It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
(male)

onlyglass HB User
I found out today that I probably have diabetes.

A few days ago, after a spot on my face got infected, my doctor took a blood test, to check my blood sugar levels. I had no opportunity to fast, obviously, and it was about 11am when the test was done, nbut I still thought there wouldn't be a problem. However, this morning I received a letter from the surgery asking me to come back in a week to the treatment room (presumably to have more tests done) as the levels were "slightly high".

I don't eat brilliantly, don't exercise a massive amount although I do walk a lot - but I'm 21 years old, 5 ft 8 and slim (under 9 stone), so I can't be doing a huge amount wrong. And yet, I think it's fair to conclude from these results that I have diabetes. I'm feeling rather worried right now, as you can imagine.

Can I assume that I'm going back for more tests? Or will my doctor just say that, because my levels are slightly high, I need to watch what I eat and do more exercise? I don't think I could cope with being diabetic at such a young age.

Last edited by onlyglass; 05-30-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: I found out today that I probably have diabetes.

How many hours before the test had you eaten ? Did they ask you when you had eaten

Did they ask you to do the next set of tests fasting ?

Last edited by moderator2; 06-03-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

balikitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyglass View Post
A few days ago, after a spot on my face got infected, my doctor took a blood test, to check my blood sugar levels. I had no opportunity to fast, obviously, and it was about 11am when the test was done, nbut I still thought there wouldn't be a problem. However, this morning I received a letter from the surgery asking me to come back in a week to the treatment room (presumably to have more tests done) as the levels were "slightly high".

I don't eat brilliantly, don't exercise a massive amount although I do walk a lot - but I'm 21 years old, 5 ft 8 and slim (under 9 stone), so I can't be doing a huge amount wrong. And yet, I think it's fair to conclude from these results that I have diabetes. I'm feeling rather worried right now, as you can imagine.

Can I assume that I'm going back for more tests? Or will my doctor just say that, because my levels are slightly high, I need to watch what I eat and do more exercise? I don't think I could cope with being diabetic at such a young age.
I wouldnt assume that you have diabetes. If you have diabetes, you would have symptoms, tiredness, thirst, urination, and when I say thirst, I mean extreme thirst. That is after the blood sugars get pretty high though. The test that was done, could have been wrong, that has happened to me before. If your Dr. is concerned about this, he will tell you to do a fasting blood lab, and go from there. So, right now, I wouldnt assume you have diabetes.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
(male)

onlyglass HB User

Thanks both of you, for the advice and reassurance. As it turns out, my blood sugar levels were fine. The letter didn't make this clear of course, but I went to my GP today, and the reason I had to have the test repeated was because my potassium levels were a bit high. And, since all the other kidney-related levels were okay, it appears that it may just have been the result of me eating a banana before the original test, something like that.

Needless to say, over the past week or so I've really been watching what I eat. It's funny that it's taken something like a diabetes scare to prompt me to start taking proper care of myself.

Closed Thread