It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

braveheartlion HB User
what is most important 4 me to know, bf has typeII diabetes

Hi, my bf just recently told me that he has type 2 diabetes. I've been trying to get educated about diabetes, but the amount of info out there is daunting. From those who know, what is the most important information for me to understand about diabetes? And what is the best way for me to be supportive of him?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: what is most important 4 me to know, bf has typeII diabetes

I believe the most important thing to know, for you, as his supporter, is that he CAN SUCCESSFULLY manage his diabetes, adding years to his life, and life to his years. It is a disease which has no cure, however, sufferers have the benefit of a lot of really good science which has been done on it and there is a wide variety of treatment options which he and his doctor may choose from.

He CAN SUCCESSFULLY avoid and delay the severe complications of diabetes if he will adhere to good eating habits, sufficient exercise, and professionally-managed medications. Many of these medicines are available in generic form and there are several manufacturers so the cost can be kept reasonable, too. Many times, in the beginning years, sufferers can manage their diabetes with diet and exercise alone if they choose this method and practice good adherence to their "program".

Having diabetes actually has an advantage over having many other progressive diseases one can think of. The effectiveness of the treatment regimen is easily and inexpensively measurable with simple means the sufferer can use himself and with slight aid of a laboratory-performed measurement about every 3 months, the sufferer can modify his diet and exercise and medication intake with confidence and, with some practice and experience, adjust himself to adequate control.

Stick around this board.... there are some folks on here who know this subject very well and have had long experience managing their own disease. This board can help you to not only gain information, but can offer you some predigestion of these facts and reduce the "daunting" for you.

Feel free to ask. These folks like to help.

Last edited by tfkeel; 08-11-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

braveheartlion HB User

Thanks babes, yeah I'm already learning a lot just from hanging around here.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
(female)

daisycolors65 HB User

The best you can do for your boyfriend is to teach him. Each and every food affects blood sugar differently. A friend of mine introduced me to a book, "The pH Miracle for Diabetes". Our lives have since been changed. It is extremely important to understand what different foods do in the body and to the body. Based on my research I believe the SAD (Standard American Diet) diet is terrible for diabetes.
High blood sugars can cause organ damage. Therefore, blood sugar levels must be monitored and controlled. I believe the best way you can support him is to educate yourself and teach him how to become an "alkavorian". Eat and drink alkaline. There is a ton of information out there, just keep reading.

Last edited by daisycolors65; 08-21-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisycolors65 View Post
The best you can do for your boyfriend is to teach him. Each and every food affects blood sugar differently. A friend of mine introduced me to a book, "The pH Miracle for Diabetes". Our lives have since been changed. It is extremely important to understand what different foods do in the body and to the body. Based on my research I believe the SAD (Standard American Diet) diet is terrible for diabetes.
High blood sugars can cause organ damage. Therefore, blood sugar levels must be monitored and controlled. I believe the best way you can support him is to educate yourself and teach him how to become an "alkavorian". Eat and drink alkaline. There is a ton of information out there, just keep reading.
Hi Daisy,

I hate to contradict you but something recently happened in my life and it comes back when I read your comments.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer while it was still in stage 1. Another acquaitance convinced her that she could beat it with non conventional treatments. 2 years later she was buried.

I believe there is value in some alternative medicines. But I think people need to be careful

I have seen many people being devastated by news they are diabetic or have another serious condition.

When this happens they try to find hope where they can. When they hear of 'miracle cures', they find hope in them and most often, they go for them and things become worst. It's easier to hear that eating A+B+C will cure your diabetes than "you are going to have to lose 60 pounds, excercise daily and inject insulin for the rest of your life". When my friend had the choice of 'herbs' or 'radiation', she chose the herbs. Bad choice.

When people are first diagnosed, they are vulnerable and scared. I have tried to read about this "alkavorian" theory and there is little medical evidence that is does any good. I am really happy it has worked for you, but please be careful how you dispense this info. I am sure you are trying to help, but sometimes this could be more hurtful than helpful.

Sorry, I am sensitive to the topic of alternative medicine. I believe it should always be promoted in conjunction with conventional medicine and under doctor supervision, not on it's own.

Last edited by itotito; 08-22-2008 at 05:24 AM.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
(female)

daisycolors65 HB User

itotito,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend that must have been hard. It sounds as though she believed herbs could heal her.

I recently read an article where a major hospital here in the states is putting the cancer patients on an alkaline diet. The name of that hospital is Johns Hopkins. They have recognized the importance of the internal alkaline enviroment.

Based on what I have learned through research, cancer has to have an acidic enviroment to live it cannot live in an alkaline enviroment. Most people drink acidic water, eat acidic food, and have acidic lifestyles. The ph of our blood is 7.365. It must stay within an extremely narrow range and to do so it will take anything from anywhere in the body to maintain the proper ph. If we are only putting acid in where does the alkalinity come from to keep the blood maintained? We have to put in alkaline to change our bodies on a cellular level.

Education is key to understanding. There are "articles of health" (a wealth of information) and youtube's. There are type 1's that have come off of insulin and maintained normal blood sugars. I am not saying it is easy, but it takes true commitment.

I have other friends whose children are type 1 and follow the same program with the same results. What could we possible do better for our children than to keep them from suffering all the ill effects from diabetes. I am passionate for others to know there is another way. It is revolutionary.

Closed Thread