It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User
Does my hubby have diabetes? Please help!

For the past few months my hubby has not been himself. He is tired all the time, and since mid December has been constantly thirsty. He can't get enough to drink. Several trips throughout the day to the bathroom, (but wouldn't that be from all the liquids he drinks?) His vision goes blurry, he gets very shakey, and sometimes he says he feels like he is going to pass out. No energy. While shopping last night I picked up a blood glucose test meter. We waited until this morning to do the test. He didn't have anything to eat or drink for 9 hours so we could get the proper results. The meter came up with "510". The test said if it is below 20 or higher then 600 a warning would appear letting him know it was too low or too high. We don't know what a normal level should be. The test doesn't really tell us. We did the test again about an hour after he ate lunch and it was "471". I did the test also to see what would happen and mine said
"80" in the morning and "105" after lunch. He is 54 years old and NEVER been to a family Dr. because of not having any health insurance.Today I called all over to find a Dr. that will accept new patients without insurance. After 3 hrs. I found one who made an appt. but not until March 25.I even explained how worried I am about him. No one seemed to care. If he would of had insurance, they would have glady seen him. Can someone please tell us what a normal reading should be and your opinions on his symptoms? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Re: Does my hubby have diabetes? Please help!

I don't mean to scare you. But I would STRONGLY suggest you take your husband to a hospital emmergency room IMMEDIATELY. A lot of his other blood chemistries could also be out of whack and life threatening. It is possible that he may just get sent home with a prescription for glyburide, but please, you are better safe than sorry.

These numbers are life threatening from what I understand. Please do not wait for the dr's appt. Go to the hospital. His numbers are extremely high.

Anything above 126 is abnormal and these are life threatening values, again, from what I understand.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilia01 View Post
For the past few months my hubby has not been himself. He is tired all the time, and since mid December has been constantly thirsty. He can't get enough to drink. Several trips throughout the day to the bathroom, (but wouldn't that be from all the liquids he drinks?) His vision goes blurry, he gets very shakey, and sometimes he says he feels like he is going to pass out. No energy. While shopping last night I picked up a blood glucose test meter. We waited until this morning to do the test. He didn't have anything to eat or drink for 9 hours so we could get the proper results. The meter came up with "510". The test said if it is below 20 or higher then 600 a warning would appear letting him know it was too low or too high. We don't know what a normal level should be. The test doesn't really tell us. We did the test again about an hour after he ate lunch and it was "471". I did the test also to see what would happen and mine said
"80" in the morning and "105" after lunch. He is 54 years old and NEVER been to a family Dr. because of not having any health insurance.Today I called all over to find a Dr. that will accept new patients without insurance. After 3 hrs. I found one who made an appt. but not until March 25.I even explained how worried I am about him. No one seemed to care. If he would of had insurance, they would have glady seen him. Can someone please tell us what a normal reading should be and your opinions on his symptoms? Thank you!
Normal is more in the range you saw on yourself, a bit higher would also be normal. In terms of symptoms, frequent urination is a symptom. I am not a Dr but my understanding is that where your blood sugar is too high, your kidneys try to dump some of the sugar out through urine. So you pee a lot. This dehydrates you and you are thirsty.

I don't know if you measured properly but if so, 510 and 471 would be very high. Can you continue looking for another doctor sooner ? Is there not another medical service you can get help with ?

Last edited by itotito; 03-06-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I agree with Uma...your husband should go to the nearest emergency room. With blood sugars running that high, he could be in diabetic ketoacidosis, which can be a life-threatening condition. While there, ask if he would qualify for uncompensated care (most hospitals have a fund to help take care of people who don't have health insurance and are in financial straits but still need urgent medical care.)

A non-diabetic's blood sugars would never go that high, even after eating a high-carb meal. Normal range is between 70 and 140, never higher. Your husband is definitely diabetic...question is, whether it's type 1 or type 2, and the only way to tell is through some blood tests.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 03-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Yes, that would indicate diabetes, probably type 2, given his age,meaning he has resistance to his own insulin. He needs to see a doctor or go to the hospital asap to get his blood glucose in control. Normal blood glucose is between 70 and 120, so 520 is very high. Meters read "HI" when over 600, but that warning is just indicating extremely severe highs. Good luck, and do not let this slide so as to prevent any complications.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User

Finally talked hubby into going to the ER instead of waiting for Dr. appt. He does have type 2 diabetes. He didn't have any ketones which they said was a good thing. His glucose level while we were there was 296. They gave him a prescription for Metaformin. They set him up with a follow-up Dr. for this Thursday. I just want to thank e'one for telling me he should go to the ER. I was really scared for him. He's been on the med. for 2 days but his numbers are still in the 200's. Anyone have any idea how long this med. takes to start working? Thank you all again!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Finally talked hubby into going to the ER instead of waiting for Dr. appt. He does have type 2 diabetes. He didn't have any ketones which they said was a good thing. His glucose level while we were there was 296. They gave him a prescription for Metaformin. They set him up with a follow-up Dr. for this Thursday. I just want to thank e'one for telling me he should go to the ER. I was really scared for him. He's been on the med. for 2 days but his numbers are still in the 200's. Anyone have any idea how long this med. takes to start working? Thank you all again!
Everyone is different but met can take weeks to kick in full effect. If I remember well they said as much as 4 to 6 weeks. When I started it wasn't doing anything and I read it COULD take several weeks. It will slowly start to make a difference. Was it his morning levels that were so bad or after eating ?

In the mean time, go easy on the carbs and drink lots of water.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User

Not really sure if he is overweight, but probably is.. He is 6'1" and weighs 255 pounds He's gained 25 pounds since Sept'07. Thats when he quit smoking (cold turkey) and took up eating candy..tons of it! Around Nov./Dec. is when he started feeling really bad. .(But since not feeling well he's been losing weight)The ER didn't give us a diet plan or anything to follow before his Dr. appt. on Thursday, so I had to go online and look it up.
I know the med. is making him even more sicker to his stomach, cramps, and diarrhea. I guess thats a normal side effect from what I have read about it and just to stick with it because you will feel worse before you get better??? His reading this morning before breakfast was 189, the lowest it's been since we started monitoring it a few days ago.
Exercise..yes, my hubby wants the both of us to start going for walks. We will ask the Dr. about it first. He's a bricklayer and can't wait for spring to settle in so he can return to work. But mostly, all he keeps saying is.. "I hope I get better". He's very worried about not having insurance and not being able to work if he doesn't get feeling better. Hopefully things will work out somehow.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
... He does have type 2 diabetes. He didn't have any ketones which they said was a good thing. His glucose level while we were there was 296. .... Anyone have any idea how long this med. takes to start working? ....
If he is in fact Type2, the metformin will start having an effect after about 3 weeks. But if he is Type1, metformin won't do him any good and he will steadily get worse. The fact that the onset has been so quick, blood sugars of 500+ have been recorded, and he has lost weight suggest that it could be Type1. So watch it carefully.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User

He was diagnosed with type 2.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Sheila,
From what I have heard and read, the side effects from metformin do go away after a while, but if they become intolerable, the best way to manage is to start from the beginning, with a very small dose, and then increase it gradually over a period of several weeks. Don't know how much he's taking, so can't tell if he's on a large dose already or not. This is something you can work out with his doctor.

Ruth

Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User

Thank you Ruth. He is on 500mg, 3 times a day.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
He was diagnosed with type 2.
There are people who's pancreas produces no insulin. They are type 1.
There are people who produce insulin but their body doesn't use it well. They are type 2.

And there are people in between who don't produce quite enough or who's body barely make due with what they produce. There are people borderline between the two.

The progression of one to another sometimes occurs with age

Doctors will try and use metformin and if your husband doesn't get good control, they will try other medications and may eventually prescribe the use of insulin. Metformin is usually the first attempt. If it doesn't work, there are several other weapons in the arsenal.

I guess theoretically the minute you use insulin you are type 1.
NIDDM is "non insulin dependant diabetes mellitus" (type2) . IDDM is "insulin depenant diabetes mellitus" (type 1).

I doesn't really matter if he is type 1 or 2. The important thing is for him to get control, and if to do so, means insulin injections, so be it. They are not the end of the world, just think of them as a different form of medication. But for now, listen to the Dr.

Metformin does a couple of things. I allows the insulin your husband has (assuming he is producing some ) more efficiently. It also reduces the amount of sugar his liver produces. If he is responding to metformin, the chances are he does have some insulin production left. If it's enough is to be determined. But remember, if not, insulin injections are not the end of the world.

I hope this info helps. If it's just annoying, let me know

Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itotito View Post
There are people who's pancreas produces no insulin. They are type 1. There are people who produce insulin but their body doesn't use it well. They are type 2.

And there are people in between who don't produce quite enough or who's body barely make due with what they produce. There are people borderline between the two.

The progression of one to another sometimes occurs with age ... I guess theoretically the minute you use insulin you are type 1. ...
I feel the need to correct a misconception here . Type1 Diabetes and Type2 Diabetes are clinically completely different diseases and need to be treated in different ways. Type1 is an autoimmune disorder, whereas Type2 is the result of insulin resistance. While you can't progress from the one to the other, it is possible to have both Type1 and Type2 at the same time.

The problem is that it can be difficult to tell the difference between them in the early stages, and Type 1 is often mis-diagnosed as Type 2. If the diagnosis was not based on insulin level and antibody test results, it could be wrong. As I mentioned in the previous post, normal weight, weight loss and very high blood glucose readings suggest that this could be the case. The fact there were no ketones could just mean that the pancreas is still producing enough insulin to stop this from happening. But things change fast in the onset of T1. And treating Type1 with type2 oral medications accelerates onset of the disease. Most importantly, these medications won't stop the development of ketoacidosis, which is dangerous condition. This is why it needs to be watched carefully at this stage.

Last edited by Mark1e; 03-12-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Couldn't have said it better myself, Mark!

Also, even if T2 progresses to the point where one is insulin-dependent (as I am), it is STILL T2, not T1. It's just T2 with a completely worn-out pancreas.

Ruth

Closed Thread