It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

nojunkmail22 HB User
Unhappy Am I really diabetic??

I am 42 and seeing an endocrinologist for hyperprolactivity. She ran some blood work (she is my new doctor) and said my blood sugar was "pre-diabetic" as it was 98 when I was fasting. She gave me a monitor and strips and told me take my readings 2 hours after meals and before breakfast. She told me they should be under 140. They average around 115 - 2 hours after a meal, and less than 100 before breakfast. She offered to give me diabetes medication, I refused it. My mom and sister both have diabetes and she is aware of this. Without medications I am well in the "normal" readings. Has this been anybody else's experience who is "pre-diabetic"

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Am I really diabetic??

Yes, I was diagnosed as being "borderline" diabetic. There is no such thing as borderline, it is like being pregnant, either you are or you are not.

Your readings are perfectly normal and you did the right thing to refuse meds at this time. Watching your diet and exercising will go a long ways in keeping you in the normal range. It is true that with family members being diabetic you have a higher risk of becoming diabetic too. However, you can control your destiny as a rule by diet/exercise. If over weight, lose weight. Exercise like your life depended on it, because it really does.

I have been diabetic now for 8 years controlling via diet/exercise, no meds. My fasting was 151 at time of diagnosis. In fact my internist told me recently that meds would not help me at this point, not bad enough. I aim for 120 after meals and 100 or less fasting. However, my fasting is much higher now. Diabetes is a progressive disease. I am what is considered riding the fence, pre-diabetes or actually have diabetes. My A1C was 5.9 recently. They consider you to be diabetic with A1C of 6.5 and above.

Have you had an A1C test? If so, what was the results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojunkmail22 View Post
I am 42 and seeing an endocrinologist for hyperprolactivity. She ran some blood work (she is my new doctor) and said my blood sugar was "pre-diabetic" as it was 98 when I was fasting. She gave me a monitor and strips and told me take my readings 2 hours after meals and before breakfast. She told me they should be under 140. They average around 115 - 2 hours after a meal, and less than 100 before breakfast. She offered to give me diabetes medication, I refused it. My mom and sister both have diabetes and she is aware of this. Without medications I am well in the "normal" readings. Has this been anybody else's experience who is "pre-diabetic"
Pre-diabetic is actually 100-125 fasting. It sounds like she is being very cautious with you having such a stong family history. Your fasting is getting up there, but with your 2 hr readings being as they are and your fastings being under 100, it doesn't sound like you are a candidate for meds. If you want to know for sure if you are truly a diabetic (as the fasting is usually the last to go) have her run a glucose tolerance test on you. With your family history, watch your diet and exercise is the best I can offer and keep an eye on it! good luck!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

nojunkmail22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
Yes, I was diagnosed as being "borderline" diabetic. There is no such thing as borderline, it is like being pregnant, either you are or you are not.

Your readings are perfectly normal and you did the right thing to refuse meds at this time. Watching your diet and exercising will go a long ways in keeping you in the normal range. It is true that with family members being diabetic you have a higher risk of becoming diabetic too. However, you can control your destiny as a rule by diet/exercise. If over weight, lose weight. Exercise like your life depended on it, because it really does.

I have been diabetic now for 8 years controlling via diet/exercise, no meds. My fasting was 151 at time of diagnosis. In fact my internist told me recently that meds would not help me at this point, not bad enough. I aim for 120 after meals and 100 or less fasting. However, my fasting is much higher now. Diabetes is a progressive disease. I am what is considered riding the fence, pre-diabetes or actually have diabetes. My A1C was 5.9 recently. They consider you to be diabetic with A1C of 6.5 and above.

Have you had an A1C test? If so, what was the results?

I don't know what an A1C test is...so I guess I haven't had one. At the time I was given the meter the doctor just told me I was pre-diabetic. Of course, I really didn't know what questions to ask her.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I agree with lilbit that your doctor is probably being way overcautious due to your family history. Lilbit is also correct that pre-diabetes is not diagnosed unless you have fasting numbers over 100, or over 140 at the two-hour post-prandial (after meals) mark.

At this point, you probably just need to test your blood sugar occasionally, just to make sure you catch it quickly if it does start going up. Two to three times a week is probably more than sufficient, as long as you vary the tests...
some am fasting, some 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner. Incidentally, you start timing the post-prandial from the beginning of your meal, not from the end.

Misty is also correct that this is perhaps an excellent opportunity for you to take charge of your food plan and exercise program and quite possibly prevent yourself from ever developing diabetes. I'd suggest that you ask your endocrinologist for a referral to a registered dietician for a few visits to learn about food portions, carbohydrate content, and general meal planning.

by the way, an A1c or an HbA1c (they're basically the same test) measures your average blood glucose over a period of 8-12 weeks. Glucose in the blood tends to bind to blood proteins, and by counting how much glucose is bound to proteins, they can tell your average bg on a 24/7 basis for the previous 8-12 weeks. Because we can't test ourselves, no matter how diligent we are, every second of every day, and A1c gives us a better idea of how our blood glucose levels are doing. But frankly, I don't think you even need that test at present, with the numbers you're experiencing.

Ruth

Old 07-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

My diabete doctor told me that if you're anemic, the hba1c will show lower by the unit of 2. Example the report came back was 6.8, if you're anemic, it should read as 8.8! I don't know if she lay on me or not.

Some diabetes medication like Metformin are pushing your pancreas to work. It isn't the insulin. It won't cause any hypo.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

i am not think that is high
however you may be having highs off and on
still no need for medications yet

Closed Thread