It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

noname12345 HB User
possible Diabetes

I've been dealing with weight gain and PCOS for years now and my doctor finally ordered a 3-hour glucose tolerance test. My results are in and my insulin and glucose levels were way out of whack - I don't know the numbers though. My doctor is referring me to an endocrinologist and said that she will go over the numbers with me. He mentioned the scary D-word (Diabetes) and that's all I have in my brain right now. Can Diabetes be diagnosed by just the one test? Is there something else that needs to be done to test for it? I'm very nervous and scared.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Re: possible Diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname12345 View Post
I've been dealing with weight gain and PCOS for years now and my doctor finally ordered a 3-hour glucose tolerance test. My results are in and my insulin and glucose levels were way out of whack - I don't know the numbers though. My doctor is referring me to an endocrinologist and said that she will go over the numbers with me. He mentioned the scary D-word (Diabetes) and that's all I have in my brain right now. Can Diabetes be diagnosed by just the one test? Is there something else that needs to be done to test for it? I'm very nervous and scared.
First...if you do have diabetes, it isn't the end of the world. Especially since it sounds like it's Type 2, which is controllable by YOU! A GTT would not measure insulin levels, just blood sugar. If he measured your insulin levels, he must have done other tests. Your endocriologist will most likely put you on a strict diet and an exercise plan (and my favorite to mention, that everyone SHOULD have their doctor do, is send you to a dietician that specializes in diabetes...they can teach you SO much!) I don't know what your numbers are but depending on them he may put you on oral medication and with diet and exercise, it's possible to maybe get off them. To answer your question, yes, diabtetes is diagnosed through that one glucose tol. test. There are a lot of us fellow diabetics on here and a great deal of people who have a lot of wisdom and expertise! It's been a great support for me...so keep this site book marked! It's great. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
(female)

noname12345 HB User

I found out the #'s:
Fasting – 124
1 hour – 236
2 hour – 197
3 hour – 179

My doctor is trying to find me another endocrinologist to see. The one affiliated with the hospital my doctors work through has a 3 month wait! If my numbers are as bad as they are, I don't want to wait 3 months to plan a course of action.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I really am sorry to tell you this, but your numbers are too high. Just remember though, that YOU can control this. If no one can see you for 3 months, have your doctor at the very least send you to a dietician that specializes in diabetes. Do they have a Joslin clinic near you? Their dieticians are fabulous! Try to just accept it, change your diet and lifestyle and incorporate some kind of excersise into your daily routine, even if it's just a 20 min walk everyday. See someone asap though. You need to get this under control. Please keep us posted!

Closed Thread