It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Question Does Type 2 diabeties and Metformin= extreme weakenss and tirdness...

Hi husband had been on metformin (4 tablets per day ) for a few weeks now ..before this he`d been on 2 tablets per day and they didn`t seem to do the trick so our family doctor upped his doasage .Now the big problem is he is extremely tired and weak now compared to his usual energy level .IS there anything that can help this? ANd has anyone else experinced this with their metformin? This is a very big deal for him ..he's a big man (6'3 and very muscular) and not used to feeeling weak ,plus his numbers are still not as low as they should be when he checks his blood.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
(female)

OHIOGrandma HB User
Re: Does Type 2 diabeties and Metformin= extreme weakenss and tirdness...

Good afternoon,

I have been on Metformin since July 2007. I take a 500MG tablet twice a day. I have found it to make me very tired and low energy. I did a search and found that the Metformin can indeed cause low energy. Ar least I knew then that I was not simply "getting lazy"!!! My goal is to get off the Metformin soon. I think exercise (walking) is a big help.

Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
(male)

MarylandMan HB User

I too have been on Metformin since July 07 (500 mg AM, 1000 mg PM) but did not notice any lethargy up until a few months ago. After reading an article which showed a correlation between Metabolic Syndrome (my diagnosis) and low testosterone, I had my doctor check my hormones. My testosterone was indeed low. Now I am on a testosterone replacement gel (Androgel) and haven't felt this good in 20 years (I'm 45). And my fasting blood sugar has dropped from 100-105 to 88-92. Don't know if your husband has had his hormones checked but I sure wish I had checked sooner.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

slickvic50 HB User

Hello, I'm a newbie.
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in October 2007. I'm now on two medications:
Gliclazide - 80 mg per day
Metformin - 1000 mg per day - 500 mg a.m. and p.m.

Recently I've noticed that my legs and left arm are weaker than before. I thought it was from lack of exercise but from reading here I can now blame it on the meds...hopefully. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what suggestions pop up, if any.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
(female)

luvsdoxies HB User

i'm on metformin twice a day....haven't noticed any tiredness/weakness but this is the second time i've tried this med. the initial try left me w/reactions and i was taken off of it...i noticed that i instantly had joint pain in my elbows and wrists first...i had to roll over on my tummy and slide myself off the bed, i couldn't handle the weight on my arms! then i was sitting at computer later that day nad noticed i had immense pain in my ankles and knees and only when i tried to stand and could barely, did i realize that my hips were suddenly affected. i could barely move much less walk w/o in pain and near tears.

my dr. switched my meds to actos and found they didn't work as well and was leaning toward injections when i said....reactions or not...i want to try the metformin once again....this time...i've not had any reactions though one day i was particularly achy in the joints...i've been fine on it!? some weird coincidence, an allergic reaction....i'm not sure but i would try anything again before injections!!

have you tried getting vitamins, minerals, watching your intake of certain things like caffeine, etc that may affect their usefulness? i'd talk w/my doc immediately....maybe actos may work for you? good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

I'm not sure if Metformin can cause weakness I have felt weak for so long. I have been on Metformin for over 10 years and take 4-500mls a day-2 in the am and 2 at night. I think complictions like lactic acidosis can arise if a person drinks to much alchohol, they get dehydrated, exercise too hard,kydney disorders etc. Like I said not sure if the weakness is due to Met I ache all over too-so maybe. I take lipitor and I know that can deplete muscular strength. I find even with 2 Metf at night my BS is still abouve 6.0 every morning, I thought taking it later would help. I read that sometimes your body can increase insulin at night but I forget why-so if your insulin level raise and your body doesn't usr it properly is most likely the reason for the elevation. It's strange because when I test my fasting BS it is high however when I have fasting blood tests done my Bs is fine? Just another mystery but if he doesn't feel well he should definately mention it to the DR.

Last edited by ebrena; 04-17-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spell /missed words

Old 04-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I know that Met can cause "Lactic Acidosis," in which one of the sypmotms is muscle weakness and lethargy. It happens mostly in those with impaired kidney function. HAve any of you had your kidneys checked lately? That may be a good start and mention the lactic acidosis to your doctor just to be on the safe side. Weakness/lethargy do not seem to be a common side effect of met. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Another thought is the biggest oversight of the current medical approach to diabetes is its failure to recognize that diabetes is a nutritional wasting disease. The elevated blood sugar level acts as an osmotic diuretic by overwhelming the kidneysí ability to reabsorb glucose and other water-soluble nutrients.

This is why diabetics experience increased urination. Consequently, diabetes causes massive losses of nutrients such as vitamins B-l, B-6 and B-12, and the minerals magnesium, zinc and chromium.

Incredibly, because modern endocrinologists donít even see this most basic component of diabetes, no efforts are made to replace the large amounts of nutrients that are constantly being drained out of diabetics. This loss of
nutrients obviously contributes to, and could be the primary reason for, the deterioration of the eyes, kidneys, peripheral nerves, and vessels of diabetics.

just a thought

Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
(female)

Clerklady HB User

My husband was on metiformin 1000mgs morning and night and his BS was still very high.
He switched Dr's and they were wondering why he was still alive, no energy and weakness also very sick feeling all the time. They dropped his metiformin down to 500 mgs a day and added avandia(sp) 4mgs in the morning and he is much better feels good
and his BS is down and very managable. But they did a sonagram and it showed spots on his thyroid glands, he is going for a CAT scan, and relation between tyroid and diab that anyone nows of??? Denise

Old 04-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
(female)

madison55 HB User

I am type II and on Metformin for about 18 months. When I first started the metformin and my high blood sugar reading came down, I felt better than I had in months. Lots more energy as I had beed tired all the time due to the unknown high blood sugars. Now however, I am exhausted all the time again and my blood sugars are under good control. I need to exercise more, but I am so tired all the time, that I do not feel like it. I am now wondering if it IS the metformin that is making me so tired and sleepy all the time. I also understand that metformin depletes vitamin B12 so I am staring B12 tablets tomorrow to see if they help.
Madison

Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
(female)

Carol18 HB User

I took it for about 18 months. It was the sickest I had ever been in my life...The best way to describe it was like having the flu for that entire time period; having constant upset/sick stomach, vomiting and well staying on the comode all the time it seemed. Just the smell of food made me want to hurl.
My hair even thinned out significantly and I had to cut my once long, beautiful mane to cover the thinner spots.
Then it got to the point that I couldn't hold the pill down 20 minutes without throwing it back up. I have tried about all the pills and insluins. I am now in resistance even wearing a pump and taking three different insulins/multiple shots daily.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #12
(female)

pauline184 HB User

hi my mum is on metformin she takes 5 x 500mg tablets in one day i have noticed she is really tired and looks washed out.she also has been taking the tablets one at a time so is staying up of a night to fit her tablets in can she take them morning and night two at a time ?

Closed Thread