It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

Lala9 HB User
Help! Weird symptoms and don't know what to make of them?

Hi there,
I'm new to the website and a bit confused, but looking for some guidance or support. I realize I may be considering the completely wrong avenue, but thought I would check into it none-the-less.

A little background... I am 20 years old, a female, average weight or a little under, and have been not "feeling like myself" for quite some time now. I've done every GI test you can imagine, with everything showing up negative I decided to give up and try to regain normalcy in my life.

And while my symptoms really never left, as of lately they have come back and are associated with others. This is where it leads to all of you... I was wondering if anyone would have any advice or guidance as to if they have similar symptoms or if anyone would feel my symptoms could be somewhat consistent with diabetes and if I should get that checked out. In terms of family history... my grandfather was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at the age of 40, (He is of average weight).

About a year ago I starting having stomach cramping and discomfort... but that was really all. I started seeing a doctor after more symptoms became present and still are...

-The stomach cramping is more of a constant ache (and I know that typically is not associated with diabetes as far as I can find)

-When I have my little "spells" as I like to call them, I become very dizzy, confused, clumbsy, sweaty, blurred vision, and just a feeling of almost being outside of myself.

-At times I have felt internal shaking or trembling for a brief period.

-I'll get back pain and numbness in my feet a lot.

-I am not extremely thirsty, but do drink and urinate rather often. My problem with thirst is more of this... when I do drink I can't seem to be able to quench my thirst so I drink, drink, drink, with not much relief.

-At times I feel an increased need for food, and find myself eating rather a lot.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Help! Weird symptoms and don't know what to make of them?

It's possible your symptoms could be diabetes related, but the symptoms of diabetes overlap so much with so many other possible conditions it is impossible to say. The only way to be sure would be for you to either monitor you BG at home (check first thing in the morning before eating, and 2 hours after you START eating each meal), or to schedule a Glucose Tolerance Test. THe GTT will show how well your body handles glucose; whether you have insulin resistance, reactive hypoglycemia, etc. Given your family history of T2, it might be a good idea. However, given your age and weight, you may want to request to have antibody tests run also to rule out T1 diabetes.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

Lala9 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply.

Couple of things.
I forgot to mention in my initial post that I also have constant fatigue. And have for about the past year or so, although it seems to be getting worse. I can sleep 8 hours, 10 hours at night it just doesn't matter, I am just lethargic. I don't have the energy I used to, and I am a an active person that really slows me down.

Also, as far as you mentioning T1, I know I may sound completely uneducated here on the topic but can you get still be diagnosed with T1 at age 20, I thought it was more likely a situation of a younger child? And as far as T2 goes, usually doesn't that kick in later on in your life?

I am hesitant to schedule a GTT just due to the mere fact that I am so sick of test after test with no results. Immature and naive I know but I have had every GI test in the book, and to call my doctor to schedule yet another... I fear he may feel I am a hypochondric of some sort. Like I said I know that sounds naive, but let me assure you I am by no means looking for a 'disorder'. I am very tough... (ex. I broke my wrist and waited a week to go to the doctor). I just know my body, and I know that something is not right.

I was thinking of perhaps checking my BG the next time I visit my grandfather, as he has the device and I don't.

Any other advice would be appreciated, again sorry if most post sounds ignorant, just so sick of the constant discomfort and no answers.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Its actually a very common misconception that T1s are all diagnosed as kids. Over half of the new cases each year are adults-- that's why they've stopped calling T1 juvenile diabetes. As far as T2, that can also be diagnosed at a younger age than most people believe. It's all matter of genetics and/or lifestyle, depending on each individual case. The GTT isn't so bad, and is such an easy way to rule out the possibility of diabetes. I'd go for it if I were you.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladymagnolia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala9 View Post
Thanks so much for the reply.

Couple of things.
I forgot to mention in my initial post that I also have constant fatigue. And have for about the past year or so, although it seems to be getting worse. I can sleep 8 hours, 10 hours at night it just doesn't matter, I am just lethargic. I don't have the energy I used to, and I am a an active person that really slows me down.

Also, as far as you mentioning T1, I know I may sound completely uneducated here on the topic but can you get still be diagnosed with T1 at age 20, I thought it was more likely a situation of a younger child? And as far as T2 goes, usually doesn't that kick in later on in your life?

I am hesitant to schedule a GTT just due to the mere fact that I am so sick of test after test with no results. Immature and naive I know but I have had every GI test in the book, and to call my doctor to schedule yet another... I fear he may feel I am a hypochondric of some sort. Like I said I know that sounds naive, but let me assure you I am by no means looking for a 'disorder'. I am very tough... (ex. I broke my wrist and waited a week to go to the doctor). I just know my body, and I know that something is not right.

I was thinking of perhaps checking my BG the next time I visit my grandfather, as he has the device and I don't.

Any other advice would be appreciated, again sorry if most post sounds ignorant, just so sick of the constant discomfort and no answers.
Good Morning ‹,

There is an inexpensive sugar machine called Reli On ultima. The machine is under $10.00. The strips are $21.00 for 50 strips. The lancets *needles* are a few dollars for 100 in the box.

I use this one, as we have no medical insurance. So for us this is affordable. Usually the only place that carries Reli On is wal-mart.

This way you can check your sugar on a daily base and show your Dr. the numbers-by taking your machine along to your appoitment.

Make sure you check your sugar every morning before you eat or drink anything. Eat breakfast and wait 2 hours and check your sugar. Do this with every meal. Before and 2 hours after.

If you would like-post your daily sugar here.

Just don't wait to long too see your Dr. But having something that will show him it's not in your head, will make you feel more confident when talking to him about diabetes.

Wishing you all the best!

HUGS~Donna

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
(female)

Lala9 HB User

Wallis and Lady Magnolia,
I am so grateful for both of your responses. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You both have shared with me a great deal of insight.

Wallis- You are right that is a very common misconception about the times of diagnosing T1 and T2 diabetes. I was unaware that T1 could be diagnosed later on in life... however, I have read that the symptoms of T1 are very severe, such as insane thirst and bathroom use. The difficult part is definition of 'insane'. I have been dealing with this for so long, it is starting to feel as though it is more norm than unusual for me. I mean what is 'insane' in terms of drinking and using the bathroom. Bathroom use twice an hour? I wish they were more specific with the symptoms listed, that is what makes it so difficult. I know that T1 hits a person quicker as say T2 being more gradual, but just hot "quickly" are we talking. Would you be so sick with T1 undiagnosed that you couldn't function properly after only a cpl of weeks? Again I sound so naive, it's just I'm a bit confused.

Lady Magnolia-
Your advice was also very much appreciated. The kit you described from Wal-Mart sounds like a great idea, however, would you recommend having the GTT done beforehand? Or taking my readings first and then having the GTT done?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
(male)

Englander HB User

Quote:
Wallis and Lady Magnolia,
I am so grateful for both of your responses. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You both have shared with me a great deal of insight.

Wallis- You are right that is a very common misconception about the times of diagnosing T1 and T2 diabetes. I was unaware that T1 could be diagnosed later on in life... however, I have read that the symptoms of T1 are very severe, such as insane thirst and bathroom use. The difficult part is definition of 'insane'. I have been dealing with this for so long, it is starting to feel as though it is more norm than unusual for me. I mean what is 'insane' in terms of drinking and using the bathroom. Bathroom use twice an hour? I wish they were more specific with the symptoms listed, that is what makes it so difficult. I know that T1 hits a person quicker as say T2 being more gradual, but just hot "quickly" are we talking. Would you be so sick with T1 undiagnosed that you couldn't function properly after only a cpl of weeks? Again I sound so naive, it's just I'm a bit confused.

Lady Magnolia-
Your advice was also very much appreciated. The kit you described from Wal-Mart sounds like a great idea, however, would you recommend having the GTT done beforehand? Or taking my readings first and then having the GTT done?

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Hello Lala9 I was diagnosed with T1 at the age of 41.......and as for your question about "insane thirst" in the weeks leading up to being diagnosed I could go into a shop and buy a 2 litre bottle of water and feel the need to drink it ALL as soon as I stepped out the shop on to the street.....that was in wintertime in England temp about 8c something you just wouldn't normally do.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
(female)

Lala9 HB User

Hi there Englander-
Thanks so much for your input. Your own personal story really confirmed what it was that Wallis had said on how T1 diabetes really can be diagnosed out of childhood years. Although personal... I have a few questions for you. Please feel free not to answer if you would not like. I am just trying to compare and get some information. Before being diagnosed... what were your symptoms life, from the largest to the most minor if you can recall? Also, what did you do to get diagnosed?

Thanks so much!
And hope all is well for you!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
(male)

Englander HB User

Quote:
Hi there Englander-
Thanks so much for your input. Your own personal story really confirmed what it was that Wallis had said on how T1 diabetes really can be diagnosed out of childhood years. Although personal... I have a few questions for you. Please feel free not to answer if you would not like. I am just trying to compare and get some information. Before being diagnosed... what were your symptoms life, from the largest to the most minor if you can recall? Also, what did you do to get diagnosed?

Thanks so much!
And hope all is well for you!
No problem Lala.....my symptons were all classic T1 symptons extreme thirst rapid weight loss and I couldn't keep out of the bathroom as you call it.

Because of my age the Doctors first thought that I was T2 but on referal to a specilist Diabetic Hospital after several blood test including a GAD antibody test I was confirmed as being T1.

Hope that helps you.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

One thing I wanted to mention...if you get the meter, make sure that when you are testing your 2hr after meal sugars, that you are testing two hours after the START of your meal (your first bite). There is a lot of misconception where people sometimes think it's when you finish.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

P.S. As far as when to start testing...ASAP would be best. You had mentioned that you felt a little unformfortable going to your doctor, which is why I think the meter was suggested. So, I would start there, test yourself for a week, fasting and 2hr post meals, post them here and we'll tell you how they look then, if they seem abnormal, then you can take your readings in to your doc and he will most likely order a GTT

Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

Lala9 HB User

Lilbit- You have some really nice advice there. Thank you so much for your help and advice. I was going to actually go get a meter and start testing, and yesterday after looking up the defn. of "extreme" thirst and urination, I no longer am sure I fit. I read that if you have diabetes and are not diagnosed you can't stop drinking constantly and are urinating every 15-20 minutes. I feel I am drinking and urinating more than often, but certainly not that much. As a result, I dont know if I should just give it more time and see if it gets worse?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I would not base it on the standard definition of "extreme." If your body does not feel right, then it's trying to tell you something. Another thing about this diabetes is that it is a progressive disease, and the longer it goes undiagnosed the worse the symptoms get. I know people who have been diagnosed with Type 2 that never even had the thirst or urination combo symptom at all! Everyone is different. I truly encourage you to try the meter and see how you are doing. The longer you go on with elevated and untreated sugars, the more irreversible damage is being done. Please keep us posted.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
(female)

Lala9 HB User

Lilbit, you are really a kind soul. thank you. i will keep you posted

Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
(female)

lovemy2girls HB User

lala9,
Hi I have type II and never had a symptom whatsoever. I was not thirsty all the time did not urinate that frequently or anything. My gyn found mine. I was having trouble with my period and went for over 3 months straight non stop my gyn did some blood test and found mine it wasn't the cause of my problem but I probably still would not know if it had not been for him. Some people have no symptoms at all while others do.

Closed Thread