It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

orbchaser HB User
Unhappy I'm In Insulin Resistance Hell

I've gained 100 pounds and haven't a clue why...then i'm told i'm IR. Metformin didn't do a thing to help, in fact i gained more weight. I also have MS so exercising alot is very hard for me. Is it true that resistance training is more beneficial for weight loss than cardio if a person has IR??

Old 08-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Re: I'm In Insulin Resistance Hell

It's good to have a combination of cardio and resistance training, but I believe it's been shown in clinical trials that resistance training increases insulin sensitivity. When you're weight training you also need to be careful not to overtrain or you'll actually wind up losing muscle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: I'm In Insulin Resistance Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbchaser View Post
I've gained 100 pounds and haven't a clue why...then i'm told i'm IR. Metformin didn't do a thing to help, in fact i gained more weight. I also have MS so exercising alot is very hard for me. Is it true that resistance training is more beneficial for weight loss than cardio if a person has IR??
Excess insulin does promote fat storage.

If you have gained 100bs you are taking in too many calories. This is where you need to start.

The studies say a combination of resistance and aerobic works best.

I run 30 miles a week, weight train 3 times and do situps and pushup daily. I can tell you that the thing that drops my glucose levels immediately is the cardio.

I have insulin resistance. I know that when my glucose levels get high enough, there is insulin flowing but not bringing my levels down as quickly as they should. If I do cardio at that point, my glucose levels will drop like a rock. Weight training does not do this to me.

The big advantage of the weight training is building the muscle mass and allowing muscle all over the body. Running and cycling will develop your legs, but upper body and core also need their workout.

If you are 100lbs overweight, I would suggest swimming. It builds muscle, provides cardio and you have less of a chance of hurting yourself.

Last edited by itotito; 09-01-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Closed Thread