It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

Debra08 HB User
overdosing on insulin

overdosing on insulin- I am a type 1 diabetic, have been for 5 years. I am currently taking Lantus (injections) once per night. (insulin Pen) The over dosing on insulin is not about me. My (I call her mom she has treated me like I am her daughter for quite sometime.) Fantastic lady. Anyway, she is also on insulin injections and she has been suffering from depresion.
She is intentially overdosing on her insulin. I've talked to her about it, and she will admit that she is doing it. Not on a daily basis, but at least 3 to 4 times a week. When I say overdose, I'm talking about a full bottle at a time. I am so scared for her. She is wanting to die. She is tired of being here on earth, she has told me. I've tried getting her help, and she denies it. She hates the idea of being a diabetic, and having to be dependent on the meds, but also she is alone and feels like there's nothing else for her to do. She is 60 and I love her so. This has been going on for a while, and I just need to know what the effects would be for short term and long term.
Thank you
Debra

Last edited by Debra08; 07-10-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Had to add more

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: overdosing on insulin

While it is actually much harder than people think to commit suicide via insulin overdose, a full bottle is an awful lot to be playing around with. When you "overdose" on insulin, you have a glycogen reserve in your liver which kicks in as a life saving mechanism, producing a last ditch reserve of glucose. This is why when you take too much insulin and pass out or seize, you tend to wake up on your own with a blood sugar still at like 30-40, but conscious nonetheless, and alive. Your mother needs help undoubtedly. She is playing a very dangerous game here, especially since this last reserve of glycogen doesn't replenish itself for up to 2 days, so going extremely low during this time could be deadly. I'm sorry I don't have more useful advice, but please let us know how things are going, and I hope for the best for both of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
(female)

Debra08 HB User

Thank you very much for the information. Is helpful.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Have you thought about talking to her doctor? Or some other professional? She sounds like she may need to be evaulated and possibly put on depression medication. Please try to get that for her through some sort of medical professional. You should ask her doctor for his advice on what to do. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
(male)

pellius HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis86 View Post
While it is actually much harder than people think to commit suicide via insulin overdose, a full bottle is an awful lot to be playing around with. When you "overdose" on insulin, you have a glycogen reserve in your liver which kicks in as a life saving mechanism, producing a last ditch reserve of glucose. This is why when you take too much insulin and pass out or seize, you tend to wake up on your own with a blood sugar still at like 30-40, but conscious nonetheless, and alive. Your mother needs help undoubtedly. She is playing a very dangerous game here, especially since this last reserve of glycogen doesn't replenish itself for up to 2 days, so going extremely low during this time could be deadly. I'm sorry I don't have more useful advice, but please let us know how things are going, and I hope for the best for both of you.
If someone takes a high dosage (say, 400ius) of a fast acting insulin like Humalog how quickly must they receive treatment before it becomes fatal?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

Your question peaked my interest here at 2:30 AM on a sleepless night and I did some scouting around on the internet. I didn't find an answer. I'm not surprised, because it is not a common suicide method and there's probably not much data on it.

It seems that there are a couple of extreme cases in which as much as 1600 units were injected and the patient survived. One 51-year old male survived 1200 units when presenting comatose.

It probably depends greatly on the specifics of the injection - whether a single site, or distributed, where on the body, and how "healthy" the patient is otherwise....and whether the glycogen reserve described by Wallis86 is "intact" at the time.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
(male)

pellius HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkeel View Post
Your question peaked my interest here at 2:30 AM on a sleepless night and I did some scouting around on the internet. I didn't find an answer. I'm not surprised, because it is not a common suicide method and there's probably not much data on it.

It seems that there are a couple of extreme cases in which as much as 1600 units were injected and the patient survived. One 51-year old male survived 1200 units when presenting comatose.

It probably depends greatly on the specifics of the injection - whether a single site, or distributed, where on the body, and how "healthy" the patient is otherwise....and whether the glycogen reserve described by Wallis86 is "intact" at the time.
I think I remember reading that. But I believe the person was treated within 6 hours. If a person is untreated for, say, 24 hours, wouldn't brain death be assured?

Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

Quote:
If a person is untreated for, say, 24 hours, wouldn't brain death be assured?
I think he/she most certainly would be, yes.

Closed Thread