It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
urine home glucose and ketone tests

hey guys. im not currently a diagnosed diabetic however it is in my family and after a 3 year battle with an illness i have gained almost 90 lbs. i used to weight 147 and now im a plump 230lbs! im 6 foot 1 but a gut still rears its head. i realize that i get very anxious if i don't eat. food is almost always on my mind and i obsess about when i will eat next.

i recently bought some testing strips to put my mind to ease on certain issues dealing with diabetes. i do realize that blood tests will be more specific compared to urine tests

my question is this. 1st off when is a good time to take the urine test? 1st thing in the morning? before or after eating? and my second question is this. i know that these urine tests can only really tell if your ketones and glucose is above a certain amount. does having an abnormal test result on these tests suggest diabetes?? and if the test is negative is it a good chance that you don't have anything to worry about atleast at the time?? i know that you can have a certain level of glucose that won't show up on the test but you could still possible have diabetes.

whats the consensious on this? if i were to take random urine tests and all results come back negative is there a good chance i don't have diabetes??

Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: urine home glucose and ketone tests

Random urine tests will not tell you enough. You only spill sugar and/or ketones in your urine if your blood sugar is extremely high. You could be way over normal range and still not spill sugar or ketones.

Best thing to do would be to buy a blood glucose meter...I believe some people have said that the WalMart brand is fairly inexpensive (although it will be more expensive than a vial of test strips.) Failing that, at least get the blood-testing strips (Chemstrips is one brand). Those will react to mild, moderate and large amounts of glucose in the blood...you still have to stick your finger.

I think you're quite smart to be concerned, given your family history and the amount of weight you gained. It is a lot better to stay on top of things and get treatment right away if you do turn out to be diabetic than to wait so long that you end up with permanent damage to something (nerves, heart, kidneys, etc.). Some people may come on here and tell you to "just watch your diet and exercise", and that's good advice, but given your other illness, it might not be possible for you to lose the weight you've gained. So do test, and make sure your doctor does both a fasting blood glucose and an A1c at least 2-3 times a year.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread