It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Paging Uma Anne...

Hi there!
How are you doing? I wanted to check with you and see how you are doing on the Met? Have you started seeing your numbers come down? You mentioned that you were hungry all the time since you started taking it. Has that stopped? I am still very much battling going on it. I get my next A1c in Sept and if it's higher than the last (5.6) then I am going to ask it to be prescribed. I've watched my A1C yo-yo for the past 3 years. It's gone from (in order) 5.7 to 5.3 to 5.2 to 5.6. At one point, about 3 mos after my baby was born in 2005 it was 6.1. That was the highest yet. I just can't lower my carbs anymore and I am hungry all the time! Please give me an update. You and I are so very similar in our diabetes issues and I just want to see how it's working for you. Hope you are well.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Re: Paging Uma Anne...

Hi LilbitÖgood to hear from you and thanks for checking in! I started on generic metformin back in the middle of June. I then met with my dr. who decided he wanted to increase my dosage from 500 to 1000 and at that point I switched over to a brand name of metformin called Glumetza. As far as side effects go Iíve responded better to this version of the meds. However, to be quite honest with you, I havenít seen a dramatic change in my numbers. Generally, I still have high fasting bgís that range between 100 and 110 and sometimes higher but it hasnít hit 120 ever. I have had more instances of it being in the 90s but thatís about as low as Iíve gone. My post prandials are generally the same. Iím guessing that if the numbers donít go down the dr. will increase my dosage.

Incidentally, prior to my dr. appointment I had called their offices to ask a question and got connected to a different doctor on call Ė an older gentleman at the practice. When I explained my situation to him (gave him my numbers e.g. A1C, fastings, values on my previous 3 hour OGTT) he said he didnít really think it was necessary for me to be on meds, though he ceded that the dr. Iíve been seeing probably has his reasons. Interesting to hear a different point of view though.

I mentioned in one of my earlier updates that my hubby has just been diagnosed with Type II also. We compare our numbers all the time and itís interesting to see how we differ. Generally, his fastings (early morning or before a meal) are always lower than mine, like in the 80s or 90s. I never get into the 80s unless Iíve exercised. But his postprandials are much higher. Generally between 140 and 150 with normal, healthy meals, while I generally range anywhere between 105 and 125. Very strange.

Your A1Cís with the exception of your post-baby one all sound normal. If I were you I would just test my blood sugars regularly, fasting and postprandial, to see how youíre doing. If your fastings and postprandials are normal than Iíd probably hold off on the medsÖbut I suppose your doctor would know best. My doctorís argument is that he wants to keep my A1C normal and preserve my pancreasís function so I never go on insulin. So thatís why he wants me on meds.

He did mention that if I try for another pregnancy Iíll probably spend the first trimester on metformin and then switch over to insulin. This is scary to me but it is what it is I guess and Iím not planning on trying anytime soon anyway.

I look forward to hearing an update from you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
Hi LilbitÖgood to hear from you and thanks for checking in! I started on generic metformin back in the middle of June. I then met with my dr. who decided he wanted to increase my dosage from 500 to 1000 and at that point I switched over to a brand name of metformin called Glumetza. As far as side effects go Iíve responded better to this version of the meds. However, to be quite honest with you, I havenít seen a dramatic change in my numbers. Generally, I still have high fasting bgís that range between 100 and 110 and sometimes higher but it hasnít hit 120 ever. I have had more instances of it being in the 90s but thatís about as low as Iíve gone. My post prandials are generally the same. Iím guessing that if the numbers donít go down the dr. will increase my dosage.

Incidentally, prior to my dr. appointment I had called their offices to ask a question and got connected to a different doctor on call Ė an older gentleman at the practice. When I explained my situation to him (gave him my numbers e.g. A1C, fastings, values on my previous 3 hour OGTT) he said he didnít really think it was necessary for me to be on meds, though he ceded that the dr. Iíve been seeing probably has his reasons. Interesting to hear a different point of view though.

I mentioned in one of my earlier updates that my hubby has just been diagnosed with Type II also. We compare our numbers all the time and itís interesting to see how we differ. Generally, his fastings (early morning or before a meal) are always lower than mine, like in the 80s or 90s. I never get into the 80s unless Iíve exercised. But his postprandials are much higher. Generally between 140 and 150 with normal, healthy meals, while I generally range anywhere between 105 and 125. Very strange.

Your A1Cís with the exception of your post-baby one all sound normal. If I were you I would just test my blood sugars regularly, fasting and postprandial, to see how youíre doing. If your fastings and postprandials are normal than Iíd probably hold off on the medsÖbut I suppose your doctor would know best. My doctorís argument is that he wants to keep my A1C normal and preserve my pancreasís function so I never go on insulin. So thatís why he wants me on meds.

He did mention that if I try for another pregnancy Iíll probably spend the first trimester on metformin and then switch over to insulin. This is scary to me but it is what it is I guess and Iím not planning on trying anytime soon anyway.

I look forward to hearing an update from you!
Hi Uma Anne!
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I am sorry to hear that you aren't getting very good results with your dosage. I do have to say that I am confused as to why you are on meds and that I keep being told that I am not a candiate for meds. Not that I want to be, but I don't want to be on insulin later in life either. Although that may be inevitable for both of us due to our ages. My doctor told me the last time I saw him, with my A1C being 5.6% that he would NOT treat that with meds. My fastings are around 87-90. But he isn't an endo. I know your doctor says he wants to "keep your A1C normal" but wasn't it normal already with what you were doing via diet? Did you see your A1C start going up? My problem is, I keep lowering my carbs, yet my a1c was higher than the last time and I am hungry A LOT of the time. Sometimes after I eat, I won't actually feel like I've eaten something for over an hour. I don't know if that is insulin resistance or not? My sister seems to think that I am not eating enough. Incidentally, I keep losing weight and I am now down to 96 pounds. I have a referral to see a dietician at Joslin and I really need to make that appointment. They are good, but what concerns me is that they're carb intake allowance seems kind of high to me (45g/meal 30g/snack) On my own, I've been doing 30g/meal and 15g/snack and I am starving. I am afraid to increase my already high protein intake for fear of frying my kidneys. Joslin dieticians also recommend that same 45g/carb as being ANY carb...including white carbs (you know the rices, pastas, potatoes etc.) which I never eat, ever. I am just confused as to what to do at this point and how to fix my hunger/weight loss problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am also very sorry to hear about your husband. Isn't it amazing how two t2 diabetics can eat the exact same thing, yet have totally different numbers??? Someone once posted on this board that there is nothing "normal" about diabetes, because anything can happen. Or something to that effect.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit1973 View Post
I don't want to be on insulin later in life either. Although that may be inevitable for both of us due to our ages.
they will have found a cure by then
Keep the faith.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itotito View Post
they will have found a cure by then
Keep the faith.
I appreciate your optimism ito...but I dunno....they've been talking about a cure since the 50's. But I do hope you're right.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
I appreciate your optimism ito...but I dunno....they've been talking about a cure since the 50's. But I do hope you're right.
But seriously, how many calories are you getting a day ? 96lbs...that's tiny.
Did you try increasing your good fats instead of proteins, things like nuts ?
Did you try super high fibre foods like lentils ?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Sorry you're having problems feeling full and losing so much weight. Here are some specific ideas for what you can eat that's higher in calories and hopefully filling and won't spike your sugars:

Breakfast:
-Omelet on pumperknickle
-Spelt crackers with hummus (you'd find spelt crackers at natural food stores)
-steel cut oats with berries (see how the berries affect you - they don't affect my sugars)
-Sometimes for breakfast I also eat yogurt with chives, salt, pepper, and some ground flax mixed in. I know this sounds odd but I got sick of plain yogurt and wanted to add some flavor. The ground flax fills you up pretty quickly. Since you're having weight loss issues stick with full fat plain yogurt
-You can also make a fruit smoothie with full fat milk, berries and flax.

Snack: Any sort of nuts. I love cashews and they are higher in calories than most nuts I think so that might be a good option for you

Lunch:
Not sure that I have great suggestions here. I generally eat salad with fish or chicken but you may not find that terribly filling. I suppose some higher calorie more filling options for you might include "cream of" soups (e.g. cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or cream of broccoli or broccoli and cheddar) to accompany a salad.

Snack:
Organic peanut butter on celery or spelt bread or pumperknickel if it doesn't affect you badly (pb is high in calories and makes me feel pretty full...sometimes I even blend pb, bananas, milk and flax into a smoothie and it's very filling)

Dinner:
A variety of things - I like lentils; black bean soup; I've tried making mac and cheese with Dreamfield pasta and I was fine (with a fair portion I was at 106 at 1 hour and 112 at 2 hours); stew with lamb/beef vegetables; roasted veggies and fish...am blanking here but I'll let you know if I think of more ideas...but I'm hoping some of these ideas might help you get more calories and feel more full. I find that foods with good fats and high in fiber make me feel pretty full.

When I was pregnant my dietician was also yelling at me b/c I lost a few pounds since I started cutting carbs out of desperation to stay off meds (seemed like everything was spiking my sugars back then) and she was concerned I could be spilling ketones that were harmful for the baby.

My husband is also always saying he thinks there will be some big breakthrough to cure Type II...

Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
I suppose some higher calorie more filling options for you might include "cream of" soups (e.g. cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or cream of broccoli or broccoli and cheddar) to accompany a salad.
be careful with the 'cream of' soups. Some manufacturers put flour in to make it thicker and they are heavy on the carbs. I had one a few weeks ago, got a higher than expected rise, so researched a bit. If you have access to the label you'll be ok, but I ate it at a restaurant.

Last edited by itotito; 07-23-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 AM   #9
(female)

uma_anne HB User

That's a good point Itotito...I generally cook this stuff from scratch so I forget about the instant products out there that have added sweetners or flour. Also, I always stay away from any type of soups in restaraunts since I've also found that they spike my sugars. A lot of soups in restaraunts have added sugar too...it's surprising.

Lilbit, the other thing that occurred to me is that there a lot of diabetes cookbooks out there that you may want to check out as well.

Last edited by uma_anne; 07-23-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Thank you both! Let's see...I calculate my diet on the daily plate site and it says that I eat roughly 1400 cals a day, which I don't really think is enough. I think to maintain where I am, I should be eating 1800. It's not coming off fast or anything. I am losing approximately 10 pounds a year. When I came home from the hospital after having my son in Jan of 2005, I weighed 129. Here we are exactly 3 1/2 yrs later and I am 96. I should mention though that I am BARELY 5 feet tall and that I am very muscular and I don't look sickly skinny or anything. I wouldn't say that I am "trying" although I do power walk with him (in a wagon that I pull, and he weighs 32 pounds) about 2 miles 4-5 times a week. I just don't know how to increase the amount of cals without increasing the carbs or protein. According to that site, I am already eating too much protein as it is. I thought nuts were also high in protein. No? I have tried lentils. Sometimes I do get full on what I eat, but it NEVER stays for more than 2-3 hrs TOPS. Sometimes not more than an hour and I'm hungry again, but Know I can't eat b/c my sugar hasn't come down enough yet. Sometimes when I eat a snack, it will make my hunger WORSE! Like today, I tried snacking on cashews between breakfast and lunch and I was STARVING after. The only bread I do eat is pumpernickle. It's the only bread I've found that won't spike and crash me. Berries do not spike me (blue and straw) I eat them every morning (about a 1/4 cup or so) with an egg (beater), 1/3 c oatmeal, a kashi waffle and 2 pieces of morning star farms bacon. I know that may seem like a lot and that is when I eat the most amount of carbs in the day and my sugar is usually 98 2hr after breakfast. It's the lunch (especially) and the dinner where it gets higher. Where do you get ground flax at? For lunch, funny you should say that....I usually most days eat a salad from the awesome restaurant across the street from my work that consists of spring mix, cucs, toms, strawberries, walnuts and gorgonzola cheese and I use greek dressing which is olive oil and vinegar based, along with a "cream of" soup that is lower in carbs. I know, I read the labels very carefully and won't eat any that are more than 8g/serving. I won't feel like I've eaten it for about an hour. About 3 hrs later I will eat some pb crackers or some thin triscuits (15g) and dinner is 2hrs after that (30g) consisting of some kind of meat (chicken, fish, pork, beef) and usually a small sweet potatoe (I peel the skin off) and a fresh or frozen veggie (salad, spinach, broccoli)...then we walk. I'll get bad heartburn if I eat too late, so if I'm really hungry before bed, I will drink a glass of silk unsweetened soy milk (4g/serving). Doesn't it seem like I eat enough???? I don't get it.
Uma Anne, I am sitting here shaking my head wondering why on earth you are a diabetic and on medication??!! 112 2hrs after pasta?????!!!!!! You are very lucky. Even Dreamfields resulted in 144 2hrs after eating it. Maybe I'll try it again and see what it does. So, for me, I make spaghetti squash (10g/cup) and Gia Russa spag. sauce (6g/serving) and I am around 118 2h after. I make my son the whole grain. He won't touch the squash.
Can you give me some "side" ideas like the sweet potato and lentils and cauliflower mashed, because I am eating myself sick to death of those!
Like the ones that have good fats and high fiber. This weight loss has got to stop at some point. I've been told that I'm "wasting away." My son needs his mommy. I have to do something. Thanks you guys! You're the best!!!!
Big hugs!
Lilbit

Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

When I go for long runs and need to make sure I have a healthy load of calories, I eat
Peanut butter. high in fat, low in carbs
Dark Chocolate, same
Beer (after the run)

Sorry they are so simplistic...I am a guy after all.

by the way, too little calories can be a source of elevated cortisol levels which will raise glucose levels

Old 07-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Funny...because, when I was eating 45g/meal as instructed by Joslin, my A1C's were LOWER! ie: 5.2 as opposed to 5.6 now. But, I was starving at 45g too...I just don't know....I didn't know peanut butter was low in carbs. I know it's high in protein but I thought with it being sweet that it would spike one's bs. I think I definietly need to make that appt with Joslin. In fact, I think I will call them now.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Funny...because, when I was eating 45g/meal as instructed by Joslin, my A1C's were LOWER! ie: 5.2 as opposed to 5.6 now. But, I was starving at 45g too...I just don't know....I didn't know peanut butter was low in carbs. I know it's high in protein but I thought with it being sweet that it would spike one's bs. I think I definietly need to make that appt with Joslin. In fact, I think I will call them now.
Peanut butter is high in fat. Here in the great white north, Kraft is pretty popular. I table spoon is 3g of carbs, 3 of protein and 8g of fat for 90 calories.

In general, each gram of carb gives 4 calories, each of protein 4, and each of fat 8. 3x4+3x4+8x8=88 which is close to the 90 the label says. You can see why anything with a high fat is high calorie. Some people would envy you. Go nuts, eat the good fats. If you want others, let me know, the later revisions of Atkins books suggest other good fats (not dripping bacon.....)

I find it doesn't cause my glucose to rise much, but keeps them up slightly for a longer period of time. Which is perfect when doing sports.

Are you doing a lot of sports ? 1400 calories if you are doing sports is really low. If you are muscular it's really low.

Again, if you are getting too few calories or too little hydration, your body reacts by releasing cortisol which increases glucose levels.

Go buy a tablet or dark chocolate, spread a 1/4 inch of peanut butter and go nuts (not a good idea for those of us trying to control our weight :-) )

Last edited by itotito; 07-23-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itotito View Post
Peanut butter is high in fat. Here in the great white north, Kraft is pretty popular. I table spoon is 3g of carbs, 3 of protein and 8g of fat for 90 calories.

In general, each gram of carb gives 4 calories, each of protein 4, and each of fat 8. 3x4+3x4+8x8=88 which is close to the 90 the label says. You can see why anything with a high fat is high calorie. Some people would envy you. Go nuts, eat the good fats. If you want others, let me know, the later revisions of Atkins books suggest other good fats (not dripping bacon.....)

I find it doesn't cause my glucose to rise much, but keeps them up slightly for a longer period of time. Which is perfect when doing sports.

Are you doing a lot of sports ? 1400 calories if you are doing sports is really low. If you are muscular it's really low.

Again, if you are getting too few calories or too little hydration, your body reacts by releasing cortisol which increases glucose levels.

Go buy a tablet or dark chocolate, spread a 1/4 inch of peanut butter and go nuts (not a good idea for those of us trying to control our weight :-) )
I've never heard of Kraft PB. In the States, Jif is popular and that's what I use. It has 7g carbs/2 tbsp, 16g/fat and 190 cals. and 7g protein. I think it's pretty equivalent to yours. I'm definintely not getting too little hydration. I drink roughly 5-6 bottle of water (16.9 oz.) a day. I've also heard the "envious" comment before, but believe me Ito, it's NO FUN starving all the time. And there doesn't seem to be an end to the weight loss and it's getting scary. If it keeps going on the same path it's going, I will be in the mid 80's in one years time. I don't do much in the way of sports. I have always been very muscular in the legs and the arms. I do power walk, as I said, 2 miles a night pulling a wagon (not sure about the weight of it) and a 32 pound child and I walk very fast. I have a very active job on most days. I'm in child protection, so a lot of it is being out in the field, which requires a lot of walking/moving around. On top of all of that, I am a single mom of a three and a half year old and I could honestly not tell you the last time I sat down through an entire meal without getting up at LEAST 5 times! I called Joslin today, but received a voicemail and left a message. Maybe they will call me back tomorrow. Oh, I don't eat real bacon anyway, I eat the morning star farms veggie bacon and I cook it in Brummel and Brown yogurt spread. I'll just keep trying as I have been for 3 1/2 yrs to combat this thing, but it will be interesting to see if Joslin has any suggestions that will help. I sure hope so. Thanks for all the help

Closed Thread