune disorder makes it possible for anyone who is prone to autoimmune disorders to get it if their immune system chooses to launch an attack on their pancreas. Just because a person is type 2 doesn't mean that they are not capable of also becoming a type 1. Since type one is so rare, there's only a very slim chance that the odds would be in favor of that happening.

And you're right. There should be much more education. I was totally blindsided by this whole thing. It was the last thing in the world I expected to happen to me. Not one of my doctor's ever mentioned to me or even bothered to look at the labs to see how my hyperthyroidism was affecting my glucose metabolism and what affects that would have in the long term. Secondary diabetes needs to be added into the education package too.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
(male)

ultrarunner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibbertigibbet View Post
Hey, I was just curious if a thyroid problem can be the cause of Diabetes. I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem and then a couple of years later (if not only a year-can't remember) I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 AM   #13
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

My son was diagnosed with graves disease in sept 2007. In dec 2007 he was diagnosed with type I diabetes. Both autoimmune based diseases.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Glad l seen this.............. dxn with graves a few years ago had thyroid out a year ago ... havnt been right since(wasnt right long before that either!) things coming to a head l have a feeling of been off balance alot of other symptoms urinating alot etc feeling like lm going to pass out etc had to fast for aload of blood tests this morning when l got home l had a sandwich and started feeling weird again l even felt slightly confused in my thinking and drained of energy my thyroid labs were in range although l have had them done again a few hours later l ate some jelly beans and felt better!!! Just had my evening meal and feel totally off again does this sound suspicious of diabetes maybe? Do you think its worth me buying one of them glucose testing meters to check at home? Thanks all x pls excuse my many typos honest l can spell

Last edited by niecsey; 07-04-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi niecsey,

Long time, no see! It wouldn't hurt to check it out. I would never have found it if a friend of mine who's a nurse practitioner hadn't suggested I go and buy one. Took the results to my gp and now have a diagnosis and an explanation for why I kept feeling crappy. He even gave me a brand new meter and a script for the strips so they don't cost me hardly anything at all.

Closed Thread