It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

olliedoll HB User
Unhappy Glucophage making me sick!

Two weeks I went to the doctor and learned my insulin levels were double what they should be. The doctor put me on 1500mg of Glucophage. I have slowly worked up to the max dose but its making me very sick. I'm vomiting, have diarrhea, bloating, and gas. I had to leave work early today because I felt so bad. The doctor had me taking all three tablets at night with dinner. I called them today and they said I could take it throughout the day to see if this helps. Has anyone else had this problem with the medication? I could use some encouraginng words.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
(female)

Mary Mae HB User
Re: Glucophage making me sick!

Hi --- I take gluophage (Metformin) --- 2000 mg. I take it twice a day(1000 each time). When I first started taking it, it gave my stomach fits!!!! SO, I started taking it in the middle of my mills. This worked for me.

When are you taking yours? If you are not taking it mid meal ---- try that and see if it helps. If not, you definetly need to make your dr. understand the problems you are having. Since you were taking the whole 1500, that could have been the problem also.

This may not be the answer for you but it worked for me. It may also be a matter of time. You may just need to keep taking it till your body gets used to it.

Please let me know how you are feeling.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

Katie85 HB User

My doc put me on 2000mg a day and it also made me very sick. Abd pain, diarrhea, nausea. I eventually had to stop taking it, but my doctor wants me to start it again, she brings it up everytime I see her. I also tried Byetta for a while, two injections a day, but I stopped that as well because I was having problems with my sugar getting too low.

Ask about fortamet, I've heard it's not so harsh on your stomach. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
(female)

ajd77 HB User

I started on metformin for type two diabetes and it made me sicker than I have ever been in my life. Not only did it tear my digestive system up, I had hives and still have the feeling of aching and headache. After several blood tests and visits to the ER and the doctor, he did inform me that all of my problems were indeed from the metformin. It is like poison. The doctor started me on glipizide, I pray that this will work and I will start feeling better.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Hi everyone. A few months ago I started on a brand of metformin my dr. prescribed called Glumetza. This brand is supposed to result in minimal side effects b/c it's metabolized differently than generic metformin/glucophage.

I've always had a very senstive tummy, and luckily the Glumetza did not make me sick. I was gassy for the first few days but that subsided.

The catch to the Glumetza is that it is more expensive than generic metformin. But I personally feel it's worth spending more to avoid nasty side effects.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
(female)

olliedoll HB User

Since Monday I have been taking one metformin at each meal. It seemed to working okay until today. I've had diarrhea all day and I'm really worried that I'm dehydrated since I've had so much vomiting and diarrhea. I want to give this medicine a chance. I've been on it for two weeks. When can I expect the side effects to get better?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
Hi everyone. A few months ago I started on a brand of metformin my dr. prescribed called Glumetza. This brand is supposed to result in minimal side effects b/c it's metabolized differently than generic metformin/glucophage.

I've always had a very senstive tummy, and luckily the Glumetza did not make me sick. I was gassy for the first few days but that subsided.

The catch to the Glumetza is that it is more expensive than generic metformin. But I personally feel it's worth spending more to avoid nasty side effects.
Hi Uma_anne

How often do you take it daily ? Are you on the extended release version ?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Hi - so far I take two pills at bedtime (1000mg) and yup, it's extended release I believe.

Closed Thread