It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

Liz1965 HB User
Odd reaction to carbohydrates

I've recently been diagnosed with T2 diabetes. My question pertains to the way I feel after eating carbohydrates. Even when I eat so that my blood sugar is relatively stable I feel strange after eating carbohydrates (very different than when I stick to only protein/fat). I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if it could have something to do with my insulin levels. IN particular, after eating carbs I feel spacey and emotionally volatile. Again, this happens even when my blood glucose (per my meter reads) stays within the desired range.

My case is a bit odd (or maybe not so?) in that my fasting glucose is always normal, but my postprandial numbers are quite high (around 300) and stay elevated for quite some time (5-6 hours). My fasting insulin is virtually non-existant, but once my glucose is elevated I over secrete insulin and, as a result, often suffer from reactive hypoglycemia.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that something odd is happening even in those instances when my glucose levels read as relatively normal.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User
Re: Odd reaction to carbohydrates

I am a Type I diabetic but I've experienced what you describe after eating simple carbs (pasta and potatoes in particular) so I try to limit them and stick fruits and veggies and rice which doesn't seem to trigger this response-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread