It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
(female)

azmomof3 HB User
Knee and hand pain in a type 2 diabetic

Hello all,
I am new here and was hoping someone might have some info to a question I have. I am a type 2 diabetic for 2 years now and have been having hand pain and stiffness for a few months now. It is especially bad at night and early morning. Also I have been having pain in my knees it is often very painful to get up or down. This also is usually at night but not always. I am on metformin once daily and as far as I know my sugars have been good. A1C's are in a good range according to Dr. Could these pains be from diabetes? Have already discussed this with Dr. and am currently taking pain meds but they do not help. Will go back to Dr. in 2 weeks what things should ask about having him check? The pain is making me crazy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
azmom0f3

Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Knee and hand pain in a type 2 diabetic

This could be several things. First off, it could be neuropathy. If it is, seeing a neurologist to determine the amount of damage wouldn't be a bad idea.

Here's the other (and equally possible) option. It could be mechanical in nature. I also have problems with pain, numbness and stiffness in my hands. It turns out that it's a combination of mild carpal tunnel as well as some compression (due to scar tissue from other stuff) of the ulner nerve in my elbow. I'll be going to an accupuncturist to help me with this and if it gets worse I'll need a small surgery. It's not diabetes related. I also have pains just below my knee and I know that it is a problem in my back (old injury). Talk to your doc about this too.

Best of luck. BTW, what exactly is your a1c? Standards differ between doctors. It should be significantly less than 7% if you want to avoid complications.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
(female)

azmomof3 HB User

Thanks for the info Cora. My A1C last check was 5.6 or something close to that. I have thought about the neouraphathy for my knee pain and yes part of the pain and stiffness in my hands is due to carpal tunnel which I am in the process of having surgery for. I already had the emg and nerve conduction testing for that. I did have surgery on the left hand and feeling somewhat better on that hand. It is still a little stiff and I can't open much of anything with it yet and wonder if I ever will be able to again. The strength just isn't there. The right will be done in one month.
I am just at my wits end with the pain. I am a single parent who must work and I can say that most days are pure agony.
My next step I think will be to see and endo. I haven't been yet as my insurance requires a referral from pcp.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
(female)

megepps HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomof3 View Post
Thanks for the info Cora. My A1C last check was 5.6 or something close to that. I have thought about the neouraphathy for my knee pain and yes part of the pain and stiffness in my hands is due to carpal tunnel which I am in the process of having surgery for. I already had the emg and nerve conduction testing for that. I did have surgery on the left hand and feeling somewhat better on that hand. It is still a little stiff and I can't open much of anything with it yet and wonder if I ever will be able to again. The strength just isn't there. The right will be done in one month.
I am just at my wits end with the pain. I am a single parent who must work and I can say that most days are pure agony.
My next step I think will be to see and endo. I haven't been yet as my insurance requires a referral from pcp.
I was diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome. Had all the tests done and it was proven to be severe. (I couldn't hold a bag of potatoes.) The day before I had surgery I enquired as to what CTS actually was and the best most successful treatment for it does not require surgery at all. I saw someone who restores your muscles, tendon and ligaments in your hand, arms, shoulders and back. I have been CTS free for a good 3 years now and am glad I never went through with unneccessary surgery. Give it a go!

Last edited by megepps; 02-27-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: I am type 2 diabetic also

Closed Thread