It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

ctnc1234 HB User
Question what is PRE-diabetic??

I was just told I am pre-diabetic, what is that? I have it or I don't! So what do I do with that? Eat like I have diabetes, or.......? I don't know what I am supposed to eat. I think I just need to start with a new doctor. I just got something in the mail saying my test results revealed pre-diabeetic. But no explanation on what I should do or anything. So very !!!!!

HELP! Clueless.....and scared.
CT

Old 06-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: what is PRE-diabetic??

Type I diabetes is a disease, you either have it or you don't. Type II is more of a spectrum. Pre-diabetes means that your test results (some sort of glucose test, I assume?) Anyway the test results are worse than normal, but not bad enough to count as diabetic.

Pre-diabetes can sometimes be reversed through lifestyle changes. My brother-in-law did. If you are overweight, carefully try to lose the excess. If you don't exercise at least several times a week, start doing that. You also probably want to make some changes to your diet, minimizing sugar and white starch, eating more whole grains and vegetables.

Speaking to a doctor or nutritionist about the best way to start these changes is a good idea. Try calling back your current doctor and asking for advice on what to do now. If you get nowhere, then, definitely, different doc time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Re: what is PRE-diabetic??

I should also mention that if you are pre-diabetic, then you are type 2 pre-diabetic. Yes, you need to start taking precautions NOW before you wind up with full blown diabetes. It means that your pancreas is impaired and working harder than it should or not as well as it should, or that your insulin is not being used effectively. Whatever the case, you need to make lifestyle changes now. You need to definitely alter your diet and cut out simple carbohydrates mainly and sugar (including soda!). My best advice, have your doctor refer you to a dietician that specializes in diabetes. If you have a Joslin clinic near you, they are great. Exercise is also important. You need to implement some sort of exercise, even a 20 min walk (more is better) most days/nights of the week.

Closed Thread