It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

shonks5 HB User
Sweet potato balances BS?

I read that sweet potatoes help balance blood sugar. I had one with dinner tonight. Had pork, broccoli, and a plain sweet potato. 1 hr postpranial bs was 205, 2hr bs 95. Does that mean I am no longer insulin resistant, and am now diabetic? I think I'll pass on the sweet potatoes! Anyone else have this experience?

Shonks 5

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
(female)

Kinselmom HB User
Re: Sweet potato balances BS?

The thing about sweet potatos is that they have more fiber than a white potato and so take longer to digest than a white potato. You are less likely to get a 'spike' eating a sweet potato, but don't forget that a carb is a carb is a carb.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I eat a small sweet potato many nights with dinner as my carb in my meal. I only put some brummel and brown spread on it. I bake it in the oven, peel off the skin and then mash it with my fork. I'd say I eat about 26g carb of sweet potato, and the rest is lean mean & veggies. My readings are anywhere from about 95-105 2hrs after. It depends on the size you are eating of one. I have a digital scale and I weigh mine after I've mashed it, and about 5 oz. is around 26g/carb. The bigger it is, the more carbs you are eating.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
(female)

shonks5 HB User

After eating the sweet potato my bs was good at 95 two-hr postpranial, it alarmed me to see it at 205 one hour post pranial. I read on one of the posts here that bs should never go over 180 anytime, but that taking bs 1 hour after start of a meal is not really necessary. I have hypothyroid problems, too much replacement makes my bp go too high, I'm wondering if thyroid problems can cause this type of problem. I can never get a straight answer from the doctors. Its hard to find any two that agree. My two-hour postpranial readings are always good. But my morning numbers are a little high 119 or so. I'm already on thyroid replacement, and 2 differant bp meds. I really don't want to have to take anything for bs control, I already have trouble with the thyroid meds, and adding anything else to the mix might make things even worse. I think for now I will avoid the sweet potatoes, or only eat a little bit. I want to control this before it becomes full blown diabetes, or do my numbers indicate that I'm already there? Thanks for the replys!

Shonks 5

Closed Thread