It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

LilliTN HB User
fasting test - ate mint - how will it affect?

I just had a full blood panel including fasting glucose test. Came back as 101 and indicates prediabetic. I was very good at fasting and only drank water for an appropriate 12 hours prior. While waiting in the waiting room I forgot and popped an Altoids mint. It took about 30 minutes before they ever got to the blood test and I told the nurse what I done and asked if it would affect and she said no. Is it possible it threw me over on the numbers?

I don't eat junk and was consciously making an effort to eat veggies/fish/etc. in what I do eat. ...but I don't eat or drink "enough" either. Not overweight (95 pounds). Everything else on test came back good other than cholesterol (which is also disturbing because the total was high but the HDL good levels were stupid high so that didn't make sense).

Yes - have an appt. with another doc but until then am really upset and can't find anyone who did something like this (ate a sugary mint).

Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
(female)

LilliTN HB User
Re: fasting test - ate mint - how will it affect?

Anyone? I need to know if I should repeat this test or assume it was correct and change my world?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

It is hard to say. An Altoids mint is about 2 g carb. You ate it about 30 min before the blood draw. The increase in blood sugar is greatest about 1 hr after eating, so the peak effect would not be realized. In addition, the mint is slow to dissolve, so the effect would be over a longer time (I'm not sure how long it takes for one to dissolve). If the effect was immediate at 1 hr, I would guess that it would raise your blood sugar about 6-10 points, but it was only 1/2 hour, so I would guess probably 3-5. So instead of 101, it would have been 97. This doesn't seem to be anything to be concerned about.

Last edited by Laura789; 04-10-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

The mint may have had a small effect. But a second fasting test is usually done to confirm a diabetes diagnosis in any case. Have the second test done before you decide on what it means. Either way, you need to see this as a wake-up call. See it as an opportunity to adopt a healthier lifestyle .

Old 04-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

LilliTN HB User

What's so scary is that I'm not sure I could have a much healthier overall lifestyle other than cutting stress. I weigh less than 100 pounds so I can't lose weight. I take vitamins and pretty healthy diet. Not a big sugar lover either. I'm just hoping the retest will blame the sugary mint.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilliTN View Post
What's so scary is that I'm not sure I could have a much healthier overall lifestyle other than cutting stress. I weigh less than 100 pounds so I can't lose weight. I take vitamins and pretty healthy diet. Not a big sugar lover either. I'm just hoping the retest will blame the sugary mint.
I don't mean to be a naysayer, but, sometimes it can't be helped no matter what you do to stop it. I am 98 pounds and I am a VERY healthy eater, never was a big sugar eater either, but I was genetically prone, so, no matter what I did, I was unable to stop it. I do however, keep it very much under control with my diet and lifestyle. My last fasting (via vein draw) 4 weeks ago was 90 (87 on my meter-- I take it at the same time as they do to make sure my meter is working ok). But, even if the mint wasn't the culprit, at least it's in the "pre-diabetic" stages and you can defintiely prevent it for possibly years if you take measures now.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
(female)

LilliTN HB User

I actually just got back from internist who said not to be concerned with 101. They did do another draw to compare to so I'll post back when I get that. Of course I am concerned as both my grandparents on my mom's side were diabetic. Gmother never propregressed to insulin shots but Gfather went from hypo to ultimately diabetic with daily insulin in his 80s. My mother at 70 has remained prediabetic. Father with no parent history is now diabetic controlled with pills.

Can you suggest where I should start? A good book I can pick up to guide me to the right KIND of exercise and diet guidelines? I'm feeling really stupid since I've never had to address this.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
.... Can you suggest where I should start? A good book I can pick up to guide me to the right KIND of exercise and diet guidelines? ...
It is really quite simple, and you don't need a book to tell you what to do. The sensible thing to do is to avoid food that requires large amounts of insulin for it to be metabolised. In other words, you need to minimise your consumption of carbohydrates. More specifically, avoid the white foods - cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and processed foods that contain sugar and/or flour. Also keep away from fruit juices. Doing this will reduce the pressure on your pancreas to produce insulin, and it will minimise the raising of blood glucose. It will at least retard the progression of insulin resistance, and it should keep you healthy for a long time.

Last edited by Mark1e; 04-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I learned a lot from Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. I don't restrict carbs as much as he does, but I do pay attention to the number of carbs in food I eat. Read the nutrition label on food packages. Do restrict the amount of cereal, potatoes, pasta, rice etc. Exercise that builds muscle will help to keep your blood sugar readings lower. I work out at my local YMCA.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

teachergirl64 HB User

My doctor gave me a crash course in reading labels. He said to make sure the sugar content is 5 g or less, low in fat and decent in fiber content. If those 3 things are okay the rest will take care of itself. He said to not avoid all carbs. Whole grain and the good carbs are fine. Avoid white flour and processed foods and sugars. It's working because my sugars have dropped and leveled out and I've lost 42 pounds without really trying.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
(female)

LilliTN HB User

Thanks you guys! I have started making myself eat small meals throughout the day rather than just one at night. I'm still kind of weirded out on the carb thing (not knowing what I'm doing). I immediately started cutting out anything white and I know that's not good either so reading a book will give me some balance I'm sure. Been walking a little further than normal. Hoping I'll have a little more energy if I get back in that swing. The dogs are appreciating the daily walks for sure (3 dogs require 3 separate walks - they're excitable!) I'm optimistic

I'll report back once I get the results from the second blood draw. I'm sure I'll find a way to be more confused by it

Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Quote:
Thanks you guys! I have started making myself eat small meals throughout the day rather than just one at night. I'm still kind of weirded out on the carb thing (not knowing what I'm doing). I immediately started cutting out anything white and I know that's not good either so reading a book will give me some balance I'm sure. Been walking a little further than normal. Hoping I'll have a little more energy if I get back in that swing. The dogs are appreciating the daily walks for sure (3 dogs require 3 separate walks - they're excitable!) I'm optimistic

I'll report back once I get the results from the second blood draw. I'm sure I'll find a way to be more confused by it
Cutting out anything white is not a bad thing. That seems to be a common misconception for some reason. White flour is NOT good! It immediately turns to sugar upon eating it for everyone, not just diabetics. Good alternatives to "white" products are, such as bread, pumpernickle, rye and whole grain. For potatoes, try sweet potatoes. Ironically, these are very low on the glycemix index scale (get familiar with this- the higher on the scale, the worse it is on blood sugar). As far as sweet potatoes, I bake them, boil and mash them with some brummel and brown "butter" (has the least amount of fat I can find) or even dice them up and roast them in olive oil and spices with some red a yellow peppers. I also make "cauliflower mash," which is just a bag of frozen cauliflower steamed, then put in a food processor for about 10-30 seconds, depending on how "mashed" you like them. Then I add the brummel and brown and a little salt. You would be very surprised at how much they taste like mashed potatoes. You could even add a thin, non-flour based gravy. (I used Au-jus- but it may be too watery for some people, or eat them as is). There are also sweet potatoe fries. I feed these to my son (who thankfully is not a diabetic, but let's face it, he's got my genes). For pasta, I use spaghetti squash. Cut it in half and bake it halves down for like an hour or so (take the seeds out first), then when it's done, scrape it with your fork and it comes out in strands like spaghetti!! It's awesome! With some sauce on it (I use Gia Russa tomatoe basil--it has 6g/carbs serving) it tastes very close to pasta. There are also all kinds of different squashes you can cook similar to that potatoe side most people are used to. Hope this helps a little!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
(female)

LilliTN HB User

I really hate sweet potatoes (and spaghetti squash too!) but I think the cauliflower mash is right up my alley.

I have read that if I have to have potato and don't like sweet potato that "new" potato is a better alternative than baking. They also suggest to leave the skin on. Thoughts on that one?

Also on butter, it has no carbs (per the box) so I'm cutting butter because of fat content?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
(female)

LilliTN HB User

Got a verbal on my followup glucose test. Fasted 12 hours again. Different dr and possibly different lab (I'll know when I actually have the paper in my hand) but nurse said results were normal this time with a 90 reading. They did an A1c also and she said it was within range. Regardless I will post actuals when I get this in hand. If it is in range I will use this as a wake up call regardless to eat regular small meals/snacks rather than the one late one I'd been doing. I have been doing this eating thing for the past week along with a 30 min-1 hr walk daily and I DO feel better and am sleeping better, etc.

Is it possible that the 101 reading was influenced by the fact that I had been eating healthy foods but not enough? Not drinking enough fluids (I have to force myself to drink anything)? I also grew up allergic to oranges but had been drinking more fresh orange juice the 2 weeks prior to my test (I was able to tolerate it and really liking it - growing up it made me sweat and dizzy, an immediate buzz).

The little mint flub prior to test would not have made a 10 point difference I don't think (like you guys said with just 2g of sugar).

Comments? I'll be sure to come back with an exact report and ranges from the new test and see what doc says in the notes when I get it.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Let us know what that A1C result is. Try low carb dishes. They are great. Zucchini mash is good too... Keep in touch.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-17-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Closed Thread