It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
(male)

iworryalot HB User
Fasting glucose at 7.0 - I'm worried!

I recently had my blood sugar measure during a routine blood test and exam, and it was 7.0 mmol/L.

My doctor told me that I shouldn't worry, only if it is as high as maybe 10 or 15, but I've read in serious medical magazines that any fasting blood glucose AT or above 7.0 mmol is EQUAL to diabetes!

I've asked other doctors and they don't seem to worry, but I am, because I feel they are all ignoring the very fact that I am developing diabetes!

The only alternate explanation for high blood glucose is that I've read somewhere on the net that blood glucose may rise during physical or emotional stress like infection. I remember the day I had the blood test done: I had a mild fever and had a sore throat. Before before the blood test I had a panic attack. About 30 minutes before I had to undergo the exam and blood test, my pulse might have been well above 120 bpm. (during the EKG test my pulse was over 120).

Can anyone confirm if a panic attack + infection can cause a fasting blood glucose to rise to 7.0?

What do I do?

Last edited by iworryalot; 06-27-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User
Re: Fasting glucose at 7.0 - I'm worried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iworryalot View Post
... Can anyone confirm if a panic attack + infection can cause a fasting blood glucose to rise to 7.0?

What do I do?
A panic attack and/or an infexction would definitely raise the blood glucose of a diabetic. Whether a non-diabetic would be affected in the same way is uncertain. I suggest that you have a fasting BG test done when you are feel ij well, and see what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
(male)

iworryalot HB User
Re: Fasting glucose at 7.0 - I'm worried!

Quote:
Whether a non-diabetic would be affected in the same way is uncertain.
What about type 2 diabetes?
Or does blood glucose only raise during infection in type 1 diabetes?

How much will the blood glucose raise in a diabetic during infection or panic attack?

If I were to be diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, how long can I then expect to live? When will I eventually go blind?

Closed Thread