It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
(female)

greeneyes1 HB User
can someone tell me what this means?

My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 15 years ago, and until last week, has only been taking oral meds. His doctor has finally put him on insulin because the pills just weren't working anymore. He also had labs done and his urine was found to have protien in it. This is also a first. He has been given medication for this, but it is pretty much freaking me out. Can anyone tell me what this means and how serious it is? Thank you for any responses.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

Jenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB User
Re: can someone tell me what this means?

Hi,
Don't freak out, I know a lot of people think of getting on insulin as being the last resort. Actually I've heard that insulin is a lot better on your organs than oral medications. My friend is on it and loves it a lot better than being on oral meds and she says her blood sugar levels have never been better. Take care and don't worry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I'm assuming it's the protein in the urine that's freaking you out?

What it means depends on how much. Most diabetics will develop a condition called microalbuminuria after many years of the disease, even if it's very well controlled. Microalbuminuria is one of the first signs of kidney damage, but it doesn't necessarily mean one's kidneys are about to fail. It just means they're not filtering protein quite perfectly anymore...and it can be very minor. It is a warning to make sure he keeps his numbers down, and it means he probably should be on an ACE inhibitor to further protect his kidneys, but we could still be talking decades before there's anything to be overly concerned about.

On the other hand, if it's m ore than micro...he could be in the early stages of kidney failure. Here again, the best way to prevent further damage is to keep the blood glucose under tight control and take ACE inhibitors.

As for progressing to insulin, most (although not all) T2's will eventually need insulin, especially if they develop T2 early in life and have it for many years. Also, those of us who developed it before the insulin-sensitizing oral medications were on the market, thus causing us to have to take sulfonyureas, will need to go on insulin sooner than people who develop T2 today, because the sulfonyureas put great stress on the pancreas to produce more insulin, thus wearing out the beta cells faster. At this point he'll have a lot to learn about managing insulin, but the closer to normal he can keep his numbers, the better it'll be for his kidneys and, indeed, ALL his organs.

What insulin regimen did they give him? If you two have any questions about it, or about counting carbs, or anything, feel free to ask.

Ruth

Old 07-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #4
(female)

greeneyes1 HB User

Thanks so much for the replies. I've read the info that came with my husband's new medication for the protien in the urine, and it IS an ACE inhibitor. Also, I am guessing that it isn't a lot of protien because he was told to take his new medication and come back in January for his regular 6 month check up. If it were bad, they would have requested that he come in sooner. I'm not sure about the mgs. of insulin he takes, but he is only on one shot a day, and is still on one of his oral meds...either glucophage or glucotrol. The other was discontinued. Thanks again, friends, for the replies. You guys have eased my mind tremendously.

Closed Thread