It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

monkey71 HB User
husband 41 yrs diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, how many carbs

My husband is 41 and was diagnosed last week with type 2 diabetes. He had been feeling bad for over a week and was up in the bathroom alot. We did find out that he had a bladder infect too but his sugar level was at 303. He had alot of sugar in his urine. We have the meter to check it and it has been going down pretty good, but now after a few days it went up and we haven't done anything different and we are having trouble getting it to go back down. We have only been working on this since July 9 and we had it down to 194 and now its back up to 254. I don't know how many carbs he should have at his 3 meals a day and his snacks. We went and bought all whole grain breads and some southbeach cereal bars but does anyone else have ideas on how many carbs he should have a day and how many calories. Can he eat fruit? What veggies are good for him to eat? He is 6ft 6 and weighs 250. He has already lost 10-15 pounds before we found out he was diabetic b/c when he had his bladder infect he didn't have an appetite so he lost. I can't get in to see a diabetic diatician until july 28 at 3:00. That is the lates appts that they have. (what kind of hours are those for working people who have to work). Any help on calories and carbs would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by monkey71; 07-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: husband 41 yrs diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, how many carbs

carb counting is a good place to start. Take a look around and try and gather some info on eating low carb and counting carbs. Good luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-20-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: do not direct off board searches - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Until he can see the dietician, it's best to limit his refined carbs. Make sure he is getting most of his carbs from complex carbs and not white carbs (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes etc.) Everyone's carb intake is different and that determination can only be made by a professional.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
(female)

Janice76 HB User

I recently was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes also. My doc suggests 2-3 eggs or 5 oz. of cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt for breakfast, 5 oz. of lean meat and 2 cups of low glycemic vegetables (i.e. not potatoes) for lunch and dinner, and protein shakes with a piece of fruit (no bananas, which are high in sugar, though) in-between meals. Lots of small meals keep your blood sugar steady. As for starches, she allows a VERY small amount with lunch and dinner -- like 3 Melba toast crackers or OCCASIONAL brown rice or 1/2 corn tortilla. I cheat and eat a bit more than that, though, and do okay (my numbers are better than your hubbie's though, and I have never had sugar in my urine). But two slices of bread for a sandwich or mashed potatoes are likely to be too much.

Use the glycemic index of foods (how fast they turn into simple sugars after eaten). The lower the numbers the better (under 55 is best; certainly stay under 70). Fruits are not as high as you'd think -- just keep to small amounts at a time and eat with a protein. Sweet potatoes are lower glycemically than regular potatoes, surprisingly, but they may still be too high for him. Certainly if he does have some, don't add any extra sweetener! Adding a fat, like butter or sour cream, will also help carbs be digested more slowly, but you also want to watch the calories because losing weight, if overweight, will help lower blood sugar too.

I like the Boost Glucose Control chocolate drink -- good stuff! Also, exercise will make him more sensitive to insulin, and therefore lower his blood sugar. My doc said to walk for 20-30 min. twice a day! (After breakfast and dinner)

Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-20-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Closed Thread