It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
normal readings

hey. im not a diagnosed diabetic but it in my family and i went out to buy a meter to just check to see where im at

last night i took a random one and it was 104. i had eated alittle before hand

this morning after 9 hours of sleep it was 94.

i ate breakfast and it went up to 129 and an hour later was at 117

after 2 hours it was back to 100

is it normal for the blood sugar to go up after eating like that?? when should i start to worry

what are the normal blood glucose readings for someone without diabetes

Last edited by comeandrelax; 08-15-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: normal readings

Those numbers are completely normal.

First thing to understand is that blood sugar levels are not static...they don't stay at one number all the time, and they definitely go up in response to eating, even for a non-diabetic. And they will go up more or less depending on the type of food eaten. The major difference in blood glucose levels between diabetics and non-diabetics is that in a diabetic person the blood sugar will go up much higher after the same amount of food and will take quite a bit longer to come down than in a non-diabetic person.

According to the Joslin Diabetes Center, good blood glucose ranges for the non-diabetic are as follows:

Before breakfast (fasting): Less than 100
Before lunch, supper or snack: Less than 110
Two hours after a meal: Less than 140
Bedtime: Less than 120

A1c: Less than 6.0 (although most non-diabetics will
have A1c's in the 4-5.0 range)

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

awesome thank you

Old 08-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

i just ate mac and cheese and i took my blood 5 mins later and it reads 168!!!

is that bad? i realize i just now ate it and that it will spike sugars but is that high??

Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

You can go as high as 180 as a non diabetic. Since you had eaten less than two hours before you checked, you're just responding to the high amount of carbs in the mac and cheese. It's not something to worry about unless its still over 140 two hours after you started eating. Even if it is over 140 after two hours, some foods take longer for your body to process. A BG reading is a "snapshot" of your blood sugar, it only tells you what is happening right at that moment, it doesn't show trends. You would likely need more than one reading over 140 to be diagnosed T2.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

thanks guys this makes me feel better. i called the number on the testing box and they said well yeah your glucose went up kinda high you ate mac and cheese and then took your sugars 10 mins later

Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

It's absolutely pointless to test your blood sugar ten minutes AFTER you eat! The best way to determine how your body is reacting to carbohydrates is to test AM fastings a few times a week, and then do some post-prandial tests (2 hours AFTER a meal, start the timing from when you begin the meal, not when you finish.)

Also, it's very hard to guage anything from a high-fat meal, as fat slows the absorption of carbohydrates. You'd get better information if you test after a normal meal which is less than 25% fat to total calories.

Ruth

Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
(female)

Frances1952 HB User

I have a couple of questions. I thought you would check after you finished eating. I want to do it right and get the correct results. Is there that much difference when you start vs. when you finish.

Also, could you tell me what it should be 4 hours after starting a meal.

Is it OK to drink juice that has no sugar added or will it make the readings way too high???

Thanks.

Last edited by Frances1952; 08-19-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Closed Thread