It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Excercise

The other day I was on a flight and the guy next to me popped out his meter, tested, sighed and gave himself an insulin shot. So I started chatting, explained I was type 2ish and we got on the subject of excercise. He must have been about 35.

He told me that when he trains, his insulin requirements are almost half for a given week. I was amazed.

Not being on insulin, it's hard for me to see what impact excercise is having. I guess my body is using less insulin, which is a good thing, it's just not visible to me.

So I wondered what other posters experience with excercise is, both T1 and t2s.

What is the best time of day for you to do excercise ?
What does excercise do to your immediate levels and a few hours after excercise ?
What type of levels of excercise do you do ?
Do you excercise before or after meals ?
As T1s, does your insulin requirements drop ?

I am now more on a night schedule. if I excercise before breakfast, my levels go up. So I would have to eat at 5AM to be able to run at 6:30...too early..
If I eat too many carbs and go to say a 162, then go run, I will drop to a 70. If I go to say a 140, I won't drop as bad.
I suspect at 162, insulin is building up and the run causes it to take effect and cause a big drop.

It makes it more challenging to figure out what to eat before a long period of excercise.

Do people snack as they do their excercises. I suspect fatty stuff like peanut butter may be a good 'slow carb release' thing to eat before 60 to 90 minutes of intense excercise.

Anyways...just wanted to see other people's experience and look for things to try

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Re: Excercise

What a coincidence that you wound up next to a fellow diabetic. Does he train to run marathons or weight train or is he a triathlete, etc?? What kind of training? Thatís fascinating that his insulin requirements are half for a week when he trains.

Iíve also found that exercise has a pretty significant impact on my blood sugar. As an example, there was one day a few weeks ago where I had some carbs with lunch, and 2 hours later my reading was around 145. I was bummed and tested again a half hour later and it had only gone down to around 140. Disgruntled, I decided to hit the gym for some weights and a little cardio. When I returned an hour later I was down to around 80.

When I was pregnant, I was pretty religious about walking after a meal and that seemed to be just about the only way I could keep my numbers normal (w/o meds) and not deprive myself of complex carbs (which I needed being pregnant at the time). If I didnít walk, my numbers would always be out of range.

I honestly havenít kept track of all of the issues youíve outlined in your questions closely. I now think itís certainly worth it, though I think there are a lot of variables at play. But when I was diagnosed with Type II, I took up weight training since Iíd read in several places that building lean muscle tissue improves insulin sensitivity and increases the amount of glucose used.

After having a period of high fasting bgís about 2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed that my bgís were going back down into the 90s for about 5 days in a row. Hubby suggested that the effects of building muscle take time, and perhaps it was finally going into effect. (Then we went to visit out of state relatives, my normal diet and exercise regiment went out the window, and my fasting bgís are back up). Also, I was less stressed at the time so again, itís hard to pinpoint what variable is having the most impact.

I should note that when I started weight training I did go overboard. Iíd train every other day (only a one day break in between) despite being sore. After learning more about weight training I now know that rest and recovery has a key role in generating muscle and increasing strength. Now I weight train about 2-3 times a week and make sure I do some light cardio on my off days.

As far as the weight training goes (I may get edited here), there are a few resources I could point you to that have been useful to me: The Cardio-free Diet (book), The 12-second Sequence by Jorge Cruise (DVD), and I also did these workouts by Gilad that air daily on the Discovery Channel.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
. Does he train to run marathons or weight train or is he a triathlete, etc?? What kind of training?
He was a cyclist.

Quote:
. As an example, there was one day a few weeks ago where I had some carbs with lunch, and 2 hours later my reading was around 145. I was bummed and tested again a half hour later and it had only gone down to around 140. Disgruntled, I decided to hit the gym for some weights and a little cardio. When I returned an hour later I was down to around 80.
This is a pretty good sign of your insulin resistance. The way I was explained is you have this insulin being produced and not being efficiently used. When you excercised (especially the cardio) you dramatically improved it's use. It's there, so boom, you drop fast.

I bet if your levels would have been higher, your drop would have been even greater. My theory is that the best time to do cardio is when your levels peak after a meal and your body has produced some insulin to bring it down. But not too high or else you can go hypo. Just a theory.

If my levels are too low, I trigger a liver dump if I push hard. This is normal.
If too high, I can cause a big drop. I never allow it to go too high but once did an OGTT, hit like 200, ran and went hypo big time.

Quote:
. I took up weight training since Iíd read in several places that building lean muscle tissue improves insulin sensitivity and increases the amount of glucose used.
It also allows more calories to be consumed per day..i.e...I can eat more :-)

Quote:
Also, I was less stressed at the time so again, itís hard to pinpoint what variable is having the most impact.
Stress has a HUGE impact on levels. Cortisol production (caused by stress) causes insulin resistance and decreases insulin production.

Quote:
. I should note that when I started weight training I did go overboard. Iíd train every other day (only a one day break in between) despite being sore. After learning more about weight training I now know that rest and recovery has a key role in generating muscle and increasing strength. Now I weight train about 2-3 times a week and make sure I do some light cardio on my off days.
The alternative is to alternate muscle groups so that you work one set hard one day, another set the next, to give the first group a day off. You are right, the rest is when your muscle actually builds.

I have 2 weight programs, that I alternate every 3 months. One routine is 3x a week, the other is daily alternating muscle groups. After x months of doing the same routine, your body will get used to it and not evolve as quickly

Quote:
As far as the weight training goes (I may get edited here), there are a few resources I could point you to that have been useful to me: The Cardio-free Diet (book), The 12-second Sequence by Jorge Cruise (DVD), and I also did these workouts by Gilad that air daily on the Discovery Channel.
I will check them out. I run 6 days a week, weight train 3times a week, and even tried yoga for the stress. I am slightly excessive

But I love to see other programs and borrow ideas from them.

Thanks for your comments, I saw lots of views and no replies. I figured either everyone is shy or nobody is excercising

Old 05-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I have been doing muscle building exercises for more than a year. My legs and arms show the effects, being quite a bit larger. I usually go an hour before lunch and notice that my blood sugar is much lower than it is on days I don't exercise. I have been working harder at increasing weights lately and am up to 260# on the leg press and 100# on abdominal press. I do get comments from others at the Y on the amount of weight I can do. I am 72 and am doing double the weights that much younger women are doing. I am beating some of the men as well.

Sometimes, when I eat more carbs than I should and my blood sugar is in the 150-160 range, I will do a few minutes of vigorous running in place and my blood sugar will drop a lot.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Itotito, your theory is interesting. I'll have to ask my endocrinologist about it when I see him in a few weeks. When do you think insulin levels normally peak after a meal?

Regarding your point about stress, I did notice that normally when I wake up in the morning I do go into this tizzy thinking about everything ahead of me during the day. And I read that flight or fight can trigger a liver dump. So the days that I felt less stressed I did notice lower numbers.

A total aside here regarding fasting bg's - I woke up around 2:30ish the other night to tend to my baby, and figured I'd test my sugar which was around 97 I think. I decided I'd try a light snack (5 cashews) since I'd read that could help. In the morning my fasting bg was 87 which was the lowest it's ever been since I was diagnosed! I thought the only time a snack could help was if your bg was very low, and mine clearly was not too low. I'll have to keep trying this out.

Back to exercise. Yes, I do alternate muscle groups. I do large muscle groups on one day, and smaller muscles another day (e.g. abs and arms).

Personally I think we can't really be excessive with exercise being diabetic!

LauraBow, that's pretty awesome that you can lift so much! I'll be honest, I have a bit of a dilemma (this will sound silly) but I'm afraid of getting too bulky. Right now I'm toned and I'd prefer to keep it that way. However my undestanding is that as your muscles get used to a given amount of weight, you need to increase weight to continue generating muscle...which means I'll get bulkier (right?)...so I'm not really sure of what to do. Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Itotito, your theory is interesting. I'll have to ask my endocrinologist about it when I see him in a few weeks. When do you think insulin levels normally peak after a meal?

Regarding your point about stress, I did notice that normally when I wake up in the morning I do go into this tizzy thinking about everything ahead of me during the day. And I read that flight or fight can trigger a liver dump. So the days that I felt less stressed I did notice lower numbers.

A total aside here regarding fasting bg's - I woke up around 2:30ish the other night to tend to my baby, and figured I'd test my sugar which was around 97 I think. I decided I'd try a light snack (5 cashews) since I'd read that could help. In the morning my fasting bg was 87 which was the lowest it's ever been since I was diagnosed! I thought the only time a snack could help was if your bg was very low, and mine clearly was not too low. I'll have to keep trying this out.

Back to exercise. Yes, I do alternate muscle groups. I do large muscle groups on one day, and smaller muscles another day (e.g. abs and arms).

Personally I think we can't really be excessive with exercise being diabetic!

LauraBow, that's pretty awesome that you can lift so much! I'll be honest, I have a bit of a dilemma (this will sound silly) but I'm afraid of getting too bulky. Right now I'm toned and I'd prefer to keep it that way. However my undestanding is that as your muscles get used to a given amount of weight, you need to increase weight to continue generating muscle...which means I'll get bulkier (right?)...so I'm not really sure of what to do. Any ideas?
I'm guessing insulin peaks around 75-90 mins, depending on what you ate. Glucose probably peaks around 60 minutes. Of course slow carbs will take longer.

Stress raises cortisol levels. Cortisols cause liver to dump and increase insulin resistance. Cortisol is nasty for diabetics.

If you don't want to bulk, do lots of repetitions, lower weight, less rest between sets. Less reps, with more weight and rest will cause more bulk. I train for resistance and not bulk so I always do 3 sets of 12 with 45 seconds between sets. To get bulk, I would do 3 sets of 6 with 2 minutes between sets and higher weigtht. I make sure I can barely finish my 3rd set.

Last edited by itotito; 05-30-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
(female)

I don't think women can get bulky like men can. We get toned firm muscle.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBow View Post
I don't think women can get bulky like men can. We get toned firm muscle.
Of course you don't get as bulky, however depending on how you weight train, you try to achieve more bulk or more muscle resistance. This applies for men and women.

When you train, you try to bring your muscle to 'collapse', the point where it can't any more.

Let's say you are working your bicep. You can try 40 lbs and say your muscle won't be able to anymore after 6 reps. This will build bulk. However if you do 30lbs, at 12 repetitions, you will be resistance more than bulk. It all depends what you want to achieve.

I find the right recipe is to always do 3 sets, first one should be easy, second should be a little harder and you should struggle to finish the 3rd. Do this with 45 seconds in between and you will build strength, resistance and muscle with less bulk.

PS : don't forget your protein, it helps feed the muscle and get rid of some of the soreness

Last edited by itotito; 06-01-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
(female)

Right now for biceps, I am doing 30 lbs for 12 reps and 30 sec in between. so I should probably add another set. I am using the machines, not free weights.

Closed Thread