It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

blueeyez_10 HB User
My teenage son's sugar level is been low

First off, let me mention that I've had hypoglyemia for years and I have it under control mostly now. I do my best to eat balanced meals and I'm doing well.

My oldest son is 14 years old and has been tired & having dizzy with seeing black spot, and shaky. I tested him in the morning a couple times and his sugar level has been in the 60 ranges ever time. I tested him an hour after a meal and it was 155 which seems normal. I'm thinking of taking him to see his doctor about this but I know from experience not all doctor's think this is serious. Plus his doctor can be very hardheaded.

I was even thinking that my blood meter maybe off since it is old.

Any advice or thoughts??? Please I really worried but I don't want to be one of those mom's that freak at eveything.

thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: My teenage son's sugar level is been low

Are the times you are checking him when he feels symptomatic? The numbers in the 60s... are these fasting BG results? If so, they might be normal if he doesn't feel low. As for the postprandial readings, try checking him about 2 hours after the start of the meal. If he is low and FEELING it, he may have reactive hypoglycemia. If you are truly concerned, ask a doctor for a glucose tolerance test. If nothing else, you can try him on the same diet that has worked for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

blueeyez_10 HB User

The low 60's are fasting BG in the early morning before he eats or drinks. He is just totally looking drained and the dizzy spells are worrying me with school getting ready to start. I will bring him to see his doctor tomorrow if the storm doesn't hit us to hard. I was never able to finish a a glucose tolerance test.(I passed out) I've already changed some of his eating habits. I'm going more balanced with more veggies & protein and less carbs.

It's always nice to have someone else's opinion. Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Yes I could no longer see at hour 3 on my test. I was 32, so they forced me to stop the test. I hit 314 and dropped to 32 in an hour. I have hourly lows, down to the 40s with intermittent highs. My problems are most likely due to mitochondrial disease attacking both my pancreas AND liver. It gives me reactive hypo, insulin resistance, some random highs from lack of insulin production, and fasting lows from glycogen storage problems in my liver. Basically I'm a whole conglomeration of screwed-up organs! I know hypo far better than my many T1 friends. I might develop T1 with insulin resistance, but its hard to say when that will happen. The problem is that I cannot diet control my lows, AND with glycogen problems, glucagon is sometimes useless for me, which is a scary thing.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

blueeyez_10 HB User

Went to the doctor's yesterday. The doctor didn't know too much about it except that it did sound like hypoglycemia. My son had to take a few blood test at the hospital and we're just waiting for the results.

My son had a bad episode last night. He ate at 5:10 p.m. and I tested at 7:10 P.M. and his glucose was at 50. He was really feeling bad with dizziness, seeing spots, heart was beating fast, and headache. I gave him some cashews peanuts as a quick snack.

He's been good ever since. Going through this with him brings back so many memories of when I first started having trouble with my sugar levels.

Just wanted to keep you updated

Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Did the cashews help? I ask because they have almost NO carbohydrate in them. That leads me to believe that he must stabilize quickly on his own. If you find him stabilizing on his own, don't give him lots of carbs, because it will cause another hypo event due to reactive hypo. I don't really stabilize quickly and continue to drop dangerously low, so I have 15g of carbs, usually juice to treat lows quickly. If necessary, treat with 15g of carbs, NO MORE, and some protein, and check again in 15 minutes to see if he's gone up. If he hasn't gone up at all, treat with 15g more carb. You want to avoid carb loading though otherwise its a vicious cycle. Hope you figure something out with the tests

Closed Thread