It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

moona74 HB User
diabetes itching

Is there a way to prevent/reduce diabetes itching of feet?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
(male)

dick11 HB User
Re: diabetes itching

Yes, there are things that can be done. Without more details, it sounds like you may be starting with diabetic neuropathy(dn). Contact your doctor, as your doctor should either be able to answer your questions or set you up with a doctor that can-endrocrinologist.
As I see, you are quite new to this board. Keep asking questions and you should be able to get great ideas/answers. Look in the dn areas for more info.
Dick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
(female)

moona74 HB User

Thank you dick. Yes, I am quite new here and would like to know is there any medicament, cream that will help me to reduce this terrible itching

Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Hmm...I am very new too, but didn't realize there was such a thing as diabetese itching of the foot??? Please explain more.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
(male)

dick11 HB User

DN cna happen to any diabetic. The usual cause is poor control of bg. The YMMV meaning that no two people are alike. What works for me, may not work for you. Yes there are creams and there are prescription meds that can help. For some, jsut getting your bg in control and lowering of A1C will reduce or eliminate the tingling, burning, itching, or whatever snesation you feel. Use the search engines to get ideas of what to try. Your doctor/endocrinologist should be your first choice.
I use a lotion on my feet almost every day, but it's to keep my skin soft. There are over-the-counter lotions for diabetics. Trial and error. Some soak in warm water.
Dick

Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
(female)

moona74 HB User

Hello Cindy! The diabetes is terrible thing with a lot of complications. Yes, I have feet itching caused by diabetes. My nerves are attacked by high level of sugar and they are fighting with by itching. All the time, especially in the evening, I am scratching my feet and by doing that I make open wounds so I would like to know is there anything that I can take for reducing the itching

Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
(female)

CindyB67 HB User

Thanks for explaining. That doesn't sound pleasant at all. I hope you find something that calms it down for you.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Moona,
As Dick mentioned in one of his posts, the first thing you should be doing is making sure you get your blood glucose levels under tighter control.

There are some other things you can do, depending on what's going on. For neuropathy, sometimes taking Alpha lipoic acid or gamma lipoic acid can help. As far as open sores on your feet, you need to make certain you apply moisturizing cream on a daily basis, and make sure you see a podiatrist to have your feet taken care of...nails cut, callouses removed, etc. Sometimes the itching can actually be from dry skin instead of neuropathy.

But, if your numbers are not good, you are risking far more than itchy feet. You could eventually lose the feeling in your feet and legs, not to mention other serious complications. So getting your numbers down is extremely important.

Ruth

Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
(female)

moona74 HB User

Dear all thank you for your precious help. I will be around if you need anything from me.

Closed Thread