It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Does metformin make u tired and gassy?

So I bit the bullet and started on metformin a few days ago. Fortunately I haven't had the dreadful diarrhea I hear is commonly associated with it. Then again, right now I'm only on a half dose (500mg every night) and my dr. plans to work me up to 1000mg.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced increased fatigue with metformin? I've been more tired than usual and I'm not sure if it's related (or if it's just the heat wave where I live!) I would have thought that normalizing my sugars would make me feel more energized.

Also, does metformin make you gassy? That's another new symptom I have and I'm not sure of how to remedy it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Re: Does metformin make u tired and gassy?

Oh, and in addition to metformin making you tired and gassy, does it also make you more hungry? I've noticed that I have this new gnawing hunger that I didn't have before. Is this b/c of the metformin???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

Yes metformin makes you gassy!!!! GGGRR You might be tired because your numbers are still high. May I ask what they are?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

You did???? I know you battled with this decision for a while. What were your numbers like and your A1C prior to going on it? I don't recall them being that bad! But I think you were mostly concerned with the constant "hits" your pancreas was taking, right? How did they determine these "hits?" Were you having really high spikes? If so, how high is too high? I asked my doc about putting me on something and he said no, not with my numbers. I battle with this decision too honestly...

Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
(female)

uma_anne HB User

It was a very tough decision for me but the reason I decided to go on it was b/c of higher fasting glucoses. My fasting numbers have pretty consistently been between 100 and 110. I had a few normal ones in the 90s but even that's the higher end of normal. My liver is making sugar and from what I understood diet could not really remedy that. And yes, my doctor noted that every time I hit a high bg my pancreas was taking a hit. And I dread going on insulin more than I dread meds.

Also, my husband who seems to have a better undestanding of Type II than I do noted that if I did ever wind up going on insulin, it'd be like adding fuel to the fire...b/c I'm already insulin resistant, so I'd need a much higher dose of insulin than say someone with Type I diabetes. So I really want to avoid insulin as much as I can.

The last time I had my A1C checked back in February it was 5.4 which was normal. Also at that time my fasting bg during my 3 hour oral glucose tolerance test was 99 (high end of normal). It was my 2 hour level of 201 that resulted in the Type II diagnosis.

Since then I've been checking my post meal glucoses which generally range between 100-110 (low carb meals), I'd go up to around 125 with complex carbs and with refined carbs I generally went up to 140. At one time I hit a high of around 160 but again that was b/c I had something I really shouldn't have had to begin with.

I should note that I didn't feel so fatigued before the metformin.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Gosh...it just doesn't sound like you were running THAT high. But I understand about the fastings. At 201 you JUST made the diabetes diagnosis. Every lab is different and maybe at another you'd have been 199 or something. It sounds like you are teetering between diabetes and Glucose Intolerance, or pre-diabetes. Please keep me posted on what the met does for you.

You and I are VERY similar in situation and I'd like to keep in touch through here if possibe to see what kind of progress you are making. My last A1C was 5.6, which they said was "normal" even though the one before that was 5.2. My fastings with my meter are in the high 80's and through blood draw is (last one) was 90. When you say post meal numbers, are you referring to 2 hr or 1? My 2hrs are usually between 105-125, sometimes (like the experiment with the stone ground bread) was 137. Not happy with that! My fiance is pretty savvy on diabetes and he keeps telling me that its the LONG term highs that cause the damage, not a one hour spike. I just don't know. My doc is not willing to put me on anything right now anyway and to be honest, I'm not sure if I want to, but if it would make things better for me I would...I just don't know what that answer is. Please keep me posted.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: not necessary to discuss what's not allowed

Old 06-13-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
(female)

littleshelly HB User

Yes, gassy and tired when I first started. Seems better now. I have heard people loose weight on it and it is suppose to reduce appetite. Not seen that yet.

Closed Thread