It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Unhappy drs never heard of GD like this

so i found out i have gestational diabetes. i was put on a strict meal plan and have to check my sugar 4 times a day. 2 hrs after eating im supposed to be under 120. ive been higher then that after 2 hrs and then between the 2 hr and 2.5 hr mark i drop all of a sudden. but then today i found that after i dropped i went back up but i didnt eat anything. how is this possible? i thought you had to eat to go back up.

my readings were
3:10- 157
3:40- 107
4:00- 127
4:40- 109

the dietician said that its really weird that it drops so suddenly like that. i have to go to the endocrinologist on thursday to see what to do about it but the dietician doesnt think i should be put on insulin because i drop suddenly and they are thinking the insulin may make me drop to fast.

has anyone had anything like this? i feel like crap all the time. im always dizzy and i can feel my heart pumping the blood in my head. so far my blood pressure has been good at every appt so i dont think thats what its from. any input would really help me out. i dont know what to do.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: drs never heard of GD like this

Firstly, no....you do not have to eat to go up. Because your liver produces glucose whether you eat or not. There are many people who have higher readings in the morning after sleeping all night with nothing but a sip or two of water than they did right before bedtime.

Sickness, especially infections, cause people with diabetes to have very high sugars even though their drug intake and food intake is well regulated.

Secondly, let me have some fun......

my readings were I say it's
3:10- 157 149 and your reading was 5% high
3:40- 107 117 and your reading was 10% low
4:00- 127 114 and your reading was 10% high
4:40- 109 109

What I've done here is to create a hypothetical scenario in which I allow the measurement accuracy of your meter and your sampling procedure of +/- 10% (which is pretty observable with the equipment and my procedure) -
your readings of 107 and 127 might very well, with typical finger-stick meters, have been taken on the same finger of the same blood drop 30 seconds apart.

Allowing for measurement inaccuracy, your curve might not be "double humped" at all..... and your last three readings are really just asymptotic to your baseline.

What you see in your data presentation is a major peak which happened at about 1:30 after you ate which was likely around 175-200 ug/dL and you are a little slower than your med folks would like you to be about dissipating the sugar. That's diabetes.....or, maybe a bit too much carb in your meal. You can probably choose carbs which are whole-grains and things that output slower to meet your goals. But it's sure important to keep a good balanced diet. It's quite a game, this diabetes.... keeps you on your toes....

Your two hour reading, is, no doubt, higher than you want. But I wouldn't be worried about the "double hump" - you are probably not eating a "test meal" either.... the fat content of what you eat can make the sugar output extend in time, also.... fatty foods output their sugar more slowly than simple carbs or proteins. So a "double hump" could actually be caused by the side dish of fettucine carbonara while the "first hump" was the bread that you ate without butter..... If you ate the bread WITH a lot of butter and the fatty pasta, you would have a single higher hump at 3 hours after you ate.

Hope this helps. I defer to others on the G aspects.... I'm the wrong gender to know about this one - congratulations and my very, very best wishes for a happy and healthy both of you.

Last edited by tfkeel; 07-28-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Hi there. I was also diagnosed with GD around the same time last year. I'm not sure I can speak to the specific symptoms you're describing but there are a few things I wanted to point out.

First, do make sure you see an endocrinologist in addition to a dietician. My OB's handled my GD on their own and never advised me to see an endocrinologist. I think this was a big mistake. By the end of my pregnancy I was actually losing weight since I started restricting my food intake b/c my numbers were high allthe time. I think a good endocrinologist is better than an OB or a dietician at monitoring your condition.

Second, I personally found that taking shorts walks after a meal helped in keeping my numbers in check. It also helped me feel better overall. Swimming is also great for GD and for pregnancy overall if you have a pool near you.

Third, do make sure you take a three hour glucose tolerance test after your pregnancy to ascertain that you do not have Type II Diabetes. When I returned to my OB for my post delivery check up, he practically laughed at me for asking for a recommendation for an endocrinologist. He almost insisted that the diabetes would have gone away. Guess what? He was wrong. I saw an endocrinolgist who found I had Type II. It's very important also to get a three our glucose tolerance test NOT just a fasting glucose.

Finally, just wanted to say I remember how pregnancy in general made me feel crappy! Take good care of yourself!! Take care!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

im goin to the endo on thrusday. i was told to take short walks too but it has been between 105-110 degrees here for over a week. i cant walk out in that heat, ill pass out. i was tested for diabetes like a couple weeks before i got pregnant. i had been sick for a while and they thought maybe that was why but it turned out to be mono so i know i didnt have it to start with.

Closed Thread