It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Age 35 no family diabetes history, but having diabetes symptoms

Does anyone else gets my symptoms but easily passed the glucose tolerance test?

Symptoms:
Started out with high blood pressure, throbbing head, but now normal blood pressure.
Frequent thirst at night, urination, keeps me awake every 2 hours.
Fatigue in the morning and after meal, cold and numb fingers.
Happens every 6~9 month for the last 5 years, usually goes away 2 weeks or so. The last attack has been 3 months long now.

I have NO family history of diabetes at all, and am 35 years old.
I do sit in front of a computer for extended amounts of time, and have inch thick belly fat. I have lost 12 lbs of body fat since. (7% of total)
My pcp ordered blood test, and the tolerance test came out fine. I also have home glucose tester, and the level is always normal.

I do have a non-functioning gallbladder (HIDA Efficiency 7%) due to chronic cholecystitis, but my doctor told me that would not cause diabetes symptoms.

Is there such a thing as pre-diabetes? what can I do to relieve the symptoms since my doctor would not prescribe diabetes medications for me (due to my age & non-diagnose) and sleeping pills doesn't help... Should I do the CT scan on the pancreas? I am not so sure if the radiation risks (10mSv, amounts to 3 years of "natural" radiation) would out-weight the scan...

Last edited by AlanPi; 05-20-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Age 35 no family diabetes history, but having diabetes symptoms

There is such thing as prediabetes, but it should show up on the glucose tolerance test. I would speak to your doctor about other possible causes of your symptoms, and keep a watchful eye out for blood sugar readings that are abnormal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPi View Post
Does anyone else gets my symptoms but easily passed the glucose tolerance test?

Symptoms:
Started out with high blood pressure, throbbing head, but now normal blood pressure.
Frequent thirst at night, urination, keeps me awake every 2 hours.
Fatigue in the morning and after meal, cold and numb fingers.
Happens every 6~9 month for the last 5 years, usually goes away 2 weeks or so. The last attack has been 3 months long now.

I have NO family history of diabetes at all, and am 35 years old.
I do sit in front of a computer for extended amounts of time, and have inch thick belly fat. I have lost 12 lbs of body fat since. (7% of total)
My pcp ordered blood test, and the tolerance test came out fine. I also have home glucose tester, and the level is always normal.

I do have a non-functioning gallbladder (HIDA Efficiency 7%) due to chronic cholecystitis, but my doctor told me that would not cause diabetes symptoms.

Is there such a thing as pre-diabetes? what can I do to relieve the symptoms since my doctor would not prescribe diabetes medications for me (due to my age & non-diagnose) and sleeping pills doesn't help... Should I do the CT scan on the pancreas? I am not so sure if the radiation risks (10mSv, amounts to 3 years of "natural" radiation) would out-weight the scan...
Is your thirst and urination only at night??? If so, perhaps just reducing the amount you drink at night might help with the urination. If you were thirsty from diabetes, you would be thirsty all the time. Do you sleep with a ceiling fan or the air vent blowing right at your face? Perhaps it is drying out your sinuses, causing you to have a dry throat or be thirsty and the more you drink, the more you urinate. Fatigue in the morning could be b/c you are up every two hours using the bathroom and not getting solid, continuous sleep. You said you sit at a computer all day? Could your fingers being numb be carpal tunnel? Pre-diabetes would definitely show up on your glucose test. Your doctor is wise NOT to prescribe diabetes meds for you...you would go too low continuously and that isn't good either. Good luck and I hope you and your doctor figure this out.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Thanks for the replies! I have gotten better since the post. I can now actually sleep through the night. I find drinking Proppel water (lite Gatorate) before night helps. I also drink apple juice throughout the day to help the gallbladder/liver.

I do get constant thirst from time to time, not just at night. Not very often, but when I get the constant thirst I have to sip on wanter constantly.

Since the symptoms finally went away, I am going to continue eating healthy and exercise; perhaps a lot of the symptoms are caused by stress (I refuse to admit to having stress, but maybe I am stressed out), and I have planned to keep the CT scan on -hold unless the symptoms come back and there are other reasons to expose myself to a CT Scan's radiation.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPi View Post

I do get constant thirst from time to time, not just at night. Not very often, but when I get the constant thirst I have to sip on wanter constantly.

there's a big difference between thirst and sipping, and the thirst that i had before diagnosis. i was so thirsty i would gulp water, almost wishing it would go down my throat faster than i would gulp it. it was never enough. sipping was not even an option.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
(male)

AlanPi HB User

The thirst I have is certainly not extreme. It's just that after I drink enough water, moments later I would feel thirsty again. So to prevent constantly going to the rest room, I would just sip some at a time.

Apparently it's not diabetes. Maybe not even pre-diabetes. I will feel thirsty after a meal, and always before bowel movement.

My "Real" Doc ordered me a CT Scan, and urges me to go thourgh it, although it is a radiation risk (10 mSv = 3 Years of natural radiation). I am not too thrilled about the radiation part but I suppose I should find out what is wrong with me...

Closed Thread