It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
(female)

olliedoll HB User
Unhappy The doc just called - what does this mean?

Hey guys. I'm new to this board. I'm 26 female. The doc just called to give me results of tests and said that I have high levels of insulin and high cholesterol. I have also gained around 40 pounds over the last year and a half most of it being around my middle. I stay tired 24/7 and I sleep a lot. Does this mean I'm diabetic? Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Ollie

Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Re: The doc just called - what does this mean?

Do you know the numbers? And was your insulin level checked or your glucose or both?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

olliedoll HB User

I"m not sure. I know that I went in complaining of severe fatigue and weight gain for the past year. She said she was going to do every test she could to see what was going on and then the nurse called this morning and told me I had a high insulin level and my cholesterol level is 235. I've looked on the net and it seems like I might have Insulin resistance? I just want to know what I should do. Would it be a good idea to monitor my blood sugar with a monitor?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Having high levels of insulin in your body IS insulin resistance. It means that your pancreas needs to release much more insulin to keep your blood sugar in range. It's usually a sign of type 2 diabetes, but without knowing your blood sugar values, its impossible to say whether you are diabetic yet.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
(female)

olliedoll HB User

What is the treatment for Insulin Resistance? Will I have to do on medication?

Old 07-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Its hard to say for sure if you will be put on medication. Only a doctor can really make that decision. It's possible you may be able to manage with diet for now, but you may need medication. Definitely speak to you doctor. Sorry i can't be more help, I have more experience with T1 diabetes.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliedoll View Post
What is the treatment for Insulin Resistance? Will I have to do on medication?
I finally figured out that I was Insulin Resistant back in December, 2004, mostly through reading posts on this Diabetes Board. My major health problems/symptoms that I thought could indicate Insulin Resistance were:
  • high blood pressure, surging at night
  • Difficulty breathing after eating a high carb meal, especially at night.
  • Heart Rhythm problems after eating a high carb meal.
  • high triglycerides

At that time, I also had high cholesterol, but my infrequent blood sugar tests, at the doctors office twice a year, seemed usually pretty good, although, at some times, were quite high. The "mostly" reasonable blood sugar levels at the doctor's office threw me off, and made me think that I did not have a "sugar problem", plus, I guess, I was in a state of denial. I suffer from heart failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation and AutoImmune problems. I didn't want another health problem like Diabetes.

I took no medicine for it, nor did I get any diagnosis of Insulin Resistance from a doctor. I went on a diet which targeted Insulin Resistance. I started a thread here on HBs, in January 2005, documenting my diet, under High Blood Pressure, named: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? If you care to read it it is at: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url]

The diet was very successful, and not only helped to bring my blood pressure down to very healthy levels, but also helped to significantly improve my health, despite the fact that I am almost 70 and suffering from Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation and AutoImmune problems. My cholesterol and triglycerides are also down at very healthy levels without the use of medication.

I frequently monitor my blood sugar and have learned that my Fasting Blood Sugar and Two Hour Postprandial levels go above the normal range if I abuse my current low Glycemic Index/ Low Glycemic Load diet.

So..... for me, if I want to avoid Diabetes II, and all of the health problems that come with it, then I must continue on a restricted, healthy diet.

Dieting effectively is very difficult. It effects your lifestyle and your relationship with your family. It demands a lot of changes and a lot of time. You might find out that a combination of a better diet, plus taking medication is best for you.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-27-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Great news for you that you were diagnoised......now you can learn what to do to keep healthy.......

I was diagnoised with Insulin resistance about 1 year ago.......I have had it a very very long time. I have been dieting, exercising and on Janumet now for several months........I take Janumet twice a day.......

I am losing weight especially around my stomach
I am not tired all the time or after I eat. No more middle of the day uge to nap.
My mental outlook is better.
I found I can eat more "normal" without gaining weight but try to follow a low glycemic index diet.
My cholesterol and triglycerides are normal for the first time in 20 years....
My blood pressure is lower.
I also have thyroid problems that can add to these problems.....such as raise your cholesterol.......so I am being managed for that.....

My fasting insulin was always normal but my 2 hour insulin was sky high....I was also tested along with my blood sugars which at this time are normal..

You can manage this.........good luck...

Oleander

Closed Thread