It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

mary1003 HB User
question insulin

i have been on glipride and glipizde for about six months now
one each in morning and one each in evening
got my bs down to 170 to 230

i was 570 when started

i thought i had got it down pretty good

doctor put me on humilin 70/30 about three weeks ago and bs has gone up
to 350 to over 400

does any one know what causes this

new to this and still trying to find out info

i love to read the boards

thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: question insulin

70/30 is the simplest type of insulin ratio, and often doesn't have great results because it is the type of insulin that is least similar to the body's natural insulin release. You would be much better off with a long acting insulin once daily and using a short acting insulin whenever you eat. Using short acting insulin like Humalog more closely mimics the body's usual response to increasing blood sugar when eating. A longer acting insulin such as Lantus helps maintain better blood glucose control by releasing a more or less steady rate of insulin. This controls spikes in blood sugar throughout the day, for between 18-24 hours. Using a system like Lantus/ Humalog pens requires many more shots daily, upwards of 4-10 depending on how frequently you eat throughout the day, but it is well worth it in preventing complications. Unfortunately, 70/30 is the cheapest solution for insulin routines, but you get what you pay for. Talk to you endo about your concerns with the 70/30. Good luck.
Wallis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I fully agree with Wallis. And, given that the gliburide and glipized were not bringing your blood sugars down to even near-normal, it looks like insulin will be the only way for you to go now.

Scary as it might be to have to manage insulin regimens, once you get used to it, it actually is a relief. With the regimen that Wallis mentioned (lantus plus either humalog or novolog), you'd also have a bit more flexibility in terms of what and when you eat.

Ruth

Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
(female)

mary1003 HB User

thank you for info

i am just new to this and trying to find

all i can

trying get to know what to eat and what not to

what to drink and what not to

and about all the meds and insulin

just reading the board has been a big help

thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
(female)

celeste77 HB User

Mary, my endo just took me off all my oral meds and my byetta shot and put me on insulin, i'm up to 15-20 units of novalog before meals and lantus in the evening which is longer lasting or a 24 hour insulin. My blood sugars went banana's!!!. I was over 400 and felt horrible. My endo told me that it takes time to adjust to the meds. I'm not sure how long as I am still adjusting but now in the 200's and this afternoon 165, best of luck and hope that everything works out!

Closed Thread