It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
question about possible diabetes

i have gestational diabetes so i check my blood sugar regularly. yesterday just for the hell of it my dad had me check his sugar. he has never been diabetes tested before. well his sugar came back at 330. does this mean that he probably has diabetes and just doesnt know it? hes stubborn and doesnt really care about his own health so i dont know if he will ever go get tested but i think he should. hes only 39 so it would be better for him to get it under control now. his father has diabetes and got it in his 30's and a lot of other family has it so hes at high risk for it.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: question about possible diabetes

330 is quite a high reading for a nondiabetic unless he just ate half a chocolate cake or something an hour ago.

Even if the sugar load was pretty high, a non-diabetic has sugars in the low 100s two hours after eating.

With his family history, that's "strike 2". If he is obese that's likely strike 3.

He SHOULD get a glucose-tolerance test and check himself out. It is quite common for people to find out they have diabetes when they enter the hospital with angina or a heart-attack, having never known it. It has no symptoms until the awful ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: question about possible diabetes

yeah he is obese but he doesnt eat a lot so im thinking thats why. he never eats sweets either. i thought that number sounded very high for a nondiabetic cuz i have taken my moms sugar right after she ate ice cream and chocolate and a whole bunch of other sweets and hers was 102 so she doesnt have diabetes even in the slightest. i bet if he went and got the test and learned to regulate his sugars he would lose a ton of weight. my grandma was overweight and once she started taking actose she dropped 60 pounds. he has a check up coming up soon and my moms trying to talk him into having the tests done but who knows if he will actually get it.

Last edited by sg1112; 08-02-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Closed Thread