It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
A weird one

This has never happened to me before.

I had a pretty high carb lunch : spaghetti and some canneloni. I finished at around 1PM. I didn't check my levels before or after.

When I got home at 5PM, I checked and I was 140. Normally I would be at 90 at 5PM.

So I ate a 16oz steak, salad, yogourt and dark chocolate. Ya, I know, I pigged out.

One hour later : my level is at 104.

So I dropped from 140 to 104, 1 hour after eating this huge meal. But I probably stayed a good part of the afternoon at a high level

It's almost like the dinner caused an insulin kick-in that wasn't there previously. Very bizarre.

This has never happened before. I am really perplexed what could have happened.

Any theories ?

Last edited by itotito; 07-30-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
(female)

beanstock HB User
Re: A weird one

It sounds like your lunch had a pretty high fat content. Fat slows the absorption of carbs, causing your blood sugar to peak much, much later than it normally would post-prandially. I'm a Type 1 and use an insulin pump, which allows me to accomodate for high fat meals. When I have a meal like your lunch was, I'd look to peak about 4 1/2 to 5 hours later. Sounds like you did

Also, I don't know what kind of yogurt you ate, but your dinner, while large, still sounds relatively low in carbs. Depending on how much fat was in it, you might still go up later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: A weird one

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstock View Post
It sounds like your lunch had a pretty high fat content. Fat slows the absorption of carbs, causing your blood sugar to peak much, much later than it normally would post-prandially. I'm a Type 1 and use an insulin pump, which allows me to accomodate for high fat meals. When I have a meal like your lunch was, I'd look to peak about 4 1/2 to 5 hours later. Sounds like you did

Also, I don't know what kind of yogurt you ate, but your dinner, while large, still sounds relatively low in carbs. Depending on how much fat was in it, you might still go up later.
I considered fat factor at first but then discounted it thinking there couldn't be that much fat, but then again, there is no way to know the exact ingredients a restaurant uses.

Yes my dinner was low carb. Given I was starting the meal with a high level I went easy on the carbs.

At first I thought my dinner actually caused my glucose to go down, but I'll just assume it was timing/coincidence and blame it on the long period of time for my system to absorb the lunch carbs.

Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread