It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Question on insulin & c-peptide levels

I'm a recently diagnosed type 2. I don't exactly fit the typical profile. I'm 49, always been thin and have no family history. I'm able to keep my levels pretty much between 90 and 180 on a high fat/high protein/very low carb diet as long as I don't slip.

What's got me puzzled is I got a copy of my recent labs. Back in may, the gp had done a random insulin and c-peptide in which the insulin came in at 6.4 with a normal fasting range of 3.0 - 25.0 and a c-peptide of 2.6 (1.1 -5.0). He said he wanted a fasting this last time and the insulin came in low at 2.1 and the c-peptide at 1.7. I was just kind of surprised. Any thoughts on this? I don't see him again until the 11th of september and I'm trying to figure what to make of it.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

LilliTN HB User
Re: Question on insulin & c-peptide levels

Would love to hear some response on your question. I am keeping my fasting in the 80s now with exercise and strict diet. I too am 49 and at 5'3" only weigh about 94 (gained 2 pounds recently where I'd lost 12 in a 3 month period not on purpose!!!!!) I was initially dx'd "pre" on a fasting of 101 but had been feeling pretty yuck and dizzy prior and always have eaten high carb diet before this. My fasting insulin was also recently 2.0 and my C-peptide is barely in the normal range (.96 I think). My 2 hr. post when eating around 30-40 carbs is over 150.

My doctor (internist) seems to think I'm perfectly fine with these numbers and actually makes fun of my concern. He seems only concerned with my fasting glucose number and A1C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Question on insulin & c-peptide levels

I'd love a response too. I know there's someone around here who can explain it. hint hint Come on all you brainiacs. I know you're hiding around here somewhere.

You're a itty bitty thing. I'm 5'2" and fighting my darndest to stay above 103. My healthy weight is a muscular 112-115. My fastings jumped up and down for quite a while. At first the gp thought the sugar problem was due to the hyperthyroidism but that's not been an issue for over a year now. In March, he formally diagnosed me DMII. He gave me a meter July a year ago and had me watch the fastings. Around xmas he told me to test 4 times a day and determine what diet works for me. He also told me to start using fish oil and as long as I keep my HDL at 60 or above, I can eat as much fat as I want. I now eat mostly Angus beef and veggies. I get all the hubby's fat and chicken skin off his plate too. We're play Jack Sprat and his wife.

The other thing I'm finding is that stress shoots it up. Folks just left here a little while ago. I was getting ready to eat lunch after they left and checked and found I was at 230. I won't go into the stress issue there but it has to do with the fact that I haven't told em about these medical issues and my mom kept asking me if I was sure I'm alright. I've got a customer who got me to 334. He is the most frustrating person I've ever run into in my life.

The gp's been following the a1c level. I can't take medications cause of contraindications and he said he's going to start me on insulin when the a1c's above 6.5. He said he'd like to see it at 5.5. I've been on Lyrica and codeine since late last fall for intercostal neuralgia. We both figured, based on the logs that I was going to blow a 7 on this last one. It was 5.9 but a review of the other labs prompted a workup for hemolytic anemia. Turns out I have hemolysis without anemia and it looks like it's been around for a while. For at least as long as he's been following the a1c's. I also flunked the neuro exam and am going for an mri of the head and brainstem on thursday.

So here I sit. Looks like I've got falsely lowered a1c levels and pretty severe neuro problems and to top it off, I feel like crap and he's looking for lesions in the brain or a possible malignancy.

I'm just so confused right now, I don't know which way to spin.

Closed Thread