It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

PandaGramy HB User
New and concerned

I saw my endo last week-he looked at bloodwork I did with another doc and was concerned that my fasting bs was 107. He had me go for more fasting blood work. I just got the results from an office nurse-

glucose 91
A1C 5.9
av sugar (which I assume comes from the A1C) 120

my triglyserides were also high at 183

Having a diabetic kitty I know that fructosamine tests aren't necessarily reliable for diagnosis and from a previous post I see that's also true of the A1C.

I started on a low carb diet last week and plan to test at least a couple times a week-I am 30-50 lbs over weight (depending on who you talk to) and I know I have to work harder to exercise-we are also questioning fibromyalgia so the pain has made me lazy, I'm afraid. I tested 3 hours pp the other night and was 113.

My next appointment is in 6 mo, so I have a lot of work to do between now and then. Doc is considering me pre-diabetic-any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks,
Pam

Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: New and concerned

Pam,
That's exactly what it sounds like...pre-diabetes (or impaired glucose tolerance, or insulin resistance) but not full-blown diabetes, YET!

This is, in fact, an excellent bit of news for you. Too many people are not warned when their numbers start going up, so they don't have the opportunity to take action until they've already started developing symptoms of diabetes, by which time there may be some permanent damage.

So, this wake up call is actually a great opportunity in disguise. I know how difficult it can be to exercise with FM, as I also have it. If you haven't been exercising regularly, you have to start off VERY, VERY slowly...just five minutes a day. And when you start feeling okay with 5 minutes, don't increase it to 25 minutes...increase it by 5-minute increments. Exercise is actually very good for FM, and once I got up to about 1/2 hour even three times a week, I started feeling much better. And, of course, it'll help your body overcome its insulin resistance.

And low-carbing is good, too. Weight loss will also help, but here again...do it slowly. You're much more likely to stick with it and keep it off if you don't go on such a restricted diet that you can't live with it for more than a couple of months.

At this point, you have an excellent chance of reversing the course of this illness, so grab on to it!

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

PandaGramy HB User
Re: New and concerned

Thanks Ruth!

I've been dreading this news my whole life-my grandfather was an insulin dependant diabetic. My grandmother was diagnosed, but I don't remember her doing anything about it. My mother was considered pre-diabetic, but she was also an alcoholic and while she checked her sugars for awhile she started having TIA's and then developed liver cancer and that was the end. I have been tested at least yearly since childhood. I've just pushed it to the limit...no more! I have an extreme fear of needles and lancets (luckily I was able to test and shoot my diabetic kitty) so testing is just what I need to keep me on track! LOL!

Pam

Closed Thread