It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
(male)

3wilds HB User
low blood sugars after eating and can't stay awake sometimes, anyone experience this?

Ive lost 20 lbs in the last 2 years, had night seizures in the past, and since last november I can't stay awake sometimes after eating. I started checking my blood sugars at home and found it drops into the 70s for the first 1/2 hour then goes up but thats when I stay awake. When I can't stay awake its like I took 10 sleeping pills, I can't move and have a hard time getting up like my blood pressure is way down or something. Ive also experienced itching, runny nose when eating, and urinating many times a day and I have to get up 2-3 times each night to go also. The other main problem I have most of the time is the chronic fatigue I have every day. I don't know if I can work without having problems because when I eat I get this look like I've been up for days and don't feel well, I can't hide it but I have to eat. The docs think I'm a head case because most of the blood work comes out normal with the exception of a high ferritin count recently and a fatty tumor they found on my liver but liver function tests come out normal. I think its a pancreatic tumor or some kind of tumor that puts out excess insulin. Reactive hypoglycemia takes a few hours to kick in and isn't immediate like I have. Last night I had a few beers and then had a need to eat sweets, something else I''ve been going through alot lately (without drinking, this usally makes things worse so I don't very much anymore). After eating some M&Ms I thought to check my blood sugar and it was 75. I have a glucose tolerance test scheduled for tommorrow so I hope they can find something because I can't live like this and it seems to be slowly getting worse. I also have a bruise like pain just under my right center rib area and thats been there for a long time too, I'm not sure if thats in the area of the pancreas or not but anyway any body that can share a common experience or advice I'd surely appreciate it because I've been to so many docs and ers they think I'm a hypocondriac but I know theres something really wrong here. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: low blood sugars after eating and can't stay awake sometimes, anyone experience t

As far as the insulinoma goes (insulin producing tumor), your BG is much higher than it would be with an insulinoma most likely. I was tested for this, and the cut off is 45. That means your FASTING BG is under 45 constantly. It doesn't sound like you have major reactive hypoglycemia with BG of 75 after a large amount of carbs. You may have some, but its hard to tell since BG readings are "snapshots". I have LADA, which is slow onset T1 diabetes. Right now, it presents mostly as SEVERE reactive and fasting hypoglycemia. I mean that I am 50 or less every half hour to an hour, regardless of what I eat, carbs or no carbs. Then I intermittently have days where I am 200-300 for hours before going low again.

When I'm low, I feel slight nausea or some confusion. When I'm REALLY low, I feel like I'm uncontrollably falling asleep, REALLY confused, I can't talk, I don't know what I'm doing. When I'm 30, I can't see.

I think the GTT is a good move to see if you are having blood sugar problems. I don't think you should give up trying to find out what is causing your symptoms, blood sugar related or not. Chronic fatigue is never fun to deal with.
Good luck tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
(female)

redmug HB User
Re: low blood sugars after eating and can't stay awake sometimes, anyone experience t

hi 3wild

are you still active here? I am facing your same problem! have you solved your problem since 2008? plz need your advice>?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
(male)

vbishnoi HB User

Hi Redmug,

I came here to find a solution too given all my symptoms match that of '3wilds'. Please let me know if you have found a solution to your situation.

Reply Reply