It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Januvia

I've been resistant to taking drugs. Trying to lower sugar on my own but it's not working. I was prescribed Januvia and I'm really afraid of meds as I am so med sensitive. Can someone tell me their side effects. Though I know everyone is different, when hearing about side effects there is usually a common symptom that users have. So let's hear about them, please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

nymi06 HB User
Re: Januvia

My endo had me on it last summer (i was on it for a short time only because of it's sky-high price) I had no serious side effects, but i did have some headaches and slight nosebleeds, but nothing serious. It is suppose to help lower high blood sugar, what i found amazing is that you can take it on an empty stomach (unlike the sulfonylureas like Glyburide where you have to take with food). I am considering asking to be put back on it again on my next visit next month, i actually want to go off the Glyburide because i believe it is contributing to my weight gain (i'm on a small dose so maybe it's not)
Overall i would say i was happy with the results from the Januvia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I'd do some research if I were you. My doctor suggested Januvia, but when I looked into it, I found that it works by increasing insulin production, which I was afraid may wear out the beta cells sooner. I would prefer to take metformin, which works by lowering insulin resistance in the cells. Right now I am doing fine with diet and exercise, so no need for drugs.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Hi Thanks for responses. What would be good numbers after dinner. I am honestly trying to do this without drugs but my numbers are sketchy. Last night I was 156 two hours after dinner. How bad is that?

Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

You should be at 140 or less after 2 hours. I aim for under 120 and am often nearer 100. What did you eat to get 156? How many carbs do you include in meals and what kind? Are you getting exercise?

Closed Thread