It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

Rachel0320 HB User
Question So Very Confused

First off - Hello, my name is Rachel, I am new to this and have lots of questions.

I just learned of my high blood sugar on Monday. I stopped at my mom's house after work and had her check it. She has Type 2 and has the monitor to do it with. Anyway, it read 239! Ahhh! Just to go back a bit...... I developed a yeast infection with this month's and last month's "time of month". That is what prompted all this. My OBGYN suggested I get my sugar checked. So, I made an appointment with my Dr. for Tuesday afternoon. She set me up to have bloodwork Thursday morning for the A1c. I am trying to have a glimmer of hope that it will come back pre-diabates, but don't think so with my numbers. My mother also had a few monitors and gave me one to check for a few days. Two days in a row my morning sugars were 195.

Ok, here's my BIG question.......... How the heck are you suppose to eat??????? I mean I get the whole stay away from sugar and "white" stuff and eat low carb and all that, but at the same time, I'm confused. I have eaten very good for like 2 days, but tonight had a breakdown and had 6 oreos, 5 pizza bites, 1/2 french bread pizza, cup of chocolate milk, 5 crackers with cheese and a cup of regular milk. I wasn't going to check my sugar as I was scared because of all I had eaten, but then decided I need to face the music. So, I checked it and it was 201. Now, I know that's high, but this afternoon after a cup of berries it was 288!!!!!!! I can't imagine how fresh fruit can make it go higher that all the junk I ate tonight! My mother said because there was fat with it to slow the digestion, the berries are like straight sugar?!

I know I've rambled, I'm just trying to figure things out. I really need to do alot more research on all this. WOW! Very overwhelming! I've been crying for three days just trying to figure this all out and beating myself up at the same. I am also very overweight and preety much knew this was going to happen, but.........

Well, thanks to all who listen and answer. This mesage board looks great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

Jenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB User
Re: So Very Confused

Hi Rachel, It does take more than 2 days of eating right for your sugars to be under control. Your sugars may have been out of control for a long time. Fruit has natural sugar and yes it can raise your levels very high. Don't be upset you can definitely get this under control. It does take discipline but you can do it. Just walking 20 minutes a day will help you and make you feel better but remember it will take time. Watch your carbs and fat intake and of course your calories.Your doctor can recommend a nutritionist for you. You will learn that you can still enjoy your favorite foods but in moderation. Good luck to you and let us know how your doing.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Re: So Very Confused

Yes, you definitely need to see your doctor and have him refer you to a dietician. Preferably one that specializes in diabetes. If you have a Joslin clinic there, they are great. You REALLY need to stop the junk eating! Or eat it in VERY small amounts and in moderation. You are not doing yourself any favors. As mentioned in the previous post, you need to start SOME type of exercise. I walk 30 mins a day, 5 days a week and you'd be surprised how much it helps! You may also need to get on some oral meds, or whatever your doctor prescribes. 195 fasting is definitely diabetes. After a while, if you bring your sugars down, you MAY be able to get off of the meds and control it just with diet and exercise. Some fruits are very high is sugar, so you need to watch those, especially watermelon, oranges, bananas etc. Your body doesn't know the difference between natural and refined sugar. Try cutting your berries down to a quarter of a cup at a time and see how it does. But you need to see a doctor asap. Preferably an endocrinologist as well as a dietician. Keep us posted. Good luck.
And, please remember, it is not the end of the world and it CAN BE CONTROLLED! It is mainly up to YOU! There are a lot of us battling this on here and we are very supportive of each other so stay in touch! Take care!

Closed Thread