It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

mjjenner HB User
are these hypoglycemic symptoms?

Hi
I had major foot surgery eight weeks ago. My foot is doing well. I wasn't able to bear any weight for 6 weeks and am now in PT trying to learn to regain strength and be able to weightbear. I was on crutches for 8 weeks and can now ambulate with one or no crutch. I'm feeling good about gaining strength back and seem to be healing well.

I lost maybe 10 pounds in the last 3-4 months. I was thin to begin with but am now underweight (5'5" 120 pounds). I can't seem to eat enough - don't really feel hungry. In the last two weeks, I have had 4 episodes of what may be hypoglycemia. Very quickly, I start to feel a bit of confusion, clumsiness, headache, clammy, fatigue. So much that I don't feel able to even walk from one place to another alone. The first time, I tried to go across the room using my crutches and fell. The next two times, I realized what was happening and drank some juice or ate some food and felt better. After this, I am extremely tired and just want to sleep. I end up taking a nap but am exhausted. These episodes are combined with trying to go to work 3-4 hours a day, having 2-1/2 hours of PT three times a week, and probably doing too much around the house. I am utterly exhausted. Am I being unrealistic in thinking I can accomplish so much so soon?

As for the hypoglycemia, I did see a doctor two days ago and ordered some blood tests and suggested a brain MRI. The MRI, I think, is overkill. The symptoms improve with food. I had the glucose tolerance test yesterday a.m. I drank the sugary liquid, felt good, but by the end of the third hour, I was crashing. I had my blood drawn and barely made it back to the office (one building away) and devoured my steak sandwich. That seemed to help with the episode but I had a bad headache and fatigue and went home. I rested and ate a snack before going to PT. I got home from PT and took a nap. It took all I had to get up when my husband got home so we could eat (I was starving). I went to bed at 8 p.m. I felt hungry at 3 a.m. so I got up and had some peanut butter and an english muffin with some juice. I took today off because I am just so dang tired. Does anyone know anything about these symptoms? Are they related to sugar? I am awaiting the results today or tomorrow.

I don't know if I am expecting too much of myself right now. Any ideas and comments would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Re: are these hypoglycemic symptoms?

Yes, they definitely sound like hypoglycemia. More specifically reactive hypoglycemia. I don't know if it is related to diabetes or not, the blood test will show that. Best advice is, you need to eat at least every three hours. Small meals and snacks. Make sure you are implementing some protein with your snacks and try to stay away from sugar (soda too), and too many carbs without adding protein. At least until your test comes back and you have a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Closed Thread