It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: rock tavern,NY,usa
Posts: 33
dawnmn HB User
fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some people?

I hope someone on this board who is very knowledgeable about diabetes can answer this for me.

I am a 41 year old female that has fasting blood glucose done yearly, and I have for about 4 years now. I have always ran in the 94 to 100 range, and no doctor has ever mentioned anything about pre-diabetes to me, or that I should be running somewhere in the 80's instead of the 90's. I had an A1c test done in 06' at my request because my glucose result that year was 100, and I was concerned. That came back at 5.5 with a mean glucose of 97.2, whatever that means. My doctor was not at all worried since the A1c was normal. Unfortunately, I do have risk factors for this disease- my father is insulin dependent type 2, and has been since his mid forties. His mother was also diabetic. I am about 30 pounds overweight, but other than that, pretty healthy. My cholesterol, HDL, trigs, and LDL are all excellent. I have read that optimal sugar levels for non-diabetics should be in the 80's, and anything consistently in the mid 90's could be a risk factor for developing diabetes later on. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Could a person's sugar levels always run higher but not develop the disease? Also, silly question, but is a daughter more at risk of developing diabetes if her father, rather than her mother, is diabetic? I read this also and was wondering if there is any truth to this at all. If anyone can answer some of my questions, I'd be grateful!! Thanks-

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 3,526
SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Dawn,
I don't know about optimal, but I 90-100 is still in the normal range. 101-125 is pre-diabetic, and 126 and over on two or more fasting bg's is indicative of diabetes.

However, I'm curious as to why you're so concerned about the number, but haven't done anything about the weight? Given your history, you are definitely a candidate for T2. The best way for you to avoid developing T2 is to get your weight down. Sometimes even a weight loss of ten pounds can help.

And just keep an eye on the numbers. If they start registering over 100, I'm sure your doctor will warn you that you've then become pre-diabetic.

Ruth

 
Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: rock tavern,NY,usa
Posts: 33
dawnmn HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Thanks for your information Ruth. To answer your question, I had lost 45 pounds two years ago on WW and got down to a normal weight range and BMI for my height. I was thrilled!! However, over the last year my husband has been having some medical problems. Stress makes me eat more so over the last few months I've slowly gained back about 18 pounds of my original lost weight. I say I'm 30 pounds overweight because for my height, I could go much lower (I'm only 5'1) than even what my original weight loss total was. I have a problem with food-typical eating disorder, which I know will not help me with my risk factors for type2. At 41 now, I'm watching my sugar numbers more just because I know my weight may push me over the edge as far as becoming prediabetic, and I want to watch out for that. If my numbers ever get over 100 and I have weight to lose, that's incentive enough to get back on my diet. Too much stress now to worry about weight, although I know it's important. Thanks again for your reply!!

 
Old 08-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
itotito HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmn View Post
I'm watching my sugar numbers more just because I know my weight may push me over the edge as far as becoming prediabetic, and I want to watch out for that. If my numbers ever get over 100 and I have weight to lose, that's incentive enough to get back on my diet. Too much stress now to worry about weight, although I know it's important. Thanks again for your reply!!
Hi Dawn,

As a person who lost over 60 lbs I know how tough it can be.

But you know you can do it !!! Don't wait until your fasting numbers get worst.

Excess weight causes insulin resistance. Over time, the insulin resistance worstens and the pancreas tires. Insulin resistance causes the pancreas to have to work overtime.

This process of degeneration does not show up in fasting levels for a while and when it does it's sometimes too late.

Also, don't underestimate the damage caused by stress.

You've done it before, you know you can do it again. Best way in my opinion, is to slow break into an excercise routine and slowly take the weight off.

 
Old 08-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: rock tavern,NY,usa
Posts: 33
dawnmn HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Thanks for your inspiring words itotito, and congrats to you for your 60 pound weight loss!! I realize how important maintaining a normal weight is for diabetics and prediabetics in particular. I also agree how fasting numbers can swiftly change at any given time, and sometimes it's too late at that point to stop the diabetes from progressing. That's one of the reasons for my yearly glucose checks. I was just curious about glucose numbers running in the higher range for some people, and if that was just normal for me, because even when I was down under 130 pounds, I still ran in the mid to higher 90's. I would love some more input from people!!

 
Old 08-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
itotito HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmn View Post
I was just curious about glucose numbers running in the higher range for some people, and if that was just normal for me, because even when I was down under 130 pounds, I still ran in the mid to higher 90's. I would love some more input from people!!
There are people that do have a high fasting glucose levels. Here is a cut and paste on a form of MODY

"People with one common form of MODY, where the defect is in the production of Glucokinase, have mildly elevated fasting blood sugars which cannot be lowered, however this form of diabetes rarely progresses and can be controlled with diet. It rarely causes the severe complications of other forms"


If you want to be sure check your 2hr post meal levels with a meter.

There are people here that have as good 1ac, better fasting and are diabetic. better to know than to have things getting worst in silence.

 
Old 08-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: rock tavern,NY,usa
Posts: 33
dawnmn HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Thanks again itotito-I have never heard of MODY-how interesting, I'll have to do more research on that. How would I know if I had that form of diabetes? What type of glucose meters are people using on here (what do you use?) and how do they work? Since I'm not actually diabetic (for now, anyway) would it still be a good idea to purchase a meter and check weekly levels on myself to keep on top of this? Your absolutely correct that I would want to find out about this now rather than have things get worse over time. I'm planning on scheduling my next glucose check with my PCP in December, but maybe I'll try the meter on myself before that. Sorry about all the questions-This disease just really scares me since I'm right on the other side of the fence from it!! Thanks-

 
Old 08-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
itotito HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmn View Post
Thanks again itotito-I have never heard of MODY-how interesting, I'll have to do more research on that. How would I know if I had that form of diabetes? What type of glucose meters are people using on here (what do you use?) and how do they work? Since I'm not actually diabetic (for now, anyway) would it still be a good idea to purchase a meter and check weekly levels on myself to keep on top of this? Your absolutely correct that I would want to find out about this now rather than have things get worse over time. I'm planning on scheduling my next glucose check with my PCP in December, but maybe I'll try the meter on myself before that. Sorry about all the questions-This disease just really scares me since I'm right on the other side of the fence from it!! Thanks-
First of all, never be sorry for asking questions. If we can help prevent or slow down this thing for a fellow human being I am a happy camper.

MODY requires testing for specific genes so I am not sure how you would. But if you have a high fasting level but your postpriandial numbers are normal, you would probably fit the profile. If your postprandial numbers are bad then it may be another form or a combination of conditions.

I use the AccuCheck and I am very happy with it. My numbers match the lab numbers pretty well. When I go for my blood tests, I measure at the same time and usually come pretty close.

This is how I started figuring out what my body was doing.

I measured morning fasting. Then I ate a regular bagel, checked one hour and 2 hour after. I also checked at 4PM, 4 hours after lunch, had another bagel and tested 1 hour and 2 hour after that.

Let me explain why. A bagel is about 50g of carbs and has a high GI index, meaning it raises your glucose level quickly. The reason I do the same test morning and afternoon is to see the difference the morning hormonal cycle makes. The reason I check 1 hour and 2 hour is to see how the first phase of insulin and second phase of insulin response are working.

If 1 hour is low and 2 hour is lower, you sound perfectly normal.
If 1 hour is high and 2 hour is ok, you sound like first phase insulin response is off, which is the first to go with T2 diabetics.
If 2 hour is not ok, you may be insulin resistant .

If you are anything but perfectly normal, then it's worth discussing with dr.

When I started experimenting, I compared myself to my wife to see her fasting, 1 hour and 2 hour numbers.

Last edited by itotito; 08-23-2008 at 06:17 PM.

 
Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: rock tavern,NY,usa
Posts: 33
dawnmn HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Thanks-I'll have to look into possibly purchasing the AccuCheck. Another question-What is your opinion of a 3 hour GTT? Is it common for this test to be given to people with a family history of diabetes? I have read that the only true way of diagnosing diabetes is with that test, and I have only had it done once, during my pregnancy, and all was normal. I was 37 at the time, so it's been a few years since I had it done. I'm wondering if I should have the GTT test even before anymore glucose bloodwork is done. My sister had one a few months ago for some neuropathy issues, and she was fine, so it probably wouldn't hurt for me to get one again. Did you have that test done to diagnose your diabetes or was it through bloodwork?

 
Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
itotito HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmn View Post
Thanks-I'll have to look into possibly purchasing the AccuCheck. Another question-What is your opinion of a 3 hour GTT? Is it common for this test to be given to people with a family history of diabetes? I have read that the only true way of diagnosing diabetes is with that test, and I have only had it done once, during my pregnancy, and all was normal. I was 37 at the time, so it's been a few years since I had it done. I'm wondering if I should have the GTT test even before anymore glucose bloodwork is done. My sister had one a few months ago for some neuropathy issues, and she was fine, so it probably wouldn't hurt for me to get one again. Did you have that test done to diagnose your diabetes or was it through bloodwork?
My diabetes diagnosis was in 2 phases . I was 60lbs heavier than I am now. My fasting levels and 1ac were so bad I didn't need an OGTT. I first lost 50lbs and it all went away. I went from a 230 to a 90 fasting just by losing the weight. Little or no excercise. This is proof weight makes a huge difference. I managed to 'appear' non diabetic for about 6 or 7 years. I say appear because while my fasting levels were low and my 1ac was good, I suspect my post meal numbers were not perfect. But I was ignorant about the whole thing. I think there was still slow damage being done. I probably should have been controlling my diet and doing more excercise. But my dr said it was gone and I believed him.

Then about 6 years later my fastings slowly started to rise, even though my weight remained down. They did an OGTT and I was diagnosed. I lost another 10lbs, and became an excercise nut. I can keep a 5.1 1ac without medication which is ok. But I work hard to keep it down. I did a ton of reading and experimentation to figure out how my body was behaving.

Yes, the 2nd confirmation of my diabetes was with a OGTT. They make you drink a high glucose load and take your blood at 2 hours. There are variations of it, where they take blood at 1hr, 2hr and 3 hours, sometimes measuring insulin levels....But 2hour above 200 is the gold standard for diagnosing diabetes.

There are 3 tests : Fasting, 1ac and OGTT. The fasting test is the one they do most often and I personally believe a lot of diabetics are NOT being diagnosed. I believe the most meaning test is the OGTT. They don't do it as much because it is very intrusive, having to stick around a clinic for hours. Once diagnosed, the 1ac is more to see how you are controlling your diabetes. If your fasting is good and your 1ac is at the high end of normal, it's probably worth testing with a GTT.

The first thing that starts to 'not work' for T2s is the post meals rise in glucose levels. Neither the fasting or 1ac catch this early. Only the OGTT does.

You can do the equivalent of a GTT by eating a high GI, high carb meal or drink, like a bagel, and measuring at 1,2 and 3 hours. If the numbers are 'high', then it's definitely worth doing the formal GTT.

I wish I knew then what I know now. I would have never let myself get to the point I was 60lbs overweight. Oh well, I can't turn back time. Time to go run ;-)

Last edited by itotito; 08-24-2008 at 09:07 AM.

 
Old 08-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: rock tavern,NY,usa
Posts: 33
dawnmn HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

You have been so very helpful to me with all your info!! And you are so knowledgeable and on top of your own situation-that's how I want to be!!

I'm definitely going to do the OGTT, but I want to wait to drop some pounds, no point checking everything out until I'm down to my ideal weight to get the most accurate results. That will probably take me into early November to do, but I have renewed incentive to start my diet now especially since I have a sneaky suspicion that I may be pre-diabetic, and the OGTT will hopefully tell me for certain. I also want to start to exercise again-my daughter starts preschool in 2 weeks, and that will give me 3 mornings a week to myself to get it done, so no excuses!

Did you have any symptoms of diabetes before you got diagnosed? I know you mentioned your fasting and A1C were very bad, but was that the only way you found out about your type2? I find that I get hungry a lot, and frequently crave sweets. I also urinate a lot-but I have done that for many years, nothing new or recent, and I think it's just incontinence. I do get tired in the late afternoons-but not so bad that I feel something isn't right healthwise with me. I suffer from terrible insomnia, and do not sleep much more than 5 hours a night, so I think that explains my P.M. fatigue. I also occasionally get mild night sweats, but I think that is just hormonal and hopefully nothing more. I guess the symptoms of diabetes are so vague and insidious, that's it's no wonder so many people walk around many years before they get diagnosed. I hope I'm not one of them, but better to find out now than too late!

 
Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
itotito HB User
Re: fasting glucose always runs mid to upper 90's-pre-diabetes or normal for some peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnmn View Post
You have been so very helpful to me with all your info!! And you are so knowledgeable and on top of your own situation-that's how I want to be!!

I'm definitely going to do the OGTT, but I want to wait to drop some pounds, no point checking everything out until I'm down to my ideal weight to get the most accurate results. That will probably take me into early November to do, but I have renewed incentive to start my diet now especially since I have a sneaky suspicion that I may be pre-diabetic, and the OGTT will hopefully tell me for certain. I also want to start to exercise again-my daughter starts preschool in 2 weeks, and that will give me 3 mornings a week to myself to get it done, so no excuses!

Did you have any symptoms of diabetes before you got diagnosed? I know you mentioned your fasting and A1C were very bad, but was that the only way you found out about your type2? I find that I get hungry a lot, and frequently crave sweets. I also urinate a lot-but I have done that for many years, nothing new or recent, and I think it's just incontinence. I do get tired in the late afternoons-but not so bad that I feel something isn't right healthwise with me. I suffer from terrible insomnia, and do not sleep much more than 5 hours a night, so I think that explains my P.M. fatigue. I also occasionally get mild night sweats, but I think that is just hormonal and hopefully nothing more. I guess the symptoms of diabetes are so vague and insidious, that's it's no wonder so many people walk around many years before they get diagnosed. I hope I'm not one of them, but better to find out now than too late!
Like I said, if one bit of knowledge I have acquired the hard way can be useful, I am a happy camper.

If your 1ac is 5.5, I doubt your frequent urination is diabetic related.

When I have the very high fasting levels before losing the bulk of the weight I would wake up at night very thirsty and urinating a lot. This was because I was passing sugar in my urine which happens at very high glucose levels. If this were the case for you, your 1ac would NOT be 5.5.

It was coincidence I noticed this. I mentionned this to my doc, he made me pipi in a bottle on the spot, and checked for sugar in my urine. He found a trace and the whole sage began.


Now, I have no symptoms, but i am very controlled. Sometime I get very mild sweats. When I check my levels and they are normal. Many things can cause this, so don't automatically associate them to high sugar levels.

The whole insomnia thing can be part of the explanation of your high morning levels. If for example you have elevated cortisol levels (due to stress) this can cause you to have trouble sleeping and cause your glucose levels to rise.

try measuring eary am while fasting and try around 4pm after 4 hours of fasting (stop eating at noon). 4PM is when your cortisol levels are lowest during the day. If stress is causing part of the rise in glucose levels, you'll probably see lower fasting levels at 4PM than 8AM.

On one hand diabetes is a nasty disease. On the other, it is what has got me back in shape. I have become very athletic, I watch what I eat and I know more about my body than I ever did. I figure that I would have died of a heart attack at 45 if I had not got the wake up call from diabetes. I consider myself lucky. Catching it a bit earlier would have been better, but we don't control everything.

Don't hesitate to ask and please don't just take my opinions. There are some very knowledgeable people on this board.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to itotito For This Useful Post:
peace4health (01-17-2012)
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
fasting hypoglycemia? jen77 Hypoglycemia 6 10-23-2008 01:53 PM
fasting glucose in 70s Liz1965 Diabetes 1 09-23-2008 08:04 PM
Fasting glucose at 7.0 - I'm worried! iworryalot Diabetes 2 06-28-2008 01:56 AM
Borderline Fasting Glucose Level ljwhorfin Diabetes 1 08-16-2006 07:26 PM
another fasting bg question mama8 Diabetes 4 04-23-2006 07:32 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Actos
Amaryl
Avandia
Glipizide Glucophage
  Humalog
Lantus
Metformin
Novolog
Potassium







All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!