It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

LilliTN HB User
Dreamfields pasta

I have been reading about the Dreamfields pasta and have see conflicting reports on a couple of different boards.

I bought some but have not used it yet. I read their box about the "digestible" theory. I don't really understand the logic in it. Anyone familiar want to elaborate in what they are claiming and if someone can limit/alter the amount of "digestible" carbs as they are processing foods then why aren't they attempting it in other high carb foods?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Re: Dreamfields pasta

All I can tell you is that I tried it and I saw no difference in my sugars. I now use spaghetti squash as my "pasta." That being said, I don't understand the theory either. All you can do is try it and check your sugar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Ok, I did it. I had about 1 serving (2 oz., I have a kitchen scale) of it left in the refrigerator, so I made some for dinner with very minimal sauce as well as a salad with oil and vinegar. Just checked myself about 10 mins ago, which would have been 2hrs post and I was 125. Not great as far as I'm concerned (I like it to be closer to 110-105), but not horribly bad either. When I eat the spag. squash I usually run about 118 2hr after, but I use a lot more sauce b/c it just disappears into the squash. So, I guess pretty similar results huh? 7 points isn't too much of a diff. Maybe I'll go back to eating it once in a while. Maybe next time I'll skip the sauce and use my brummel and brown and some reduced fat parm cheese and see what happens. Have you tried it yet?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
(female)

LilliTN HB User

Haven't tried it yet, no. Still staring at it when I open the kitchen cabinet trying to decide if it's friend or foe

Did you reheat some you already had or make new (the Dreamfields)? I'd read that some foods (I think it was potatoes) are better as far as glycemic if you eat them cold (like cooked potatoes become lower in potato salad). I'd wondered if that were true too and if so, cold pasta salad vs hot pasta dishes.

Those post numbers aren't so bad though.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

No, I made it. I always keep my opened pasta boxes in the refrigerator, just so I know what's coming out of which box, since my son and I eat different pastas. (I make him the whole grain) Instead of putting it in pasta jars, I wouldn't know who's was who's. Not sure about the cold vs. hot as far a glycemic load...I don't know how that could possibly make a difference. You should try the Dreamfields and see how you do. I'd make sure you get one serving though and use a very low carb sauce if you can or no sauce, b/c some sauces have a lot of sugar in them. The Gia Russa has 6g/carbs per serving and no added sugar (no chemical sweetners either, I don't like those) Do you have a kitchen scale? Let me know how you do. Are you on meds or are you diet controlled?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I ate it this week with my homemade sauce, which probably has a few more carbs than a low carb variety. I had a 129 at two hours, which is good for eating pasta. I had a couple of very small pieces of crusty French bread with it and a salad.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
(female)

LilliTN HB User

I have found a couple of low carb sauces (6 and 4 g/serving ones) that I've been keeping on hand. Can't tell the difference in the low carb and high carb ones other than it seems the lower ones are a bit runnier.

I don't mind the spaghetti squash option but would be nice if this "pasta" works. Will likely try over weekend.

I do have a digital scale. Love it I saw a nutritionist a few weeks ago. Between stress and cutting carbs I'd lost 12 pounds so I became a "lil bit" too 92 pounds, 5'3" Diet plan is a bit complicated for me but I'm trying. All the writing down, measuring portions and reading books and labels at mealtime makes each meal more stressful and I just want to skip eating all together. They want me eating 6 meals/snacks a day. Averaging 24 carbs/meal (I go high 2 hr post when I hit around 30 carbs) and a minimum of around 1500 calories/day. So far, totalling up end of the day I usually hit the calories though some days I'll be so full all day and realize I only got to 1000. I'm averaging 60-70 carbs a day total though. I feel pretty good, way less tired and dizzy than when I was eating MOSTLY carbs. Haven't gained anything in 2 weeks though. It's a bit of a vicious circle and people don't really sympathize with people trying to gain rather than lose weight. They think it's a mental thing when you can't gain. I know I still don't have the protein vs starch vs fat whatever categories balanced according to the guides they gave me. I also haven't been recording the fat g's. I'm just trying to eat lean meats/fish and fresh veggies/fruits, nuts at this point.

So I am not on meds. I was initially diagnosed "pre-diabetic" but I got my fasting back in line with exercise and cutting carbs. I monitor with glucometer randomly now and if I eat a higher carb load or feel "off". My internist thinks because my fasting is in line now I have nothing to worry about even if my 2 hour posts at 30 carbs is 150-170. (my A1C is likely going to be ok again as I am just not eating things to make me go high so he'll think I'm fine again) Guess he's waiting for me to have terrible numbers before taking it seriously... he really thinks I am a bit over-controlling on this subject. My C-peptide is at the very bottom of the normal range and the offered explanation is I may have burned out my beta cells but no offer to refer me to an endo. Personally, I'd like to save what's left you know... Thus - Be Your Own Advocate!!! (Type 2 runs in my family - father and maternal grandfather) Of course I also don't want the word "diabetic" on my charts as that will affect my insurance so I guess it's a good thing he hasn't labeled me yet

I'm going to try to find some info on where I read the part about the cold potatoes thing. I think it was in one of the bazillion books I bought

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I just did a search using "cold potatoes lower glycemic" and found the answer. The cold potatoes have more resistant starch. There are quite a few references that show up. Of course adding oil or vinegar would lower the glycemic value even more. I read recently about a resistant starch that comes from corn that could show up in processed foods soon.

I know it is hard for some people to gain weight. I was that way as a teenager and again when I was diagnosed with diabetes and lost a lot of weight. I weighed 112 at 5" 6". It was hard to gain it back, but I gained about 8# and am happy now. I usually eat about 15 gm carbs per meal plus some more as snacks. You would gain faster with more fat in your diet and it would slow digestion of starches.

I think 150-170 is too high a reading to be seeing often. I hit that very occasionly and it concerns me, though if I ate 30gm carbs, that is probably what I'd see.

Last edited by Laura789; 07-25-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

You should change your name to LilTN You are little. Smaller than me. I am 5'0" (barely) and 96 lbs. The aggravating thing about us is, diet and exercise aren't likely to make a HUGE difference or "make it go away." What did your doctor write on your referral for the nutritionist? Mine wrote "glucose intolerance" as I think he is officially trying to keep the "diabetic" label off of mine too. To me though, they are one in the same: pre-diabetic, glucose intolerant, diabetic...all means the same thing. Our pancreases are not doing working like they are supposed to therefore we have elevated sugar in our blood, unlike non-diabetics. As far as the diet plan. I saw a dietician when I was pregnant and had GD. I have kept on that same plan ever since (my son is 3 1/2) and I promise you, I will become second nature soon. It gets easier the longer you do it and eventually you won't even need to write it down anymore, you'll be able to do it in your head. I hear you on the people not understanding bit. I hear it all the time and how they'd trade places with me. I told them my diabetes would have to come with it, still interested? I'm not quite sure I agree with that not having anything to worry about with 150-170 2hr business as long as your fasting is ok. Your fasting is usually the last to go. I would never be happy with 150-170 2hr on a regular basis. EVERYONE thinks that I am over-obsessing with this too. Personally, when it comes to your health and especially having a disease that can cause so many complications and health problems, I don't think there is such a thing as 'over-obsessing or over-controlling.' Let me know how the Dreamfields does for you!

Last edited by moderator2; 08-02-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: the huge quote!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
(female)

LilliTN HB User

I finally got up the courage to eat this. I was really terrified of putting 40-something carbs in me from one little serving even if it does "say" only 5 of that 40 are "digestible." (Just seemed to me if this patented process of manufacturing were legit we'd be seeing it in more than pasta and someone would be making a mint, ya know?)

Anyway, I'd taken a bike ride earlier. Nothing more than I do every other day and I barely broke a sweat, then about an hour after I started on a glass of red wine (barely had a couple of sips while I was cooking). Took a reading and I was 67 which is lower for me but maybe the wine had kicked in (I'd normally be in the high 80s after a ride like this and not eating yet after).

I did the exact 1/2 cup of the pasta. I did exactly 1/2 cup of a vodka sauce (only 5 g in this sauce from Whole Foods). Some parmesan cheese. Small mixed greens salad with 1/2 avocado and 2T blue cheese dressing. 2 slices of turkey bacon. Finished the glass of wine with dinner. Carb-wise, everything but the pasta in question would have been no more than 10-15 carbs so depending on the Dreamfields reaction I could have been a total of maybe 20 carbs (based on their "digestible" 5 g theory) or around 55 if that theory failed.

Historically, over 30 carbs I'll see my 2 hour around 150 and since I started monitoring I just haven't loaded on much more than that (terrified to). 2 hours/15 mins after my reading was 84!!! I laid around most of that 2 hrs just watching tv and barely moving.

Remember I am considered PRE and I've been doing a good job controlling with diet and exercise but see a spike if I eat many carbs in one sitting. So this Dreamfields may be a good option at least for me (especially if I drink a glass of wine with it). I'll give it another try and see if I get the same results a second time.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

YYEEEEHHHH!!!! I'm so happy for you! You got a better reading than I did and I ate the exact same thing as you, minus the wine. I bet you had butterflies in your stomach waiting for your meter to beep. At least I do
What would your reading be if it were regular pasta? By the way, you can get vodka and tomato and basil pasta sauces in the regular grocery store that has 6g/serving. It's made by Gia Russa. It's awesome. Those are the only two that are that low in carbs. It's definitely been a nice change for me since eating a ton of spaghetti squash. I think as diabetes becomes more rampant, and it is getting there everyday, that we will see this kind of thing happening with more foods. I hope at least.

Closed Thread