It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Hope for a cure for Type 2 and maybe type 1?

For those who didn't get to read the stuff, Dr Melton's team has managed to turn ordinary cells into insulin producing cells. The technique is called direct reprogramming,

His technique does not require stem cells. Stem cell research has 'legal' and 'ethical' challenges associated to it, so the research is limited.

One of the challenges of this new technique is it uses a virus to do some of the work. Anyone see the movie "I am legend"

With the Dr's name and technique you should be able to find more info. It is fascinating stuff.

We cannot copy the link or article for copyright reasons.

Last edited by itotito; 08-28-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: do not post copyrighted material

Old 08-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Hope for a cure for Type 2 and maybe type 1?

Hi Itotito,

There was a fairly in-depth article about this in yesterday's Boston Globe, too.

It does sound exciting, but having seen so many "miracle cures" in the past (islet cell transplantation comes to mind) that sounded good in the lab but didn't make it in reality, I'm a confirmed skeptic. That's not to say that I wouldn't just LOVE to be proved wrong, lol, but I'm not holding my breath waiting!

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

I hear you.

The one thing that struck me is the fact the doc working on this has two type 1 children. Now there's motivation to get this to work!!

This is more than fame and fortune. This is very personal.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-28-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

LilliTN HB User

<-removed->

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-28-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: do not post copyrighted material

Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

There ARE a couple of problems with this though... like they said, in T1s, there's nothing stopping the immune system from just destroying these beta cells again. Also, are these functioning exactly like a non-diabetic's beta cells, or are they just constantly pumping out insulin no matter what? That could be a huge issue... you'd basically be creating an insulinoma...

The article doesn't say, are these cells cultured, or from the patient, because then you have the same issue of islet cell transplant basically... you'd be trading insulin for a handful of immune suppressing drugs each day. I have a T1 doctor who had a pancreas transplant. It's working really well and she has been insulin free for over a year and a half, but she still MUST test 4x each day, and she knows its just a brief reprieve from insulin shots. Transplants only have a life span of 5-10 years, and given the autoimmunity issue of T1s, the pancreas just gets attacked again.

As for the cells being used for T2s, doesn't it all come down to the same thing... you're just giving T2s back the ability to produce insulin, but for how long??? T2 can be controlled for a while with just exercise and such, but most people end up needing insulin anyhow... what's stopping that from happening with the new cells. I guess if you just keep creating more beta cells you could stave off needing insulin indefinitely, but it would be SO expensive and impractical.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Recreating the insulin production is only half the battle.

For T1s, the other half is stopping them from being killed. I am not sure they are any further advanced on solving this problem. Maybe solving half the problem will spur more research into solving the other half.

For T2s the amount of time it takes to lose insulin production is much greater than T1. If it took 10 years to lose insulin production and you can buy yourself another 10 years, that's great. If you are helped by weight loss, diet excercise and medication you can prolong that time even more.

This research provides one piece of the big puzzle. Other meds/solutions are required to fix the insulin resistance problems, auto-immune system problems....

But if you look where we were 10 years ago and where we will be 10 years from now, I suspect we will be way ahead.

God forbid I pass on this crappy disease to my children, at least there's hope they may have better solutions.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-28-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
Please paraphrase in your own words what you read somewhere else. For copyright reasons, do not copy material directly from another website.
Understood

For those who didn't get to read the stuff, Dr Melton's team has managed to turn ordinary cells into insulin producing cells. The technique is called direct reprogramming,

His technique does not require stem cells. Stem cell research has 'legal' and 'ethical' challenges associated to it, so the research is limited.

One of the challenges of this new technique is it uses a virus to do some of the work. Anyone see the movie "I am legend"

With the Dr's name and technique you should be able to find more info. It is fascinating stuff

I will go add this to the original post as well.

Last edited by itotito; 08-28-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Closed Thread