It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
How Bad Is This?

Without caving into meds I am able to get my number to roughly 160 two hours after dinner. This morning on fasting test I was 152. Is this bad? Am I doing damage to my body with numbers such as this? Will my heart be affected? Worried!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User
Re: How Bad Is This?

If you have tried a low carb diet and exercise and your numbers are staying that high, then yes, I would go on medication if I were you. Metformin would be the best choice to start since it reduces insulin resistance in the cells.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

The two best medications for diabetes related diseases are exercise and a healthy diet, with emphasis on foods with a low Glycemic Index and a low Glycemic Load.

Diabetes is a nasty disease, which can cause blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, and nerve damage. When your blood sugar is not under control, and your insulin is not being processed effectively, all hell breaks loose in your body, which can result in breathing problems, heart palpitations, heart racing, heart thumping, high blood pressure, vision problems, fatigue, oversweating, emotional swings, foot and hand pain, etc.

I have Heart Failure. I also suffer from persistent Atrial Fibrillation, which means that my heart NEVER wants to beat correctly. Each disease by itself has high rates of morbidity and mortality, but the rate of death goes much higher when you have both Heart Failure AND persistent Atrial Fibrillation. So...... I've got one foot in the grave already, so to speak. I am also close to age 70.

I really suffered with my diseases. I blamed most of my symptoms and problems on the Heart Failure and the Atrial Fibrillation and was in total denial about Diabetes and Insulin Resistance. I was on up to nine medications for many years. Now I only take .125mg Digoxin and 3.125mg Coreg for my Atrial Fibrillation; and 2.5mg Warfarin to protect against stroke.

That said, in December of 2004, I finally woke up and went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance. I documented my experiences, and mistakes, with the diet at: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url] entitled: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?

That said, I have been able to greatly improve my Heart Failure, Atrial Fibrillation and Insulin Resistance/Diabetes problems mainly through diet, exercise and avoiding bad health triggers. My Cholesterol, Triglyceride and Blood Sugar levels are also at very healthy levels, without the use of medication. However, I still have to watch my carbs or my blood sugar will go up too high.

The following are my blood pressure averages for 1998 through 2008. The annual improvements to my blood pressure and my overall health can be plainly seen, starting in 2004, when I first started a better diet.
  • 1998 ... 152/97, number of readings= 1016
  • 1999 ... 146/92, number of readings= 3599
  • 2000 ... 145/92, number of readings= 3322
  • 2001 ... 146/92, number of readings= 2375
  • 2002 ... 150/96, number of readings= 1423
  • 2003 ... 151/96, number of readings= 1032
  • 2004 ... 146/90, number of readings= 2065
  • 2005 ... 139/86, number of readings= 2526
  • 2006 ... 136/79, number of readings= 3269
  • 2007 ... 126/74, number of readings= 2720
  • 2008 ... 121/72, number of readings= 1791

Blood Pressure for June and July, 2008 was: 116/71 based on 278 blood pressure readings.

Whereas previously I had significant breathing problems, fatigue, chest pain, heart palpitations, Migraine Auras etc., currently per day I am doing 300 lifts with two ten pound weights, 400 steps with my stepper, for each leg, and 50 pushups.

If good diet and appropriate exercise can help an oldster like me, who had almost two feet in the grave, then imagine what a good diet and appropriate exercise can do for someone else, much younger than me, with less serious health problems.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-03-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, thanks for your very informative posting. I'm not a kid myself. I've reached 61 and amn starting to get out of denial about MY diabetes. Hopefully you're on the right track and you'll be around for many more years. YOu seem to know what you are doing. As I said, I'm trying the no meds way too and if I keep on track my numbers can stay at about 135. Can I ask you something please. At what numbers do you think the glucose in our bodies causes all the problems you mention. Would that be at 150 or at 300 or what. I can't seem to find that information anywhere. Keep up the good work. Yo are a role model for us all.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

The reason why you can't find an exact number that is the limit for causing complications is that it varies from person to person. The "gold standard" for good BG control is keeping your average BG at 150 or below, that would be an A1c of less than 7. That being said, this is a target to strive to be BETTER than. The lower your a1c, the fewer complications you will have. So don't stop trying once your a1c is 7, an a1c of 5.7 or 6 is so much better.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis86 View Post
The "gold standard" for good BG control is keeping your average BG at 150 or below
There is a good article out there that discusses glucose toxicity and how high glucose levels are toxic for pancreas beta cells. In other words, high glucose levels not only hurt eyes, kidneys etc, it kills off pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin that help control glucose levels.

They say that if you keep your blood sugar under the damage-limit of 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) at all times, you may be able to keep glucotoxicity from damaging remaining cells

Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looly View Post
Hi, thanks for your very informative posting. I'm not a kid myself. I've reached 61 ...
It seems like the older we get, the faster the years pass by. I can remember when my wife and I first started out on our journey together, over four decades ago, with all of our dreams and challenges, and POOF, here we are, senior citizens, our youth behind us.

Quote:
... and am starting to get out of denial about MY diabetes. Hopefully you're on the right track and you'll be around for many more years. You seem to know what you are doing.
It wasn't easy. When I first started taking my blood pressure at home, in 1998, I had no idea that I had high blood pressure. Since then, it's taken 25,000 blood pressure readings, and tons of research, in order for me to survive all of my health challenges.

One would think that, someone like me, who spent so much time on blood pressure numbers, would not have totally ignored high blood sugar readings at the doctors office. I looked back at my blood sugar readings in the early 90's. They were at least 160, but I ignored them. My cholesterol was high, my triglycerides were over 400, but I ignored the readings. I had no idea of the insidiously harmful damage to my health from having unhealthy levels of blood sugar, insulin, cholesterol and triglycerides. It's not just the threat of clogged arteries.

Quote:
As I said, I'm trying the no meds way too and if I keep on track my numbers can stay at about 135. Can I ask you something please. At what numbers do you think the glucose in our bodies causes all the problems you mention. Would that be at 150 or at 300 or what. I can't seem to find that information anywhere.
You want to keep your fasting glucose level under 100 (at least 8 hours after eating, or first thing in the morning), and you want to keep your 2 hour postprandial (2 hours after the start of a meal), under 120.

If you want, you can check your 1 hour postprandial (1 hour after start of a meal), to see if it is less than 140, since 1 hour is supposed to be the peak of blood glucose, but that reading can vary quite a bit, drive someone nuts, and uses up expensive blood glucose strips.

However....... there is another insidiously nasty blood sugar problem which is not really possible to measure at home. It is the high level of Insulin that your body has to pump in order to keep up with the high level of carbs in an unhealthy diet. If we consume too many calories from the wrong types of carbs, and are not able to burn off the calories through exercise, our bodies have to pump more Insulin in order to keep up with the bad diet, causing an imbalance in our systems called "Insulin Resistance", which causes numerous health problems, not quite as bad as full blown Diabetes, but still a serious health problem.

What do you think about the Glycemic Index? It ranks carbs by how fast the carbs raise blood glucose levels. A diet with carbs low on the Glycemic Index, allows our bodies to absorb the nutrients without suffering from unhealthy levels of Insulin and sugar.

I love my diet. I used to eat eight small meals per day. I now eat FIVE very large meals per day, which includes only carbs low on the Glycemic Index. It takes me 45mins to an hour, to eat. So...... I can gorge my gluttonous self and still have a healthy delicious diet. I can't believe that low glycemic foods can be that tasty!

Quote:
Keep up the good work. Yo are a role model for us all.
Thanks for the compliment.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-04-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know what you mean about the years going by all to quickly. I was just a kid. Now I too have approached senior citizen status, plus my baby is getting married. Where did the time go? I like you, ignored all the numbers. High cholesterol and LDL, elevated glucose (diabetes not insulin resistance) in former years has lead me to my 60's totally worried I'm doomed because I never took numbers seriously. I always thought nothing could harm me.....but obviously that thinking is idiotic. So now I'm putting my nose to the grindstone, so to speak, and trying to reduce all the elevations. i like your way of thinking.........5 small meals a day........ Don't know if that will work for me but exercising, watching what I eat and trying, yeah trying hard to keep the stress levels down, may help me in reaching 70. Man, where did the years go?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

[QUOTE=Machaon;3675505]
I love my diet. I used to eat eight small meals per day. I now eat FIVE very large meals per day, which includes only carbs low on the Glycemic Index. It takes me 45mins to an hour, to eat. So...... I can gorge my gluttonous self and still have a healthy delicious diet. I can't believe that low glycemic foods can be that tasty!

Hi Machaon,
I too only eat foods low on the Glycemic scale, however, I have run across conflicting scales and would like as long of a list as possible about foods low on the gi scale that one could in addition to meat and veggies (such as lentils) that will not raise the blood sugar. I am eating myself sick of the same old things! Even though sweet potatoes are moderate, my meal the other night of turkey , broccoli and a small sweet pot. with brummel & brown spread had me at 95 two hrs after. I'd just like some more variations.
Thanks!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... I love my diet. I used to eat eight small meals per day. I now eat FIVE very large meals per day, which includes only carbs low on the Glycemic Index. It takes me 45mins to an hour, to eat. So...... I can gorge my gluttonous self and still have a healthy delicious diet. I can't believe that low glycemic foods can be that tasty! ...
WRONG......!

Oh well. Back to the small meal, frequent feeding, low Glycemic Index diet. I thought that, eating large meals of low Glycemic Index foods, would not have a major effect on my blood sugar and my health. WRONG!

I started having breathing problems, feeling warmer than normal, feeling weak, swelling in the lower ankles and feet, tingling in my feet, and my one hour postprandial, two hour postprandial and fasting blood sugar levels were all getting too high. My blood pressure stayed at very healthy levels which made me think that the larger portions weren't going to be much of a problem. WRONG!

I'm going to go to a three small meal/ three small snack diet, or eating six times per day, all with either high fiber foods or foods low on the glycemic index.

I started eating smaller meals yesterday and today. My weight is down a couple of pounds, my ankles and feet are no longer swollen, and I feel much better. Fighting against Heart Failure, Permanent Atrial Fibrillation, Diabetes, Insulin Resistance and AutoImmune problems is not an easy thing to do. But...... One must do what one must do.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-15-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... I'm going to go to a three small meal/ three small snack diet, or eating six times per day, all with either high fiber foods or foods low on the glycemic index.

I started eating smaller meals yesterday and today. My weight is down a couple of pounds, my ankles and feet are no longer swollen, and I feel much better. Fighting against Heart Failure, Permanent Atrial Fibrillation, Diabetes, Insulin Resistance and AutoImmune problems is not an easy thing to do. But...... One must do what one must do.
I'm actually on eight small meals per day, four regular low glycemic, high fiber meals, and four snack, low glycemic, high fiber meals. I have twice the energy, feel great, and my blood sugar levels have dropped down to very healthy levels, at both one hour postprandial, two hours postprandial and eight hours postprandial. It's been an interesting five days, with my blood sugar readings getting progressively healthier each day. I can't believe how much better I feel, now that my blood sugar is under better control.

Considering the fact that, for over 20 years, I've battled heart failure, persistent Atrial Fibrillation, valve disease, autoimmune system problems and Diabetes and am almost 70, I think that I am doing exceptionally well, thanks to a healthy diet.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 08-19-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Closed Thread