It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

cjrlv65 HB User
Diabetes Itching

Hello,

My husband is a diabetec and he is on insulin! He has a SEVERE itching problem. He itches on his arms, stomach and back! He itches so bad that he breaks the skin. then last night I noticied these little red dots on his chest and back. He is thinking it is caused from his insulin but I am thinking he has something else going on. Has anyone ever heard that Diabetes can cause itching? I feel so bad for him because he itches so bad and it drives him crazy. He says it feels like pins coming out of his skin. He went to the dermatologist and she gave him a lotion to put on when he showers and then a cream to put on when he gets out of the shower. Can anyone shed some light on this subject.

Thank you!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

Hersheykiss HB User
Re: Diabetes Itching

I've been type 1 and on insulin for nearly 30 years. I have had itchy skin on my lower legs for the past 2 years, which drives me nuts! Mine is I believe mostly due to something other than diabetes. Did the itching start right after starting insulin? It is possible he could be having a reaction to the insulin. What type does he take? It sounds more like an allergic reaction to something. Any new soaps or detergents in the house? Anything going on with your water system? We have horrible water so I partially blame that plus I'm allergic to almost everything to begin with.

Last edited by Hersheykiss; 08-26-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Diabetes Itching

Unfortunately, it's also possible that the itching could be coming from kidney disease. He should definitely have his creatinine levels checked as well as having his urine checked for proteins.

Ruth

Closed Thread