It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

Frances1952 HB User
Meter readings

I have a breeze 2. I will test my blood and sometimes test it again immediately. Many times the results will be alot different. It might say 140 the first time and 110 the second. I know they are not exact, but are they normally this far off.

Also, I know it should be under 160 after eating 2 hours, but what should it be at 4 hours????? Should it continue to go down?????

Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Meter readings

Re: the differing readings... Every meter on the market has a 20% error, which means that two readings at the exact same time can differ 20%. i.e. The first reading of 200 could produce a second reading of between 160-240, which is a HUGE range. So I'm not surprised about the variation between your readings, it's normal, even if it's not as accurate as we'd all like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
(female)

Frances1952 HB User

So in the morning if mine is 110 it could really be 90 or it could be 130. How do determine which one it really is?????????????

Old 08-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

A good way to determine the general calibration of your particular meter is to compare the 30-day average that it stores to your HbA1c. Record the 30-day average in your meter on the day you have the blood draw.

Compare your 30-day average reading using a conversion chart of HbA1c percentage to blood sugar level.

Then, you know the AVERAGE error of your meter and your measurement technique and have a calibrated setup.

The thing to remember is that the meter's purpose is for you to adjust your inputs, your diet, your exercise, insulin (if you use it). Oral meds are not usually "adjusted" by daily readings, but by the HbA1c itself.

And, that the goal is a long-term goal, not a daily goal. It matters little if the measurement accuracy is +/- 20 percent. Because it's going to be high some times, and low some times. So, in the long-term, it averages out....

What I suggested to you about the 30-day average will tell you how many times it's high versus how many times it's low. This is useful for you to know. If you know that your meter is "biased" high, then you can use the readings by subtracting a little "fudge factor". If you know it's biased low, then add a little fudge factor....

Quote:
Also, I know it should be under 160 after eating 2 hours, but what should it be at 4 hours????? Should it continue to go down?????
The thing to remember about this is that in diabetes, the rules become exceptions. Yes, in a healthy person, the reading will continue to go down. In fact, in a healthy person a couple hours after eating, the level won't be 160 either.

My guess is for you that you should have 120 4 hours after a meal if you have 160 at two hours. It's only a guess, mind you, but in general, your reading will go down. How rapidly is the problem of diabetes.....

Last edited by tfkeel; 08-27-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
(female)

Frances1952 HB User

Thank you so much for you help. I am normally about 140 2 hours after a meal. If I eat something light I might be 120 after 2 hours. So, the bg doesn't go down after a certain point????

Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I am not really sure what answer you are looking for, so I am going to try these two, and please feel free to say that I gave you the wrong answer....

If I take "bg" to mean "blood glucose"

In a non-diabetic, a 4-hour period after eating a balanced meal pretty much says "the party's over"....and with balanced meals which don't have lots of fat, probably 3 hours.

In a diabetic, this period gets longer. And how much longer is an indicator of how bad the diabetes is.

This is the principle behind the glucose-tolerance test... it is a measure on how fast the body metabolizes the glucose. Sometimes, only the starting level and the 2-hour reading are the only ones taken. Readings of greater than 126 at "rest" and greater than 200 at 2 hours following glucose ingestion are the (debated) criteria for diabetes. A non-diabetic will have starting readings of less than 110, and a 2 hour reading of less than 140.

If "bg" means "background"....

Correct. All people have a "resting level" background blood sugar level. In a diabetic, this background level is higher than in a nondiabetic. This background level does not reduce over short terms numbered in hours. However, the goal of good diabetes management is to reduce this background level over a period of days and weeks to a non-diabetic level of less than 110 (and desirably, 100).

Old 08-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
(female)

Frances1952 HB User

Thank you, this helps alot. So at 4 hours it should be what it is going to be and won't be going any or much lower. That is what I was wondering. Someone said that at 4 hours it should be back at fasting level.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Accucheck meters claim to have a 10% error margin just FYI.

Closed Thread