It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
(male)

ta2d HB User
Should I be screened for Diabetes?

For many years I’ve been very fitness and health oriented. I do cardio (7) days per week and I follow a healthy diet that consists of high protein, moderate “good” fats and healthy carbs (low GI) only. I get my protein from lean meat, egg whites and whey. My healthy fats come in the form of mainly Omega 3’s such as Flax Seed, Flax Oil, Olive Oil and Fish Oil. I keep my carbs limited to the low GI variety such as greenbeans, broccoli, lettuce, brussle sprouts, brown rice and oatmeal.

My symptoms started back in early October 07’. I began waking up on a very regular basis drenched in sweat with wet sheets. I just ignored it and figured that since I exercised a lot that it was just a result of increased metabolism, etc.,. Around this same period my wife noticed that I would get up an average of 2 – 3 times per night to urinate. Also, I’d like to ad that when I would get up to go to the bathroom my mouth and lips were extremely dry and I’d be very thirsty. I’ll be the first to admit that I drink a ton of water due to the fact that I’m constantly thirsty, plus it’s good for you ( I again chocked this up to being fitness related – increased metabolism, etc.,.). Anyway, I decided that I would quit drinking as much water and not drink “any” after 5 PM. This did not help. I still continued to get up at least twice per night to use the bathroom. Additionally, after I got done going to the bathroom my thirst was much worse. Again, I figured that this was because I quit drinking any water after 5 PM. This went on through the month of November into Thanksgiving. I mentioned that I follow a good and healthy diet. Well, in addition to the healthy lifestyle that I try to follow I do allow one meal per week (Saturday) where I can eat whatever I want for a single meal. Admittedly the meal usually includes some high GI carbs and some type of desert afterwards. Around this period I began to notice that after I would eat this “cheat meal” I would feel out of sorts so, to speak. My heart would beat really hard, I’d get cold sweats and my breathing was weird. I mentioned this to my wife but I just figured it was because my body wasn’t used to “junk” and it was having trouble processing it. Thanksgiving came and since the holiday was here I figured I’d splurge and eat some junk (something that I don’t usually do). I had a ton of carbs in the form of potatoes, stuffing, bread and for desert I had a piece of cheesecake. Not long after my meal I began to feel weird. My heart was beating hard and fast, I was sweating profusely, I was somewhat dizzy, lightheaded and I just felt out of sorts. My mom noticed and asked if I was alright. I told her what my issues were and she wondered if I should be screened for Diabetes since both sets of my grandparents had it and my symptoms sounded very much in line with Diabetes. After I got home I looked Diabetes symptoms up and saw that many of my symptoms were very much in line with what I was experiencing. However, after reading further most of the articles stated that if you were under 45, fit, active and not overweight that it was very unlikely that you could have diabetes. That said, I kind of ruled that out and never sought medical attention.

Fast forward to February 07’ – none of my symptoms have changed and I’m still having them. Symptoms over the past 5 months include the following:

• Night Sweats (sometimes excessive and drenching the sheets)
  • Excessive Thirst (both day and night)
  • Dry Mouth and Lips
  • Frequent Urination (during the day I have to go every 30 - 45 minutes. During the night I get up at least 2 - 3 times)
  • Extremely high heart rate, dizzy, lightheaded and sweating after eating high GI carbohydrates.

I also have been diagnosed Seropositive Rheumatoid Arthritis. I know that Diabetes is autoimmune like RA and that AI diseases sometimes run together. Any ideas on where I should be screened or not?

Last edited by ta2d; 02-11-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Re: Should I be screened for Diabetes?

My advise, get to the doctor ASAP! Your symptoms certainly sound very much like diabetes. I too am not in the "norm" for diabetes criteria, as I am literally 100 pounds and 34 years old and have been little my whole life, yet I have type 2. Mine is hereditary, possibly like yours (if you have it). It won't hurt you to get checked out. Tell your doctor your symptoms and if you don't have it, great, but if you do, the longer you wait, the more damage you are doing to your body. And if it's something else, that should be checked out too. None the less, what you are experiencing is NOT normal. Your body is trying to tell you something. Keep us posted and good luck! There are a lot of wise, diabetic "experts" here who have been dealing with this a long time, so keep this site bookmarked should you ever need advise or help.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
(male)

subbster HB User

Yes, overwhelming signs to get tested for diabetes. It's a simple diagnosis your GP can make, just get it done immediately. Do you realise that in more recent years both type 1 and type 2 diabetes have been seen in atypical age brackets? Those article "facts" are just guidelines of typical scenarios. Neither type of diabetes can be ruled out in your case until you get tested.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
(male)

ta2d HB User

Thanks for replying guys. Those were my thoughts exactly. It may be nothing, but it should definately be looked into. I honestly just hate going to the doc and asking about things like this because I don't want to seem like a worry wart. Add the fact that with my healthy lifestyle, fitness and such I just don't fit the profile and I'm afraid that he might just laugh it off.

Last night I didn't consume any high GI carbs and stuck to lean protein and fibrous green veggie's for my meals. I didn't have any weird after effect symptoms like if I would eat sweets or something high GI. I cut my water intake off at 4 PM yesterday and still had to go to urinate every 30 - 45 minutes all evening long. Additionally, I had to get out of bed (3) times last night to use the bathroom. I didn't let myself get any water while I was up even though I really wanted to (very thirsty). I also didn't drink anything when I got up this morning before going down to ride the exercise bike. I did a light 45 minute session on the bike (I do this every morning to loosen the knees stiffness up from my RA) and I had to stop once in the middle of my cardio session to go to the bathroom because I was about to burst. With no water intake from 4PM the following night on through 6AM this morning (a total of 14 hours) I don't think I should be going to the bathroom that often and so much each time. One of my thoughts is that maybe it could be a prostate issue. However, it is my understanding that if it was a prostate issue while you would have a increased frequency of urination, it generally is low in volume each time with not much force. This does not fit my situation because with my increased frequency, I go a lot each time.

I called my doc and he's getting me in early this afternoon. Hopefully he'll have some ideas. Thanks again for your input..................Ta2d

Last edited by ta2d; 02-12-2008 at 06:34 AM.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Good, glad to hear that! Tht much urination is not normal, but don't cut your body off of the much needed water, especially when you are so thirsty. Then you may be looking at dehydration on top of everything else. Let us know how it goes. Best of luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
(male)

ta2d HB User

I went to my GP. He did a standard finger stick test. I hadn't eaten in 2 hours and the reading was only 94. He said at a reading of 94 he was not concerned even though I'm making reports of weird symptoms after eating sugars and such. As far as my increased frequency of urination he is attributing that to side effects from my RA meds (this is a possibility). He pulled up a list of possible side effects of the RA meds that I am taking and increased urination, thirst, etc., were on the list of sides of (2) of the meds. He told me to keep an eye on things and to come back if things got worse or didn't improve over time. Additionally, he said that since I'm having specific issues after eating an occasional cheat meal high in sugars that I should avoid that and stick to the low GI diet. He had a copy of my bloodwork that I had just gotten done a few weeks ago through my Rheumatologist. He went over those results and said that everything looked good as far as kidneys, liver enzymes, bloodcount, etc., so he didn't see any need to be alarmed by my complaints.

I guess for now I'll just wait and see.

Ta2d

Last edited by ta2d; 02-12-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

That's good to hear. Perhaps you should consider getting a home monitor. They are very inexpensive and easy to use. And when you get to feeling these symptoms, you can check your sugar. Otherwise, keep an eye out...thirst I can see with the medication, but the severe increase in urination??? That's an odd one. I'm glad you went!!! Keep us posted.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
(male)

subbster HB User

The thirst, if caused by blood sugars, would be caused by periods of high blood sugars. An isolated fingerstick won't show if you are going high on some sort of regular basis - what you need is an A1c test. Is that included in the blood tests? If not, I really recommend you get one, then you will KNOW if your blood sugar has been erratic. If nothing else you can rule it out then and start looking at your meds or other causes rather than the "wait and see" approach.

Why not know for sure, with an easy blood test, rather than go on your doctor's rather inactive approach that it may be something else, or that it may just "clear up"? Well, it is of course up to you . But in effect be aware that without the A1c you haven't been at all screened for blood sugar problems. Good luck with it all.

Last edited by subbster; 02-13-2008 at 04:30 AM.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I agree...I think his doctor took the easy way out. Diabetics (T2's) can easily acheive a 94 2 hrs after eating. I know I can....so yes, an A1C is your best bet....if he refuses to give you one, and I can't imagine why he would, or if you don't want to go back, get a home monitor and test AT LEAST 4 times a day and report your numbers to him or us or whoever. Also, I recommend a fasting as well as your tests to be 2hrs after the START of a meal.
Hope you feel better soon. Please keep us posted. Urinating THAT much after not having drank anything for so many hours is just not normal and neither is your thirst. Many meds can cause dry mouth, yes, but I am skeptical about severe thirst.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
(male)

ta2d HB User

Thanks for the replies and concerns. Unfortunately, my urinary problems are no better. I actually went back to the doc today and asked him to screen me for bladder, kidney & urinary tract infections. He ran the screenings and they all came back negative. He now seems concerned though. Liquids are passing right through me and I'm going to the bathroom every 30 minutes at least. Also, I'm having a bit of incontinence (leaking) if I bend over or pick up something heavy (even if I've just used the bathroom). It's to the point that I've cut my normal fluid intake in half and I'm afraid to drink anything anywhere close to a time that I have to leave the house. My doc still swears that it can't be Diabetes. He is concerned with my frequent urination and leaking though and has referred me to a Urologist. Unfortunately, the urologist can't get me in for two weeks. I guess until then, I just live with it. On the upside, aside from being really thirsty all the time, I haven't had any more weird blood sugar issues like I described in my previous posts. I've got it pretty much narrowed down to the fact that the Urologist is going to jump right to screening for possible prostate issues and work on from that point.

I just had my routine bloodwork drawn today from my Rheumatologist that I'm required to have every (8) weeks. It includes a complete metabolic profile, CRP & CBC. I plan to call them next week when they should have the results and ask them if my bloodwork shows any kidney issues.

Last edited by ta2d; 02-14-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I could be way off base here, but I think if it was a kidney problem, you would be passing LESS urine...it sounds like your kidneys are working fine. Bladder problem??? I just don't know. The thirst has me boggled Please let us know how it goes at the urologist.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
(male)

ta2d HB User

I have another question for you experts! When I had my blood sugar checked at the doc a few days ago I mentioned that I had just eaten 2 hours prior and I came up with a reading of 94. I did neglect to mention something to both you guys and the doc. The meal that I had eaten 2 hours prior was merely 6 egg whites, 1 whole egg and 1 tbsp Flax Oil. There was NO carbs in this meal. Now I realize that "any" food will trigger an insulin response but would it be normal for a meal consumed (2) hours prior, not containing carbs to register at 94 or should it be lower.

I also forgot to mention in my previous posts that after consuming high GI carbs I get really tired for a few hours afterwards and usually fall asleep. Would this be normal for a person who's diet is mainly low GI all but a single meal per week?

Last edited by ta2d; 02-14-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #13
(male)

subbster HB User

Sorry to hear of your woes. Good luck sorting it out.

To try and give you some answers:
Such a meal would have very little on your blood sugar either way. It is primarily about carbs. It's carbs that require insulin and carbs that send a message to the body to release insulin.

94 is a completely normal result. But our point is that it is a fruitless task to try and get any meaningful conclusion from one, normal flingerstick. If you were a clear cut case of type 1 - yes, one would expect you to be in the high range in that scenario. Then again, if you are spurting insulin and hadn't eaten cards for a few hours, maybe it could get back down to normal briefly. If other blood sugar problems or type 2 - it may have been passing through normal, just down from being quite high. Who knows? Nobody - not you, not us, and not your doctor - it's simply not enough data to go on.

Thats why you need that A1c. Your doctor swearing his honor on his diagnosis of no Blood sugar problems, is very very pale replacement for doing the appropriate, run of the mill test that will tell you without question if you need to follow blood sugars any further, or forget them henceforth.

Really - he should just do it if you ask. Or go to another one just to request the test. It's basic practise.

Getting tired after hi GI carbs suggests, again, you may have blood sugar problems. This is one of the first symptoms of esculating blood sugars - tiredness, grogginess. Again I urge you to just get an A1c, although I'm running out of words to do so now Good luck.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I agree...that is what I meant when I said 94 would not be hard to acheive, especially you, who eats a low GI diet. I can eat NO carbs and I can be in the 80's and 90's 2 hrs after a meal too. So, PLEASE have your doc do an A1C test. If he won't....FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR WHO WILL!!! Even if it's a walk in clinic.

Closed Thread