It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ladymagnolia HB User
Question about carbs

Good Morning to all ,

How many carbs per day should I have? I stay on 1,500 calories a day, sometimes less. But I have no clue about carbs. So any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Wishing everyone here a terrific day!

HUGS~Donna

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Question about carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymagnolia View Post
Good Morning to all ,

How many carbs per day should I have? I stay on 1,500 calories a day, sometimes less. But I have no clue about carbs. So any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Wishing everyone here a terrific day!

HUGS~Donna

First let's start with a NON diabetic. My sources are mostly from sites that promote a lot of excercise, like running sites or muscle building sites. I did look at the USDA guidelines who's suggestion are 45 to 65% of carbs.

Some sources say a non diabetic would probably want something like 30% of his calories from protein, 40% from carbs and 30% from fats.

The right amount will depend on you....continue reading....

At 1500 calories a day, 40% would mean 600 calories from carbs, which means about 150g of carbs per day.

150g sounds like a lot for a diabetic and it is. So the trick is to find the right balance. Too much protein is bad, too much bad fat is bad.....

If you are saving your pancreas by going low low carb, but you are exposing yourself to stuff like protein overload of the kidneys or cancer due to a lack of nutrients in things like veggies, then that's stupid (IMHO)

The advantage the T1s have (if you want to call it an advantage) is they can eat more carbs and compensate through use of insulin. I have to use excercise and spreading the carbs out during the day. The day I will not eat a balanced diet, I will ask my doc for insulin.

If you were to go 100g a day, that's 400 calories from carbs, which would be 26% which is low but still seems reasonable. Supplements and vitamins would play an important role if you go this low.

But everyone is different and the right amount depends on your type of diabetes, your weight, your excercise level, your cholesterol, BP......

I would say, start at around 100-125ish per day, IF and ONLY IF you can do this while keeping your glucose levels reasonable. Go high fiber, go low GI and use excercise. If you can go higher, go for it.

I would speak to your doc, your dietician and build your own opinion. You want to get the right balance to keep your levels under control, but getting the right level of vitamins....

Last edited by itotito; 07-29-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

The "book" recommendations:

About 45% to 65% of your caloric intake should come from carbohydrates, with less than 25% from fats. That leaves about 10-25% for proteins.

Proteins and Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram
Fats have 9 calories per gram.

So, on your 1500 calorie diet, you need between 675 and 975 calories from carbs.

If you use "exchanges" -

1 "serving" of carbs is 15 grams....60 calories. So you need between 11 and 16 "servings" of carbs per day.

For me, with advanced T2, this amount of carbs is difficult for me to maintain my sugars with. I find I have to eat more protein and less carbs. Maybe on the order of 10 servings or less per day.

Itotito posted at the same time as me, and gave you good advice and experience.

Good day to you, too !!!

Last edited by tfkeel; 07-29-2008 at 07:02 AM.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ladymagnolia HB User

Thank you both for such great insight and advice. Right now I am just trying too be a sponge and get all the good info from others who have diabetes.

Donna

Closed Thread